• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woman + Subs

SkywardET

Contrarian
Truthfully, I could careless if women are on subs. If they're crazy enough to want to float round in a metal tube and enjoy not seeing the light for months on end, then they can rock on with their bad selves.

What I find interesting about the whole debate is the logic behind these arguments. Some women behave like total shit bags, and therefore no woman can serve on subs. What if you applied that same train of thought and extrapolated it out a bit. You wouldn't ban every Hispanic from working in jobs that deal with money because a few assholes steal, would you? Some people perceive that more men are pedophiles, would you ban every man from a career that deals with children under the age of 18? Then why are we talking about keeping perfectly qualified people, who happen to be women, from serving in subs because some people who are huge douchenozzles and don't behave responsibily, and happen to be women?
That was not at all the logic behind the contention I was making, nor was it the logic behind the contentions of many others. You have created a strawman fallacy.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
What I find interesting about the whole debate is the logic behind these arguments. Some women behave like total shit bags, and therefore no woman can serve on subs. What if you applied that same train of thought and extrapolated it out a bit. You wouldn't ban every Hispanic from working in jobs that deal with money because a few assholes steal, would you? Some people perceive that more men are pedophiles, would you ban every man from a career that deals with children under the age of 18? Then why are we talking about keeping perfectly qualified people, who happen to be women, from serving in subs because some people who are huge douchenozzles and don't behave responsibily, and happen to be women?

Thank you.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
Ah, the experiences that they'll be able to take part in.

Stores loads, tdu weight loads (a 10" x 10" 70-lb box of TDU weights), tdu can offloads after being on station for a month - offloading cans of trash for about a 1/2 hour when the boat pulls in to port.

Working in the trash compactor room smashing trash - it leaves you caked in old, nasty food.

Tank closeouts on the sanitary waste tanks after a TLI replacement - which usually still have the residue on the walls because the cleaning crews sent in to clean out the san tanks didn't do a 100% satisfactory job and the TLI needs to be replaced. Or, better yet, being sent into the san tank to replace the TLI.

Speaking of sans, there have been repeated incidents where a crew member ignored signs that the san tanks were pressurized and opened up the ball valve for the stall - usually while they were standing over it. An experience like that requires swabbing under the eyelids, tetanus shots, and I imagine those sailors in particular don't have much of an appetite after having a stream of sans come shooting up from the toilet at high velocity and pressure.

The hot racking. The uniforms and clothing that all reek of amine after being underway for more than a week. Living on either UHT ultra-radiated milk or powdered milk. Then there's the lack of anything fresh after about a week underway.

Not having shore communications beyond email every other day. Port and starboard watch rotations. High op tempo.

And then there's the email blackouts that happen.

I know there are women that can handle it. And to those women that can handle the job, I welcome them to take part of the submarine force. Based on what I have seen, the sub community does an excellent job of figuring out who can and who can't hack it - I speak from about 6 1/2 years of sub experience myself.

As someone else stated before, we have professionals handling the job that are paid way more to make the calls, so I'm not going to say yea or nay. I just hope that the women coming into the sub force have a good, solid idea what lifestyle they're being introduced to - I have my doubts as to whether or not the female riders on the subs were fully exposed to the life that they'd lead as crew members.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Wow, I went away for a few days and this blew up. Having served quite a bit of time on both subs and aircraft carriers, I can tell you that it simply won't work for logistical reasons. Women are great in the military, don't get me wrong, but mixing men and women results in shenanigans that can result in pregnancy.
Hey ladies, I know that you would never do this, but I can tell you from experiencing it all around me, it happens. There were multiple females sent home on my last cruise. They sell pregnancy tests in the ship's store for crying out loud.
Now that's all good on an aircraft carrier. She is a COD ride away from the beach. A boomer has to go off station and give up the alert, surfacing and undermining their entire mission to medivac. A fast attack that is under the ice or tracking another sub, forget it, it is out of the question. And no, they can't stay on there. Even if you don't consider the exposure issues, any female found pregnant on a carrier is off the boat almost immediately. There is a reason for that.
I say again. It should never happen.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They sell pregnancy tests in the ship's store for crying out loud..

Same thoughts occur to me as when I see condoms for sale in the PX at a forward operating base. It's usually an Army thing. We were in Kandahar in 2001/2002, but as soon as the Army rolled in and set up their mini PX, we've got candy bars and rubbers available. This was like 2 months after the invasion for crying out loud. I saw the same thing in a training camp in Kuwait just recently. I mean, I can't really begrudge someone for being safe, but they still aren't supposed to be doing it out there in the first place. WTF?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of sans, there have been repeated incidents where a crew member ignored signs that the san tanks were pressurized and opened up the ball valve for the stall - usually while they were standing over it. An experience like that requires swabbing under the eyelids, tetanus shots, and I imagine those sailors in particular don't have much of an appetite after having a stream of sans come shooting up from the toilet at high velocity and pressure.

...and Hep A, Hep B, and some cautionary penicillin (sp?) just in case. When I was in Prototype in Charleston, someone did this exact thing and then...alas...ran away. Consequently the entire contents of the san tank emptied itself into ERUL Fwd...(I think that was it anyway...been a loooooong time...where the commutator inverters were...MS-1/2...you know if you know...) It was a tremendous intro to the sub community when they put me in a full body Tyvek suit, mask and handed me a mop, bucket and said "Start cleaning". It was 4 inches deep. I cleaned half digested crap for 4 hours, and lost 8 pounds of water.

Nice post ozryan...Lots of good memories.​

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Same thoughts occur to me as when I see condoms for sale in the PX at a forward operating base. It's usually an Army thing. We were in Kandahar in 2001/2002, but as soon as the Army rolled in and set up their mini PX, we've got candy bars and rubbers available. This was like 2 months after the invasion for crying out loud. I saw the same thing in a training camp in Kuwait just recently. I mean, I can't really begrudge someone for being safe, but they still aren't supposed to be doing it out there in the first place. WTF?

I'll say two things: "service culture" and "don't try to understand it." I've said one more thing a bunch of times and I'll keep saying it- I think the different armed services are like extended family, you don't have to like each other but you do have to love each other (preferably from a distance sometimes). I still haven't figured out which branches are the "country cousins" and "city cousins."

FWIW I'm with you on the rubbers and pregnancy kits stocked five deep/wide/high on the shelves at the FOB exchange... pull your head out of your ass, keep your friggin pants on, and go to the gym or something...

Gardito85

FY-10 STA-21 Applicant
So this one time, when I was a young pup, I ate breakfast, smoked a cig, and relieved ERLL. Some time later I started getting the bubble guts. I called MAN and said "Dude get Fuller back here I'm gonna shit my pants." After a while of him not showing up I grabbed a bucket, some kimwipes, and a trashbag and went up to the TGLO bay mezz. to handle business. After handling said business I bagged up my poop and went to put my coveralls back on. As I slung my right arm through the sleeve I heard a "plop" and looked down at my hand to see a turd and a shit stain on my hand.

To my dismay I guess my poopie suit had hooked on to my bucket and since I took one of those splatter shits (you know what I'm talking about) it got all over the inside shoulder part of my poopie suit. I figured "fuck it right theres a undershirt there, who cares," and stood the next 5.5 hours of my watch with a shitty poopie on. After watch I went to ML head to take my after watch dump. While there I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror to find out that I had about a 4" by 9" shit smear all over my back.

Once I stopped laughing I took my poopie off, showered and the proceeded to hang my shitty poopie in 9 man (the berthing were Junior Officers sleep), and left it there for about a week or 2. During this time I'd hear J.O.s saying "Man, Lyle smells like shit he needs to shower or wash his sheets or something." Hahaha.

Anyway, sometime later, my bag of poop (which I had put in a locker and forgotten about, just like everyone else) was discovered and thrown in the trash. This trash was then later compacted (by 3000 psi hydraulic fluid) and exploded all over him and the TDU space. Little did I know that fateful morning in TGLO bay that my turd would bring so much missery to so many.

The point I'm trying to make with this story is: If you're a woman and just read this story and thought to yourself "Man, that's hilarious, I could do that." ; You'll get your fish in no time. However, if this kicked in your gag reflex a little, there's a carrier somewhere that I'm sure will be happy to have you...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah...

The point I'm trying to make with this story is: If you're a woman and just read this story and thought to yourself "Man, that's hilarious, I could do that."

Lyle, I really want to thank you for sharing that with us! Brightened up an otherwise boring morning!:icon_carn
BTW "Boats" to "Wings" has occurred more than most may think!
BzB ex-ET2 (SS)

Alecta

So this one time, when I was a young pup, I ate breakfast, smoked a cig, and relieved ERLL. Some time later I started getting the bubble guts. I called MAN and said "Dude get Fuller back here I'm gonna shit my pants." After a while of him not showing up I grabbed a bucket, some kimwipes, and a trashbag and went up to the TGLO bay mezz. to handle business. After handling said business I bagged up my poop and went to put my coveralls back on. As I slung my right arm through the sleeve I heard a "plop" and looked down at my hand to see a turd and a shit stain on my hand.

To my dismay I guess my poopie suit had hooked on to my bucket and since I took one of those splatter shits (you know what I'm talking about) it got all over the inside shoulder part of my poopie suit. I figured "fuck it right theres a undershirt there, who cares," and stood the next 5.5 hours of my watch with a shitty poopie on. After watch I went to ML head to take my after watch dump. While there I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror to find out that I had about a 4" by 9" shit smear all over my back.

Once I stopped laughing I took my poopie off, showered and the proceeded to hang my shitty poopie in 9 man (the berthing were Junior Officers sleep), and left it there for about a week or 2. During this time I'd hear J.O.s saying "Man, Lyle smells like shit he needs to shower or wash his sheets or something." Hahaha.

Anyway, sometime later, my bag of poop (which I had put in a locker and forgotten about, just like everyone else) was discovered and thrown in the trash. This trash was then later compacted (by 3000 psi hydraulic fluid) and exploded all over him and the TDU space. Little did I know that fateful morning in TGLO bay that my turd would bring so much missery to so many.

The point I'm trying to make with this story is: If you're a woman and just read this story and thought to yourself "Man, that's hilarious, I could do that." ; You'll get your fish in no time. However, if this kicked in your gag reflex a little, there's a carrier somewhere that I'm sure will be happy to have you...

I owe you a beer at Doc's Steakhouse for that story. Totally made my WEEK.

vicariousrider

War Eagle!

...and Hep A, Hep B, and some cautionary penicillin (sp?) just in case. When I was in Prototype in Charleston, someone did this exact thing and then...alas...ran away. Consequently the entire contents of the san tank emptied itself into ERUL Fwd...(I think that was it anyway...been a loooooong time...where the commutator inverters were...MS-1/2...you know if you know...) It was a tremendous intro to the sub community when they put me in a full body Tyvek suit, mask and handed me a mop, bucket and said "Start cleaning". It was 4 inches deep. I cleaned half digested crap for 4 hours, and lost 8 pounds of water.

Nice post ozryan...Lots of good memories.​

Sir, that's a really crappy job to have to do :eek: Glad I could bring back the memories :D

Wow, that sounds like it was a great big load of crap! Pardon the crappy pun.

I've heard stories of that kind of thing happening but never actually witnessed it. Exploding poo.... :icon_smil Reminds me of the one day a turd was discovered in an oil sample bottle that had been hidden for over a year. Needless to say, when they cracked the cap on that bottle, there came the sound of pressure venting.