• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will Bad Credit Kill My Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiveLT21DaBall

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I'm going to politely advise you to improve your attitude towards the people here who are trying to help you by explaining how the system works. If you don't like the rules, you're free to seek employment elsewhere, or write your congressman, but don't take it out on the rest of us, or you're likely to find yourself ostracized.

Brett

What the ****?? A bit trigger-happy aren't we??

The first line was just to thank you for filling me in on the different levels of security clearance. I now see why it's a higher standard for officers/aviators. And again, (as kosher as humanly possible) thanks for taking the time out to respond to this thread.

And the 2nd line?? Just a guy realizing his fate. Sorry if I ruined anyone's meal.

GiveLT21DaBall

Hopefully to put this to rest, a clearance is a clearance except for what level of classifcation. Rank, service, or affiliation is completely irrelevant. The government will decide what level of clearance you are eligible for, and the custodian of the material will determine your access based on kneed-to-know.

Once you have a clearance, it is reviewed and reinvestigated periodically. For secret, every 10 years, TS/SCI every 5 years. If something comes up (DWI, drugs, etc) on your reinvestigation (or at the time it happens), you can lose your eligibility or have it downgraded.

Financial deliquency is a big problem. It relfects on your trustworthiness and likelihood to blackmail/sale of material for financial need. You can shout at the rain all day about how unfair that is, but it's reality. I'm confident that the statistic bear them out on that.

As a security manager, I had to process several people for clearance issues. Several times it was not me who initiated the investigation. Your command will recieve a Letter of Intent that explains why the individual is going to lose his eligibility and what he/she can do to fight the action. It's a fairly painful process.

It's a new world in security since JPAS came out. It's a computer system that has everybody with a clearance on it. If something happens with you in relation to your clearance, DONCAF (The Man keeping you down) will know about it in very short order. Everybody else will find out the same day via JPAS. In short, if you screw up, you will lose your access very quickly and you are far less likely to "fall through the cracks" than before.

Thanks Harrier Dude for explaining the nuts-and-bolts of the clearance process. It's much appreciated. I may be screwed, but at least I'm all the wiser now.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Thanks Harrier Dude for explaining the nuts-and-bolts of the clearance process. It's much appreciated. I may be screwed, but at least I'm all the wiser now.

You may or may not be "screwed". Very few people are absolutley clear from previous mistakes. Remember, the big thing their looking for (inaddition to displaying reasonable judgement) is trustworthiness. The absolute fastest way to get "screwed" is to lie (even by omission) during the process. Be open and honest about everything in your past. By lying, you may get denied for something that wouldn't have been a problem if you'd just been honest about it.

One possible exception to the "absolute honesty" rule is that the government has a somewhat lower definition on what constitutes "social drinking". Don't lie, but you may not need to go into great detail when describing your favorite memory from your fraternity parties in college. Same applies to the flight surgeon for that matter.

As far as brushes with the law and finances go, just spill your guts. They've heard it all before and will find out about it anyway.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I understand that you didn't qualify for any scholarships because of the GI bill. But I still fail to understand how you thought you could finance school, your lifestyle, and bills off solely your GI bill and not work. Why didn't you work while you were in school and getting the GI bill? This is why many guys aren't being easy on you about this. I'm going the BDCP route myself and I'm busting my ass while I'm in private college and I'm not getting any scholarships either and my tuition is racking up. So you know what I'm doing about it? I have two jobs and I work 7 days a week to offset my owed balances with no GI bill to back me up. I know a girl in college who has 300 dollars a month's worth in perscription costs, works 50 hours a week, and has 18 credit hours. I know another college student in my class who worked 30 hours a week to support her freaking parents and their household and had no less than 15 credit hours a term, but still found time to be Magna Cum Laude and hold club office God bless her soul. What is your excuse pal?

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I understand that you didn't qualify for any scholarships because of the GI bill. But I still fail to understand how you thought you could finance school, your lifestyle, and bills off solely your GI bill and not work. Why didn't you work while you were in school and getting the GI bill? This is why many guys aren't being easy on you about this. I'm going the BDCP route myself and I'm busting my ass while I'm in private college and I'm not getting any scholarships either and my tuition is racking up. So you know what I'm doing about it? I have two jobs and I work 7 days a week to offset my owed balances with no GI bill to back me up. I know a girl in college who has 300 dollars a month's worth in perscription costs, works 50 hours a week, and has 18 credit hours. I know another college student in my class who worked 30 hours a week to support her freaking parents and their household and had no less than 15 credit hours a term, but still found time to be Magna Cum Laude and hold club office God bless her soul. What is your excuse pal?

And just who the fizzle are you? I mean, why so hostile?

GMan1976

Banned
or possibly someone who is:

I understAnd that you didn't qualify for any scholarships because of the GI Bill. But I still fail to understand how you thought you could finance school, your lifestyle, and bills off solely your GI bill and not work. Why didn't you work while you were in school and getting the GI bill? This is why many guys aren't being easy on you about this. I'm going the BDCP route myself and I'm busting my ass while I'm in private college and I'm not getting any scholarships either and my tuition is racking up. So you know what I'm doing about it? I have two jobs and I work 7 days a week to offset my owed balances with no GI bill to back me up. I know a girl in college who has 300 dollars a month's worth in perscription costs, works 50 hours a week, and has 18 credit hours. I know another college student in my class who worked 30 hours a week to support her freaking parents and their household and had no less than 15 credit hours a term, but still found time to be Magna Cum Laude and hold club office God bless her soul. What is your excuse pal?

fly2fight25

Fight to Fly....Fly to Fight !!
Just a thought... Take some financial planning courses. This may look good to the people deciding your fate. Any thoughts HARRIER DUDE? You seem to be the only one with the background and experience to give knowledgable answers to this subject.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just a thought... Take some financial planning courses. This may look good to the people deciding your fate. Any thoughts HARRIER DUDE? You seem to be the only one with the background and experience to give knowledgable answers to this subject.

And you're qualified to make that judgment, how?

Brett

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

It wouldn't hurt (unless the course costs so much that he gets in more debt), but it probably wouldn't help much either. The best thing he can do is to get out of debt without anything being written off as bad credit. He's already late, which doesn't help, but minimizing the damage to his credit score would be the most prudent COA.

How does he do that? I have no idea. Make more, spend less.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I mean if I came off a little like a jerk, not having any days off for over a month will do that to you. I'm not speaking in arrogance, but in fustration. Not for my own effort, but for others who I literally watch work themselves to tears to get through college and didn't have nearly a good a shot as the topic creator started with. And like HAL pilot said in the last thread, I'm not convinced he is going into BDCP for all the right reasons.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
I liked the first rendition of this post

I got red flagged so I took it upon myself to change it...twice. Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was attacking you personally. I thought that your post came accross as judgmental and hostile. I think I just got sick of seeing posts that look to attack before anything else.

Beaux

Status
Not open for further replies.