• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Low Level in a Hornet

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RADALT: Deedle,Deedle.
Pilot: "Resetting, fifty (50) feet."
Pilot: "Pulling." (climbing)
Pilot: "Pulling." (climbing)

Good thing that the Kuwaiti/Iraqi desert is fairly flat. 50' at night, 420 knots.

Gulp, not for me... thank you!:eek:
BzB

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
The VFA community has pilots who are NVG Low altitude qualified however it's not a very common qual. The LFI (Lo alt. flight instructor) qual is issued to certain FRS IPs every year. Nothing drastically different in the training rules for night low altitude stuff.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you (Synix) ever find yourself inverted on goggles, I'd venture to guess that vertigo is not going to be your #1 concern. ;)

Someone once told me my two top priorities are to keep the spinny thingy upright and at the proper RPM.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know if it's still done, but night ordnance delivery (bombs/rockets/strafe) under oscillating paraflares resulted in the most vertigo-inducing flight I ever experienced in training or combat. I believe it is responsible for many of our still unaccounted for MIAs, who simply disappeared at night over NVN.:(
BzB
Me too! Oscillating para-flares were designed by the devil! Hellacious vertigo!!!!!!

While we hugged the weeds in the day, we fortunately never had to at night.
All I new about night low-levels was that a lot of aircraft launched on those risky missions - Navy/Marine/AF - and not nearly enough ever recovered.

phrogpilot73

Someone once told me my two top priorities are to keep the spinny thingy upright and at the proper RPM.
My owning in primary (at my winging) told me "Keep the spinning side up, and the leaking side down. The rest is gravy."

Seems to have worked for him, he's retired and is now an EMS pilot.

phrogpilot73

Lemme guess, Phrog Guy? :p
Good guess... Started as a USMC Phrog guy, finished as a Coastie HH-65 pilot. I was his last owning, first one was a USMC guy that went Phrogs, last one was a USMC guy that went Phrogs. He and I still keep in touch, he's a great dude.

phrogpilot73

For an aircraft that is obsolete and pilots that are completely worthless, "The Course" sure seems to continue to rely on Phrogs and their drivers.
The last Phrog WTI class has already happened. I wouldn't be surprised if there were requests for Tac Support of us though. After all, we usually have pretty good mx numbers... :D