• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Low Level in a Hornet

robav8r

None
Contributor
That was a lot of fun to watch. Interesting (at least to me) how much time the A/C was inverted or past 90 deg AOB during the route. Great stuff !

jmcquate

Contributor
That was a lot of fun to watch. Interesting (at least to me) how much time the A/C was inverted or past 90 deg AOB during the route. Great stuff !
W0ndering about that too, I'm guessing he was avoiding negative Gs.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah it is uncomfortable pushing over in general, but especially in the Hornet with the LEX's, you can't really see the terrain underneath you.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Yeah it is uncomfortable pushing over in general, but especially in the Hornet with the LEX's, you can't really see the terrain underneath you.

I don't think any tacair platform prefers the pushover. Why would anybody want to do it the hard way?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think any tacair platform prefers the pushover. Why would anybody want to do it the hard way?
I've flown with some old school A-6 guys who are all about the pushover because it's more tactical than a wing flash. Maybe so, but if some gomer is close enough to shoot at you with his AK or RPG or SA-7, he can probably hear or see you coming already. Let the AW tactical cluster fuck begin (sorry). :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I've flown with some old school A-6 guys who are all about the pushover because it's more tactical than a wing flash. Maybe so, but if some gomer is close enough to shoot at you with his AK or RPG or SA-7, he can probably hear or see you coming already. Let the AW tactical cluster fuck begin (sorry). :D

I guess. I'd imagine that unless you REALLY stuffed the nose, you'd balloon so high that it would betray your presence more than any wing flash would.

Negative G's bad.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Totally agree with avoiding the '0' or neg-G ridge crossings. By rolling inverted over the top...you never lost sight of terrain beneath you. Did hundreds of hours low lvl nav (sandblowers) out west, back in the SIOP days. Many of the routes included the Sierras, Rockies, Pac Coast ranges, deserts of Nevada & Mojave, and agricultural valleys of Central & No. California. Included over-ocean lo nav off the Pacific coastal waters.

Low level nav & special weapons planning/loading/delivery were 'job 1' in work-up training for VA/VAH Squadrons prior to Rolling Thunder kickoff in 1965.:eek:

Sandblowers were referred to as "legal flathatting". Most enjoyable flying possible IMHO!:)
BzB

"The Brick"

The Brick
pilot
Still doesn't impress me.......you guys need to TERF in a helo, that's B.A...."negative g" vs. pushover just doesn't do it for me....;)