• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

31July2023 SNA/SNFO Board

Tracker95

I’m also a civilian, so probably not much help. All of the guides I’ve seen online have a couple of things in common: fox River socks and a nice white towel. I’ve also seen a couple of guides advising people to bring $300 in cash, but I’m not sure what that’s needed for.

Congratulations to everyone receiving a Pro-Rec Y! So happy for you all! Long time quiet applicant here (since 2020). For me, it is a gut wrenching feeling looking at the results from this board. My package was kicked back from this board because my recruiter/processor failed to check my package throughly and missed that my medical that had expired a couple days before the board convened. No one bothered to tell me until I asked my recruiter for confirmation that my name was at the board. So basically, I was SOL from what I was told. Also he/she forgot to submit my letters of recommendation along with everything else.

These types of errors and more have been an ongoing issue with every recruiter I’ve had, causing delays in applying in a 3 year tenure. It is almost unimaginable of what’s transpired to this point but I never gave up because I want this opportunity so badly. I know people make mistakes but when it has happened to me several times, it is very frustrating when I worked hard to be a competitive applicant. Don’t get me wrong, I have had to jump through some hoops on my own end but I stayed resilient throughout the process. I’m not looking sympathy, advice is definitely welcomed, but man it really sucks to be in this position and it feels so discouraging that this keeps happening to me with a decent package.

Again, congrats to everyone! I wish you all the best of luck. On to the next board for me for a hopeful SNA selection, again.

Tracker95

Congratulations to everyone receiving a Pro-Rec Y! So happy for you all! Long time quiet applicant here (since 2020). For me, it is a gut wrenching feeling looking at the results from this board. My package was kicked back from this board because my recruiter/processor failed to check my package throughly and missed that my medical that had expired a couple days before the board convened. No one bothered to tell me until I asked my recruiter for confirmation that my name was at the board. So basically, I was SOL from what I was told. Also he/she forgot to submit my letters of recommendation along with everything else.

These types of errors and more have been an ongoing issue with every recruiter I’ve had, causing delays in applying in a 3 year tenure. It is almost unimaginable of what’s transpired to this point but I never gave up because I want this opportunity so badly. I know people make mistakes but when it has happened to me several times, it is very frustrating when I worked hard to be a competitive applicant. Don’t get me wrong, I have had to jump through some hoops on my own end but I stayed resilient throughout the process. I’m not looking sympathy, advice is definitely welcomed, but man it really sucks to be in this position and it feels so discouraging that this keeps happening to me with a decent package.

Again, congrats to everyone! I wish you all the best of luck. On to the next board for me for a hopeful SNA selection, again.
I went through the same thing, 3 year process. If you would read through the Air Warriors post you will find its more common than it should be. Although its very disheartening stick with it, it will be worth it!

BDavis11

Contributor

Keep at it man. Your time is coming!

Skylanepilot1981

Many people will probably recognize me from AW. I have been applying for SNA since August 2021. I have been turned down 5 times but each time I made sure not to give up on improving my kit. I spent the last 3 years doing whatever I could to get selected. Like you, I have put more than blood, sweat, and tears into this opportunity. You have no idea how many people apply once or twice and give up. Perseverance will pay off tenfold. DO NOT EVER GIVE UP and do whatever in your power to get selected even if that means waiting years.

It is so difficult when things occur that are out of control like you described but trust me everything is an opportunity to learn more and a way to improve yourself each time. Stay positive and keep on sailing (had to insert a pun at some point). If it makes you feel any better, I screwed up my ASTB not only once but twice. My third attempt was 49, 6/7/6 which is good but it is not competitive compared to people who get 50+ 8/8/8 or even with straight 7s . My GPA was 2.7 with a BS in General Business. I have a private pilot's License. I could have given up but I refused and I knew what I wanted and what I was passionate about. Each time I got Pro REC- N, I made notes and made a game plan on what I could do to stand apart. I went back to college and retook classes all that I could from my undergrad degree to improve my GPA, then I went to grad school and completed an MS in Aeronautics while working. In the midst of all that, I continued to network with senior grade officers for mentorship and LORS. While going to grad school I also made time to study and complete my instrument rating for my PPL. I did all of this within two years and HELL YA I am proud of myself for my accomplishments and it's something that can never be taken away from me. My thought was "Even if I do not get selected, I still have proven myself to be someone who can be a leader and an asset no matter where I go".

I really thought this last board was going to be my last board to apply to because I was literally running out of things to add to my kit but look what happened. PRO REC-Y for SNA. I was so happy when I heard the news that I cried. I cried because yes I was happy because I got professionally recommended for my dream job, and I saw that my hard work had paid off finally but mainly I cried because I do not have to worry about applying to another SNA/NFO board and the extreme stress that comes with it (which we all know about).

Surround yourself with positive people and do not forget about your family because the Lord knows I couldn't have done it without them. Think about the Navy's core values. Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Some people may think that those are just three words that are just an annoying motto but they really do mean something if you are applying them in your life. The next time you are feeling down, think about what those words mean to you and how you have applied them to your own life to achieve your goals. Remain motivated and inspired and great things will happen!

Many people will probably recognize me from AW. I have been applying for SNA since August 2021. I have been turned down 5 times but each time I made sure not to give up on improving my kit. I spent the last 3 years doing whatever I could to get selected. Like you, I have put more than blood, sweat, and tears into this opportunity. You have no idea how many people apply once or twice and give up. Perseverance will pay off tenfold. DO NOT EVER GIVE UP and do whatever in your power to get selected even if that means waiting years.

It is so difficult when things occur that are out of control like you described but trust me everything is an opportunity to learn more and a way to improve yourself each time. Stay positive and keep on sailing (had to insert a pun at some point). If it makes you feel any better, I screwed up my ASTB not only once but twice. My third attempt was 49, 6/7/6 which is good but it is not competitive compared to people who get 50+ 8/8/8 or even with straight 7s . My GPA was 2.7 with a BS in General Business. I have a private pilot's License. I could have given up but I refused and I knew what I wanted and what I was passionate about. Each time I got Pro REC- N, I made notes and made a game plan on what I could do to stand apart. I went back to college and retook classes all that I could from my undergrad degree to improve my GPA, then I went to grad school and completed an MS in Aeronautics while working. In the midst of all that, I continued to network with senior grade officers for mentorship and LORS. While going to grad school I also made time to study and complete my instrument rating for my PPL. I did all of this within two years and HELL YA I am proud of myself for my accomplishments and it's something that can never be taken away from me. My thought was "Even if I do not get selected, I still have proven myself to be someone who can be a leader and an asset no matter where I go".

I really thought this last board was going to be my last board to apply to because I was literally running out of things to add to my kit but look what happened. PRO REC-Y for SNA. I was so happy when I heard the news that I cried. I cried because yes I was happy because I got professionally recommended for my dream job, and I saw that my hard work had paid off finally but mainly I cried because I do not have to worry about applying to another SNA/NFO board and the extreme stress that comes with it (which we all know about).

Surround yourself with positive people and do not forget about your family because the Lord knows I couldn't have done it without them. Think about the Navy's core values. Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Some people may think that those are just three words that are just an annoying motto but they really do mean something if you are applying them in your life. The next time you are feeling down, think about what those words mean to you and how you have applied them to your own life to achieve your goals. Remain motivated and inspired and great things will happen!
What a great story! Thank you for the words of encouragement! It’s tough but you are completely right. Thank you and congratulations!

eranger24

I met a chief who bombed the ASTB on the first attempt and threw his package in the garbage. You have your stuff together just keep at it and keep improving! Don’t give up!

exNavyOffRec

Anyone know how OCS dates are determined? Myself and I’m sure others are still waiting from the May board.
First is they look at what your "date available" is on your application, if it is ASAP or a date that has passed when the board results come out then you could be put in any opening.

Second it is determined by designator as they will look out to see when the follow on school convening date will be, this is more critical for some designators than others. A person may have ASAP on their application but there may be no spots for that designator for the next 6 OCS classes even though they are only 75% filled.

Third they look at what openings currently exist based on the above. In some circumstances openings become available based on changing info for following on schools. It is then easier to put people in those spots that don't currently have OCS dates than start asking OR's to see who can move up.

There is a working document they use that shows how many of each designator can go into each OCS class, they will plug in names as a place holder while they work on finalizing the class.

gtownjake

Just did the same to break them in a bit beforehand
Let me know how they fit, I see on Amazon they have normal and wide like most boots but didn’t know how narrow the normal ones are. The reviews say to order a size down but I’d like to know before I drop two hundo.