• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current A-Pool/API students? Pathetic...or The Great Mustin Beach O'Club Thread

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
So what about a SNA who has been in flight school for 1.5 years ribbing a winged P-3 NFO puke who got their wings after four months... or is it four weeks now?

Or a jet pipeline NFO ribbing the same winged P-3 NFO? Or lets say there is a LT who never got their warfare device, can I make fun of them as soon as I am winged? Then again, what about somebody who has a warfare device yet has not been deployed making fun of somebody with no device who has been deployed? It's just so confusing. Perhaps we should put up a sticky of forum rules on who can and cannot talk smack, it would be much easier.

This is why you can't talk until you've been in your fleet squadron at least 3 months.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, I've never seen anyone in the submarine community wearing brown shoes, even though the regs state that it is allowed.

Thoughts about non-aviators wearing brown shoes?

My roomate's dad (currently a sub O-6) wore them for a couple days as a sub CO knowing that they looked better than black with khaki's, but took so much crap that he went back to black.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
And for you OCS candidates- make sure you show up on day one in Newport wearing Brown shoes! The pain will only last a few months.

I know of a particular candidate (now an ENS) who had brown shoes on top of his wall locker during candio phase. I'm now in candio phase and am very tempted...probably shouldn't though because our CDI hates us as it is.

How soon is too soon? It's probably been asked a thousand times before. I'll be checking in around the 26th. I imagine I should at least wait until API?

MasterBates

JT- Wear brown shoes the first time you wear Khakis after commissioning.

There is no other acceptable color for a 13XX or any other aviation related designator.

And if you wear black shoes with AWG, I won't know whether to be pissed about defaming AWG with black shoes, or happy that someone is wearing them.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
JT- Wear brown shoes the first time you wear Khakis after commissioning.

There is no other acceptable color for a 13XX or any other aviation related designator.

And if you wear black shoes with AWG, I won't know whether to be pissed about defaming AWG with black shoes, or happy that someone is wearing them.

Thank you sir. It seems to be a point of agreement as I've already had some PMs telling me to do the same. The AWGs - I WILL have them, I just think they look goofy without wings. I'll make a stop at the Newport NEX when I roll out of the pit of hell.

red_ryder

None
I wore black shoes for awhile before API, but changed over once I realized it was encouraged. We do need more experienced officers setting us straight.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

Speaking of: any word on these? I've got it all but the jacket and I was sort of waiting for it to be saved before I take that plunge. . .

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I agree that black shoes are lame for us STUDS, but I guess I can kind of understand where some of those dudes are coming from. In A-pool/API you are pretty much still a 100% wannabe who has yet to prove anything, not to mention all the NPQ/DOR/attrites at that level of the program.

Yeah, well, don't have any understanding for them, it's that line of thinking that perpetuates the wearing of black shoes. Tell them they are pussies and they need to sack up and wear their brown shoes.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
One thing I found interesting, and maybe PSW can back this up, but I went on a friend of mine's destroyer a few months ago. It was after work and I had my bag on, and all the SWO's referred to me as a "shoe". I was like "wtf?" until they said it was the brown shoes. Never occurred to me that they may refer to us as shoes too, PSW you seen this anywhere else?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, I was going to stay out fo this thread but..........

I don't get all the hate about wearing black shoes as a SNA/SNFO. Yeah, I know, you are authorized but these are studs just starting out. It's like clubbing baby seals, what is the point? They will wear brown shoes when they want, as long as they don't show up to their fleet squadron in black ones they are good.

I wanted to fly for as long as I could remember but really had very little first hand exposure to Naval Aviation before I got to Pensacola. My aviation instructor at school was getting out the month I was graduating and I really went down there 'blind'. I was vaguely aware of brown shoes but decided not to wear them because I wasn't winged yet. Did it matter much? No, nto at all, but that is what I did. I hardly wore khakis after API and no one said a word about my black shoes, to me or my friends.

So, let them wear black shoes if they want. They got better things to worry about, like getting the perfect tan and making it to the club in time for happy hour. Until then, cut them a little slack. You weren't any better when you were in their shoes, so to speak. If you think you were, yes, you are now 'that guy'.

MasterBates

I wore black shoes with khakis ONCE after OCS. That was only because I had to be in Khakis for something or other, and the brown shoes I special ordered were not in yet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wore black shoes with khakis ONCE after OCS. That was only because I had to be in Khakis for something or other, and the brown shoes I special ordered were not in yet.

*Shrug* Like I said, I did all the way through API and beyond. Big, Friggin, Deal.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
*Shrug* Like I said, I did all the way through API and beyond. Big, Friggin, Deal.

Didn't wear mine till I got winged, what's the big deal? I'm superstitious, so that was my reasoning. I had no problems with the studs that wanted to sport the brown shoes and leather jacket, but I wasn't comfortable with it. Focus on more important things....like finishing flight school.

That said, I've spotted a few buddies that have worn the SWO black jacket and black shoes at the FRS. I have no explanation for this:confused: