• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

LET73

I'll take what I can get!! ;) I don't think too many communities will get mad if they are not your first choice, most board members know our first choice is to be a Naval Officer:cool:
Apparently the SWOs like to see SWO as applicants' first choice these days. It's a change from eight years ago when I was applying and got picked up for SWO with that as my third choice out of three, and a motivational statement about how awesome I'd be as an intel officer. :)

fedman28

Apparently the SWOs like to see SWO as applicants' first choice these days. It's a change from eight years ago when I was applying and got picked up for SWO with that as my third choice out of three, and a motivational statement about how awesome I'd be as an intel officer. :)

Yea I made sure my statement was not community specific I knew I would be applying to more than one board to increase my odds of getting selected. I don't know why they would be so territorial about their perspective communities just because someone had Intel as their first choice doesn't mean they wouldn't make a great SWO

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
AMDO usually only selects applicants who have 1520 as their first choice as well. You must also be prior enlisted with a good history of aviation maintenance to be competitive for this designator. It's a small community with very few quotas.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
Any CURRENT OR's/OPO's/CNRC personnel out there involved in the OCS Accessions who can provide feedback would be greatly appreciated. About me. Prior OCS Recruiter 2009-2012 so I have a little insider info. I recommended this site many times but never engaged in any forums. I remember what competitive profiles were at the time I was recruiting but I never had an applicant for IDC.
33yo (yes time is running out)
CE1(SCW)
TIS 10yrs 8 mo.
BSBA, 3.77 GPA
OAR 47. About that, in my defense the computer power cord was just below my feet and I was feeling a little bit like Will Smith in MIB when he was taking the test. Midway through I bumped the power strip and the computer went dead... I know I can do better & I know I should shoot for 50 or above but I figured I'd wait for results first board and not waste test opportunities.
Evals CAP'd to 1st E-5 Closeout was a "P" figure that! All EPO's received the MP's/EP's lol, E-6 Transf. EP, NOB (at c-school), then new guy "P". Looking for at least an MP here in a few mo. but the politics are crazy...62 PO1's need to transfer...
Awards: FLOC, two GCM's, MOVSM, five NAM's
Designator's applied: SWO-IP & IP, Intel, SWO-IW& IW.
Appraisals: O-6 SWO, O-5 IPx3, O-3 Intel, O-4 IW; all 9's-10's
LOR's: CO (CDR), O-5, O-4, O-3x3
PFA's: All Outstanding last 5 yrs. except one Excellent (wasnt feeling great)
Not sure it'd make much a difference on the 1420.1b but making Chief isn't gonna happen for at least another 5-6 yrs as a Seabee.
Thanks for your feedback.

exNavyOffRec

Any CURRENT OR's/OPO's/CNRC personnel out there involved in the OCS Accessions who can provide feedback would be greatly appreciated. About me. Prior OCS Recruiter 2009-2012 so I have a little insider info. I recommended this site many times but never engaged in any forums. I remember what competitive profiles were at the time I was recruiting but I never had an applicant for IDC.
33yo (yes time is running out)
CE1(SCW)
TIS 10yrs 8 mo.
BSBA, 3.77 GPA
OAR 47. About that, in my defense the computer power cord was just below my feet and I was feeling a little bit like Will Smith in MIB when he was taking the test. Midway through I bumped the power strip and the computer went dead... I know I can do better & I know I should shoot for 50 or above but I figured I'd wait for results first board and not waste test opportunities.
Evals CAP'd to 1st E-5 Closeout was a "P" figure that! All EPO's received the MP's/EP's lol, E-6 Transf. EP, NOB (at c-school), then new guy "P". Looking for at least an MP here in a few mo. but the politics are crazy...62 PO1's need to transfer...
Awards: FLOC, two GCM's, MOVSM, five NAM's
Designator's applied: SWO-IP & IP, Intel, SWO-IW& IW.
Appraisals: O-6 SWO, O-5 IPx3, O-3 Intel, O-4 IW; all 9's-10's
LOR's: CO (CDR), O-5, O-4, O-3x3
PFA's: All Outstanding last 5 yrs. except one Excellent (wasnt feeling great)
Not sure it'd make much a difference on the 1420.1b but making Chief isn't gonna happen for at least another 5-6 yrs as a Seabee.
Thanks for your feedback.

You never had an IDC applicant? Not much changed from then to now and they basically still look at the same things for IDC, tech degree, high GPA, leadership, etc.... the only thing that really changed was that the PA for Intel now list "preferred degrees" as all tech ones.

Selection rate still very low, quotas are all about the same as they were back then, single digits for SWO options and IP, the others around 30-40.

There have been some IDC pro Y's from Dec 2013 that recently rec'd their FS letters and are going to OCS this month or so.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
You never had an IDC applicant? Not much changed from then to now and they basically still look at the same things for IDC, tech degree, high GPA, leadership, etc.... the only thing that really changed was that the PA for Intel now list "preferred degrees" as all tech ones.

Selection rate still very low, quotas are all about the same as they were back then, single digits for SWO options and IP, the others around 30-40.

There have been some IDC pro Y's from Dec 2013 that recently rec'd their FS letters and are going to OCS this month or so.

Let me clarify, plenty of IDC applications but not one selection. Straight SWO and IDC selects were as fabled as unicorns. I focused on Pilot/NFO, NUKE, CEC Reserve and Chaplain. Wrote a few JAGS but those are almost given to you. Thanks for the update. Do you think that OAR score will fly? I'm not holding my breath but thought it was worth the try given the application deadline.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Let me clarify, plenty of IDC applications but not one selection. Straight SWO and IDC selects were as fabled as unicorns. I focused on Pilot/NFO, NUKE, CEC Reserve and Chaplain. Wrote a few JAGS but those are almost given to you. Thanks for the update. Do you think that OAR score will fly? I'm not holding my breath but thought it was worth the try given the application deadline.

I wouldn't worry about OAR, one of my guys had a 45? it was mid 40's either way.

No SWO? I wrote a bunch, then of course there was the drought for a bit when they halted selections.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
I wouldn't worry about OAR, one of my guys had a 45? it was mid 40's either way.

No SWO? I wrote a bunch, then of course there was the drought for a bit when they halted selections.

Thank you for your assurance. I hope Recruiting is as enjoyable and fulfilling for you as it was for me. I love being expeditionary but again the Enlisted Seabee advancement is not that great right now. If OCS does not work out I will be putting in a CRF pack for sure.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for your assurance. I hope Recruiting is as enjoyable and fulfilling for you as it was for me. I love being expeditionary but again the Enlisted Seabee advancement is not that great right now. If OCS does not work out I will be putting in a CRF pack for sure.

I was in recruiting about the same time as you, but since I am in the same area I recruited in I keep up with friends (mil and civ) that are still there, they keep telling me "you won't believe what is going on now", I keep giving them referrals since people keep calling me from my info being out there, I had a call a few months ago from a Doctor who's son wanted to apply to be a Doc in the USN, I also get calls from guys I put in.

ratherbesurfing

Career Recruiter
@LadyT, I wish I could apply for other programs. While I am genuinely interested in Intel, it is also one of the few programs for which I qualify based on age. However, I want to be a naval officer more than anything else. I just got lucky that the program I want is one of the few programs for which I qualify. Although, if I'm not selected for Intel then I have no other programs to fall back on.
Not true. Go back to school. Chaplain, JAG, CEC, EDO, METOC, and a whole slew of MSC programs have higher age limits and better chances for selection.