• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2012 IDC Boards

Becks

Becks
Recruiter just got my physically qualified letter from MEPS. Next step is finding me a billet and then the swearing in.
Feels good. Congrats all!

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Paraphrasing a bit here:::

ME: What is the ETA on my COMDOCs?
CNRC: We are awaiting confirmation of your billet before we release them.

ME: Do I have a Billet yet?
Detailer: We are awaiting a copy of your COMDOCs before we finalize the billet.

Priceless…….

I have my billet in hand and I think the paperwork is now worked out. I am just awaiting the COMDOCs.

Just to make sure you all know, EVERYONE that I have dealt with in this process (including the people on this message board) has been wonderful to work with and have bent over backwards to help me, I just looked at the chain of events and though this to be humorous.

Have a Fine, Fine Navy Day Shipmates!

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Congrats! But you're not making us old guys feel any better. The Captain in my panel interview asked me if I'd consider doing Intel vs. IP. I said I'd do whatever the Navy wanted me to do. I think maybe I'll put myself in for more than one designator next time.

Hi NavyHusky,

When I had my panel interview about a month ago, the AOIC asked me the same question. According to the AOIC, "around 25%" of the Intel officers selected must have a "technical background." I've asked around in regards to how beneficial this would be for me and have gotten mixed responses. Some think it'd be a good idea, others do not. My recruiter said I should keep all my options open but did not sound too happy about it. I have not made a decision yet as I am focusing on getting a couple of certifications before I re-submit for the SEP12 board. Are you applying for Intel? Where are you applying out of?

exNavyOffRec

Hi NavyHusky,

When I had my panel interview about a month ago, the AOIC asked me the same question. According to the AOIC, "around 25%" of the Intel officers selected must have a "technical background." I've asked around in regards to how beneficial this would be for me and have gotten mixed responses. Some think it'd be a good idea, others do not. My recruiter said I should keep all my options open but did not sound too happy about it. I have not made a decision yet as I am focusing on getting a couple of certifications before I re-submit for the SEP12 board. Are you applying for Intel? Where are you applying out of?

FYI, the program authorization is in a re-write, the new PA will specify between a 60/40 to 80/20 split, tech/non tech

NavyHusky

Hi NavyHusky,

My recruiter said I should keep all my options open but did not sound too happy about it. I have not made a decision yet as I am focusing on getting a couple of certifications before I re-submit for the SEP12 board. Are you applying for Intel? Where are you applying out of?

I was applying for IP, out of Connecticut. I'm basically out of the race for now though. My degree is non-technical, it's only a Bachelor's, and my GPA wasn't stellar. When I started this process about a year ago, my recruiter hoped the intervening 15 years of high-level IT experience and 4.0 GPA in post-Bachelor's classes, as well as the high confidence ratings I got from my interviews, would outweigh my degree and GPA. However, the results of the March board (with most selected for IP having technical graduate degrees) and the recent PA re-writes have changed our minds. I don't have the checks they want for their boxes, and there's no way to undo my past academics in the time left to me (I'm 37, 38 in February).

My primary goal is to serve one way or another. It makes zero difference to me if I'm an officer or enlisted. I regret having burned a year going through the process, but it was worth a shot. Plus, the experience of interviewing with the various officers and boards was very enlightening. I was going for HR at the same time, so I met a few officers during that process too. We had a lot of enlightening conversations, and I think I saw parts of Newport that most people don't get to.

I could continue applying as an officer as most people here advise you to, and if I was younger I would. But in another year or so I'll be too old to enlist, and if I never get picked up as an officer either I never accomplish my goal. So after a summer of CrossFit with some USN and USMC vets as instructors, I'll be enlisting this fall as an IT. Having a local billet will be nice, instead of having to drive 8 hours to DC. And if I decide I still want to pursue an officer program, I can do so without having to worry about racing against my age.

Sorry if that was more info that you were looking for, or if I've posted this same blurb before!

Hector Torres

htorrespr
I was applying for IP, out of Connecticut. I'm basically out of the race for now though. My degree is non-technical, it's only a Bachelor's, and my GPA wasn't stellar. When I started this process about a year ago, my recruiter hoped the intervening 15 years of high-level IT experience and 4.0 GPA in post-Bachelor's classes, as well as the high confidence ratings I got from my interviews, would outweigh my degree and GPA. However, the results of the March board (with most selected for IP having technical graduate degrees) and the recent PA re-writes have changed our minds. I don't have the checks they want for their boxes, and there's no way to undo my past academics in the time left to me (I'm 37, 38 in February).

My primary goal is to serve one way or another. It makes zero difference to me if I'm an officer or enlisted. I regret having burned a year going through the process, but it was worth a shot. Plus, the experience of interviewing with the various officers and boards was very enlightening. I was going for HR at the same time, so I met a few officers during that process too. We had a lot of enlightening conversations, and I think I saw parts of Newport that most people don't get to.

I could continue applying as an officer as most people here advise you to, and if I was younger I would. But in another year or so I'll be too old to enlist, and if I never get picked up as an officer either I never accomplish my goal. So after a summer of CrossFit with some USN and USMC vets as instructors, I'll be enlisting this fall as an IT. Having a local billet will be nice, instead of having to drive 8 hours to DC. And if I decide I still want to pursue an officer program, I can do so without having to worry about racing against my age.

Sorry if that was more info that you were looking for, or if I've posted this same blurb before!

Hi NavyHusky!

Wow, I am so sorry. You sound like a great candidate. I can relate to you in that I am 36 and will be 37 in SEP and I do not hold a Master's. I do have a BS in CIS and graduated Magna Cum Laude and have about 11 years of IT experience but I am not sure if it will be enough! My packet made it to the board in MAR12 but unfortunately was not considered since I did not get the IDC OIC endorsement (I was never told I needed it). Last month I had my local IDC panel interview and received the AOIC endorsement so I am hoping it will be enough to get accepted. I am working on two IT certs (Net+ & Sec+) before the SEP board and then will be tackling my CCNA before embarking into my Master's in IS. Of course, if enrolling in a Master's program now helps I may do that in AUG, Penn State has some really good programs online.

Do you know if the PA re-write is out? I'd love to see it. I certainly wish you the best of luck! Thanks for you reply!

NavyHusky

Hi NavyHusky!

Wow, I am so sorry. You sound like a great candidate. I can relate to you in that I am 36 and will be 37 in SEP and I do not hold a Master's. I do have a BS in CIS and graduated Magna Cum Laude and have about 11 years of IT experience but I am not sure if it will be enough! My packet made it to the board in MAR12 but unfortunately was not considered since I did not get the IDC OIC endorsement (I was never told I needed it). Last month I had my local IDC panel interview and received the AOIC endorsement so I am hoping it will be enough to get accepted. I am working on two IT certs (Net+ & Sec+) before the SEP board and then will be tackling my CCNA before embarking into my Master's in IS. Of course, if enrolling in a Master's program now helps I may do that in AUG, Penn State has some really good programs online.

Do you know if the PA re-write is out? I'd love to see it. I certainly wish you the best of luck! Thanks for you reply!

The current PA's are listed here: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm, but the new one isn't out yet. I've seen in a number of places the 80/20 split directive that NavyOffRec was talking about though. And you sound like you've got better qualifications then I do. When I was in college in the early 90's, I wasn't planning on needing the GPA to join the Navy in my late 30's... wish I could go back in time and slap myself around some. They really are pushing the MS degrees too, so I would certainly get on that. And make sure you have all your ducks in a row for interviews. You need to ace all of those.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
The current PA's are listed here: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/Program-Authorizations.htm, but the new one isn't out yet. I've seen in a number of places the 80/20 split directive that NavyOffRec was talking about though. And you sound like you've got better qualifications then I do. When I was in college in the early 90's, I wasn't planning on needing the GPA to join the Navy in my late 30's... wish I could go back in time and slap myself around some. They really are pushing the MS degrees too, so I would certainly get on that. And make sure you have all your ducks in a row for interviews. You need to ace all of those.

Thanks for the link, I have seen the PA for the IP community. I understand how you feel about going back in time, I also made mistakes early on my college years. I finally put it together and was able to graduate in May2011. Right now I am leaning towards enrolling at Penn State for the Fall2012 semester for my MS in Info Sciences. Fortunately, all my interviews went very well, I got all 10s each time including two interviews with O8s. Since I have a few years left, I will continue until I am no longer eligible (42). Good luck in your future endeavors.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Raised my hand and took the oath yesterday. What a year it has been.
Navy IP Ensign.........Feels good and worth the effort. For those of you going for the Sep. boards Go for it. If you have any questions or need any advice/help just ask.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Raised my hand and took the oath yesterday. What a year it has been.
Navy IP Ensign.........Feels good and worth the effort. For those of you going for the Sep. boards Go for it. If you have any questions or need any advice/help just ask.
Congratulations my friend...I hope that I can share the same wonderful news after the SEP board. Good luck in your Navy career.