• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Low Level in a Hornet

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Amen, very true... on the flip side, the lower you fly -the more big birds you encounter. The faster you go, the harder they hit!

We nearly lost a TA-4F in the VA-44 RAG in '69, when on a low nav over the Okeefenokee Swamp in GA, took a mallard drake hit in the rear of the canopy. Coming from the side, it shattered the canopy & the rear-seat IP's visor blinding him. Thinking they had suffered a mid-air collision at 200', the IP, badly hurt, ejected immediately. The RP stayed with the bird & calmly initiated rescue operations, then safely landed back at Cecil.

Eventially rescued, the IP (a RNZAF "hinge" exchange Pilot), recovered after lengthy hospitalization, having lost one eye and severely lacerated the other. Having been slated for command of the first RNZAF A-4 (75 Sqdn), Squadron Leader (O-4) Donaldson never could fly single-seat/engine A/C again; however, he remained on active duty, and retired from the service some 12 years later as a Group Captain (O-6), and CO of RNZAF Base, Blenheim, NZ where I visited with him in '79 after I had retired (a good friend, as I had been Sponsor Officer for Ross & family's arrival in VA-44 at Cecil).:)
View attachment 11338
*Sqdn Ldr "Ross Donaldson, VA-44 Line 1969
Quite a story, I think you can read it by googling Sqdn Ldr W. Ross Donaldson ejection-bird strike 1969.:eek:
BzB

You old timers might be interested to know that all bird strike remains (aka snarge) are sent to the Smithsonian for DNA testing to identify the species and put into a database to help predict migration patterns.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You old timers might be interested to know that all bird strike remains (aka snarge) ...

"Snarge"... hey, great vocab! Thought you were 'wingin' it, but Wiki sez it's so!;)
BzB

magnetfreezer

You old timers might be interested to know that all bird strike remains (aka snarge) are sent to the Smithsonian for DNA testing to identify the species and put into a database to help predict migration patterns.
Yep, and the director of that lab is Dr. Dove (seriously, google it).

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another long and winding thread perilously zig-zagging back and forth its dangerous trajectory... but unfortunately ever downward... and exposing some delightfully inviting targets of opportunity for a MK-82 or two, or maybe a Rockeye from some greedy and steely-eyed aviator.

china-winding-road.jpg