• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Low Level in a Hornet

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do you guys do the same move (roll inverted on a low level to cross a ridge) on NVGs?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are VFA guys doing LL at night? VAQ doesn't and I'd be surprised if VFA does (and it certainly wouldn't be at 200 AGL).

jmcquate

Contributor
I've heard stories of 111s doing low level high speed ingress/egress at night with TFR (can't vouch for the validity). Can't imagine doing it manually.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Believe it or not, the old A-7 guys used to dabble with TFR. This was a patch some used to wear:
a7tfr.jpg

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Are VFA guys doing LL at night? VAQ doesn't and I'd be surprised if VFA does (and it certainly wouldn't be at 200 AGL).

I'd bet that they do. We do it (or at least we used to....don't know anymore).

Our NSLAT program (300') is evidently gone, but we flew low levels at 500' on goggles as part of our basic NSQ. We did ridge line crossings, but it wasn't usually necessary to go inverted at 500'. Overbank sufficed.

One good tip that I did not heed: Do NOT peek under the goggles. Scared the shit out of myself.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Our NSLAT program (300') is evidently gone, but we flew low levels at 500' on goggles as part of our basic NSQ. We did ridge line crossings, but it wasn't usually necessary to go inverted at 500'. Overbank sufficed.

One good tip that I did not heed: Do NOT peek under the goggles. Scared the shit out of myself.
Yeah, but the Marines do some crazy shit with their Prowlers that the Navy forbids. We're limited to 3K AGL on NVGs. Now I'm interested.

Can a VFA guy tell us what your night/NVG LAT training rules entail?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

It's still in the T&R as a 4000 level code with a 300 foot minimum performance standard. The only mention of the word night in the LAT section of the ANTTP is in the section about eyeball physiology.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Believe it or not, the old A-7 guys used to dabble with TFR. This was a patch some used to wear:
a7tfr.jpg

a7tfr.jpg

Yeah ...the REAL old guys did it ...long before a patch came about! Chased FRPs (VA-147 - which introduced the A7 to the combat scenerio) ...northbound up a highway just east of the high Sierra, west of Hawthorne NV ...where the USN had an ammo depot ...200' AGL ...nights black as a coal mine ...TF Radar, TF AFCS ...chase/IP stepped UP in free cruise, of course ...yikes!! :-(

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
So do you still do night systems low levels?

It might depend on your definition of DO. There's a syllabus for NS LAT in the T&R, and there's a syllabus for NS LATI, but whether or not squadrons actually have a need/want to fly them is a bit beyond my n00b understanding of the world.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It might depend on your definition of DO. There's a syllabus for NS LAT in the T&R, and there's a syllabus for NS LATI, but whether or not squadrons actually have a need/want to fly them is a bit beyond my n00b understanding of the world.

I heard that NS LAT was just plain gone. It's not something that anybody is going to do much of anyway. It's good to see as an exposure event, but probably not a very relevant day to day skill.