• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woman + Subs

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Geez, ignore a thread for a few days...

Mr Midshipman Fester heard all these arguments in the early '90's when the combat-exclusion law was first repealed. Women will get knocked up, Fan Room Love will be rampant, their tampons will clog the black-water system, ID Docs will have to take GYN courses, we can't walk around naked anymore, etc. Some of these came true, some did not, some problems were solved and some remain to be solved, and some will never be solved.

Here's the thing - it's not going to be politically feasible to keep this ban in place forever. The Sub community is just too big a chunk of the Navy to keep closed off to women (after all, it's just them and SPECWAR now). Sooner or later, the Sub force is going to get this change forced on them, and they'll have to adapt, overcome and deal with the same issues that the rest of the seagoing Navy has been dealing with for over 15 years now.

Here's the real challenge I see: If we learned anything from the aches and pains of bringing women aboard in the '90's, it's that you can't start out with no females in the leadership (just a bunch of ensigns and E-3's) and expect things to go smoothly. When women came aboard the ships, there'd already been women on ships (tenders, auxiliaries, etc) since the '70's. Likewise with aviation - there were women aviators and maintainers, so all that changed was what they could fly and what squadrons they could belong to.

In other words, there was a cadre of female officers and chiefs that could transition into combatant commands. A lot of those integration pains cropped up when junior females didn't have any more senior females for mentoring, counseling, sympathy and/or a kick in the ass as needed.

Obviously, there are no female submariners. So where would we get this female leadership? If I know anything about sub dudes, it's that until you've got your dolphins, you ain't shit, so just cross-decking a bunch of Nuke SWO LT's and assorted female chiefs and PO1's is only going to exacerbate the problem ("Damn girls think they're leadership on the Boat and they don't even have their fucking dolphins!?").

I assume CNO has thought about all this, but I'm curious what the proposed solution will be.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Answer!

FWIW I'm with you on the rubbers and pregnancy kits stocked five deep/wide/high on the shelves at the FOB exchange... pull your head out of your ass, keep your friggin pants on, and go to the gym or something...

Women on Subs....doesn't get better than this.:sonar_125:sonar_125
BzB

Attachments

• 1998214.jpg
    1998214.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 78

Big Biff

Got Em
This thing must be getting serious if it made the cover of this week's Navy Times...
"A handful of female seniors at the Naval Academy or in the Naval Reserve Officers? Training Corps could very well be the first women to be assigned to a U.S. submarine. And if initial plans fall into place, those women ? joined by some seasoned supply and surface nuke lieutenants already in the fleet ? will be included in four crews assigned to two Ohio-class submarines by late 2011"... Navy Times

EDIT: Wow this article goes into depth with schematics for the berthing problem and other stuff... Good Job AW for sorting out all the details...

GroundPounder

One of the first female Prospective Commanding Officers for submarines, Commander Sarah Bentworth, is eager to get started. She spent two tours aboard the USS Virginia in order to prepare for her first sub command.

The above is from the New York Times article by Seymore Conch and James Boswell. Emphasis is mine.

Am I missing something, hasn't it already happened, even to a limited degree?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the first female Prospective Commanding Officers for submarines, Commander Sarah Bentworth, is eager to get started. She spent two tours aboard the USS Virginia in order to prepare for her first sub command.

The above is from the New York Times article by Seymore Conch and James Boswell. Emphasis is mine.

Am I missing something, hasn't it already happened, even to a limited degree?

Yeah, the date of the article.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just noticed that the article seems to point towards an all-female submarine.

aaaaand cue the Weeping for the Future...read the date "OCPO3"

"But this is the 21-st century, women can vote, drive cars, wear pants--why can't they be in charge of a nuclear attack sub?"

"I went to submarines to get a breather from my wife and her mother. Especially her mother. Now I have to spend 60 days underwater with women? You know how long they take in the bathroom."

Truly awesome, sounds like Don Rickles.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
aaaaand cue the Weeping for the Future...read the date "OCPO3"

"But this is the 21-st century, women can vote, drive cars, wear pants--why can't they be in charge of a nuclear attack sub?"

"I went to submarines to get a breather from my wife and her mother. Especially her mother. Now I have to spend 60 days underwater with women? You know how long they take in the bathroom."

Truly awesome, sounds like Don Rickles.

....Damn. I was just thinking what's the big deal about the date then I realized it.

Alecta

So the times when guys grab a newspaper and spend 45 minutes in the head pontificating the finer points of life don't count???

In that article from last year, I thought it was ironic that the higher ups are worried that the sub community will become out of touch with society. Isn't part of the bubblehead lifestyle to be cut off from said society for large amounts of time voluntarily?