• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

WIDGET

to the flight docs out there, will basal cell carcinoma get one kicked out of flight school? the navy? and if not, would he be downed from flight for an extended period of time?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminds me of this....

"Buck Melanoma, Moley Russel's Wart."

Crappy video ...:eek:

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
We had a guy (and I bet all the guys in my OCS and/or TBS class know who he is) who had a conversation like this:

DI "Candidate *****, why did you join the Marine Corps!!!!!???!??!?!?!"
Candidate ***** "Because the Navy didn't have any pilot slots left."

He was then sent to a board. Every week. For the rest of OCS. Made it through, though. Our company CO was a '46 driver, so I think he got a little kick out of the whole ordeal.

HAHA.

First off, I am really glad that I found this thread. I've been a bit torn through choosing Marines or Navy. My Dad and his Dad were both Navy, so I know pretty well what the Navy has to offer, but I've done little research into the marines other than hearing about their "guaranteed slots" and more lenient acceptances of GPA's.

What I didn't know what that even Marine Pilots can serve as ground pounders if needed. And I think that KICKS ASS. I'm 22, married, and have a son. My whole life I've wanted to fly. But recently I've had a really strong desire to go infantry (sniper if I could manage it there later on). The wife isn't thrilled about the military, but she is supportive and knows that's it's all I've ever wanted to do. She is fine with me being a pilot, but really not OK with me doing infantry.

I assume that if I went pilot and ended up doing a tour as a ground pounder, that sniper wouldn't be an option, but that's fine. I would really enjoy doing either and although my wife wouldn't like it, she would accept it if I had to do an infantry tour.

I'm a mathematics major with 1 year left of college so I've got some time to decide. It's a really hard choice. Not because I don't know what I want to do, but because I'll be happy in any way I serve (sans cook or something like that).

btlawson22

So does anyone know what the actual minimums are on the ASTB for Marine Aviation?

Also, I was wondering why a lot of people are going for flying heavies these days? does it have to do with not going to sea or lack of jets?

If you don't fly something that can land on a carrier, are the rest going to iraq lately?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...but as soon as you get to OCS and then on to TBS you will understand what I'm talking about.

Of note (OCS).. This very interesting program was on PBS last night about the Corps and had a segment on Marine Corps OCS:

THE MARINES examines the unique "Warrior Culture" of the smallest but fiercest branch of the U.S. armed services. With significant access to Marine Corps training facilities in Parris Island, South Carolina; Quantico, Virginia; and Twentynine Palms, California, THE MARINES reveals what it takes and what it means to be a Marine - from the first moments of a recruit's arrival at boot camp.

THE MARINES offers extensive coverage of the often grueling Marine Corps training, including the Martial Arts Program, confidence course and intense rifle range instruction. The program also demonstrates how the Marines evaluate and shape their future leaders with the rigorous Officer Candidate Leadership reaction course and infamous "Quigley" exercise.
More than 30 current and former Marines of all ranks, authors and military correspondents were interviewed to tell the story of the rich history, traditions and continuing importance of the Marine Corps and the warrior ethos it instills.

"How the Warrior Culture is engrained and how it sets the Marines apart from other armed services branches are critical aspects of Marine development and understanding," said producer/writer/director John Grant. "This program offers an in-depth and unvarnished look at the rigorous physical and psychological training employed to create this tenaciously loyal, highly skilled breed of combatant ready to defend country and comrade at any cost."

Other segments of THE MARINES focus on the Wounded Warrior Barracks in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina; the new Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Virginia; and women in the Marines. The program also travels to the country's largest Marine base in California, where Marines are seen training in mock Iraqi villages just weeks before deployment overseas

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
...Also, I was wondering why a lot of people are going for flying heavies these days? does it have to do with not going to sea or lack of jets?...

I don't know where you are getting your stats but the platform selection spread out of primary for the last 10 months or so has been pretty even/average from week to week. It is normal that a higher percentage go the helo route than the jet route. The C-130 and MV-22 pipes are a little more sparse, however, I'm hearing the Osprey pipe is going to widen a little fairly soon. Phrogdriver is your man on that one.

btlawson22

I'm Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I got the impression a lot were flying big planes as an actual stat. I just have a few people around that have gotten c-130 and are happy about it like they went for it. These people were originally going to be jet pilots. Just thought I fine out what you all thought.

Still looking for someone with the actual needed ASTB score for the Marines. I can't get a call back from the OSO in my area.

grant_davis

I'm Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I got the impression a lot were flying big planes as an actual stat. I just have a few people around that have gotten c-130 and are happy about it like they went for it. These people were originally going to be jet pilots. Just thought I fine out what you all thought.

Still looking for someone with the actual needed ASTB score for the Marines. I can't get a call back from the OSO in my area.

My OR told me as long as I didn't have anything below a 5 and I scored a 6 on at least one section I was good. He also said that unlike the Navy the scores for the Marines are pass fail. Can anyone confirm this?

Yankee Uniform Tango
Last I heard it was 4/6/6. The OAR (the 4th score) isn't taken into consideration.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I don't have the exact numbers. There are threads here that have them however. I do believe that the Marine Corps actually has a HIGHER score to QUALIFY for a contract, but after scoring no less than that, anything higher does not necessarily make you more competitive.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Lower ASBT scores for marine eh?

Realize the 35 NSS completer (donno bout new grading system) to fly rule (usmc), never ever saw anyone get a waiver below 35 (even dudes we fought for), much better chance in Navy if you have a _RUF_ time in advanced...
We kicked out many a 60+nss primary flight training completers for "failing to thrive" at 250-400 knots. Echo kool-aid comments above, you should have woke up this morning from a fresh "wanna be a marine dream" to make the recockulous level of motivation and work worth it... Semper Fi my brothers.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
HAHA.

First off, I am really glad that I found this thread. I've been a bit torn through choosing Marines or Navy. My Dad and his Dad were both Navy, so I know pretty well what the Navy has to offer, but I've done little research into the marines other than hearing about their "guaranteed slots" and more lenient acceptances of GPA's.

What I didn't know what that even Marine Pilots can serve as ground pounders if needed. And I think that KICKS ASS. I'm 22, married, and have a son. My whole life I've wanted to fly. But recently I've had a really strong desire to go infantry (sniper if I could manage it there later on). The wife isn't thrilled about the military, but she is supportive and knows that's it's all I've ever wanted to do. She is fine with me being a pilot, but really not OK with me doing infantry.

I assume that if I went pilot and ended up doing a tour as a ground pounder, that sniper wouldn't be an option, but that's fine. I would really enjoy doing either and although my wife wouldn't like it, she would accept it if I had to do an infantry tour.

I'm a mathematics major with 1 year left of college so I've got some time to decide. It's a really hard choice. Not because I don't know what I want to do, but because I'll be happy in any way I serve (sans cook or something like that).

I hate to break it to you killer, but I've not heard of many snipers who were Officers, let alone winged aviators.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor

Agree with Ryan on the sniper myth - not gonna happen. The only way you could get remotely close to that is, fail out or DOR from flight school, go Ground Intel and at that point you would go through an abbreviated scout sniper syllabus as a part of your Ground Intel training; the only way from an aviation standpoint.

Now, as far as ground pounding is concerned, once you spend some time as a fleet aviator and the time comes to do your "shore tour," you will have the option to be a FAC or air officer with an infantry unit. Pretty sweet gig if you're into the grunt thing.

Bottom line, the way I see it, if your asking the questions, you would probably eat it up like most Marines. Moreover, if you get to OCS and you think that it is not for you, then there is no shame in DOR, really; in the same breath though, OCS is not the fleet so just get through it, there is a light at the end.