• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will Bad Credit Kill My Dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Oh man, that gets rep points right there...
Why does that get rep points? Tiz84 is basically saying that Shawam created his own situation by being lazy versus working hard. Calling Tiz84 a tool for working his butt off while finishing college and not having bill collectors after him is BS.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Why does that get rep points? Tiz84 is basically saying that Shawam created his own situation by being lazy versus working hard. Calling Tiz84 a tool for working his butt off while finishing college and not having bill collectors after him is BS.

I admire Tiz84 for his tenacity and dedication, so it was not rep points for calling him a tool. IT was rep points because everybody gets so serious on these threads sometimes. I thought the timing was perfect to interject some humor. Basically it cought me off guard...

Granted, it was a cheap shot, but he hit the target. You did't think that was good?

GMan1976

Banned
IT WAS A JOKE HAL!!!! Geez..... ;)

...thanks to the 4 people with senses of humor who sent rep, and no thanks to the 1 neg rep (you know who you are....grrrr... :icon_rage haha) :icon_tong

BackOrdered

Contributor
All I have to say about the "joke" is I thought it was ancient board humor at best, but I'm willing to fight to the death for his right to post it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, he got away with it so far...
Ever speed on the highway and get away with it? No need to answer since it's a rhetorical question. The point is, your logic doesn't make sense and you still didn't answer the question posed to you.

I'll repeat, what makes you think he has the right to post what he did? I'm not saying he does or doesn't. I'm just curious what your line of thinking is.

GMan1976

Banned
I admire Tiz84 for his tenacity and dedication

As do I. As I said, my post was a joke (mainly derived from the comment directly before it).

As for working your ass off to pay bills and whatnot and putting yourself though school. The Navy only gave me $8k per academic year for school and I chose to go to a $40k+/year school (GWU is one of the most expensive schools in the nation). To do so required a LOT of sacrifice financially. I commend Tiz84... I DO believe in working your a$$ off for what you want and doing whatever it takes to get it...

BackOrdered

Contributor
Ever speed on the highway and get away with it? No need to answer since it's a rhetorical question. The point is, your logic doesn't make sense and you still didn't answer the question posed to you.

I'll repeat, what makes you think he has the right to post what he did? I'm not saying he does or doesn't. I'm just curious what your line of thinking is.

Well, on a web forum you have as many rights as the web master allows. The reason I said he got away with it is because I didn't answer back and kinda took in a POV. I really didn't take it seriously at all.

Moving right along...

I've been getting some flak about not sounding more helpful. OK here is my reason for not helping right off and if he pays attention, I may have some helpful advice. I'm in a similar spot as far as tuition goes, not because of partying or whatever, but because I've wasted no expense in chasing the dream of being a Naval officer. Every dime I earned since I left high school was used to fuel being an officer. I spent hundreds of dollar on meds and rehab to get in shape and at least pass the Physical and I paid for many semesters out of pocket. I chose to go to a private University even though I pay a king's ransom ($900 per credit hour) because life is short and I wanted to go to this university since I was 5 and I regret nothing. Rather than using credit, I'm currently working myself to the bone to raise the needed funds (tomarrow is my first day off in over a month). I'm nearly there. I just have to start a payment plan with the University and continue to work while in school and my credit score won't suffer a single point. I can now finish college with or without BDCP money. This without the "cursed" GI bill. I too don't get any extra money in terms of big scholarships save a few consolation grants and loans, but the GI bill would have greatly improved my situation if I had it. I don't. This is why I came off a little iritated with the topic creator. Did you ever think for a second that you had a blessing?

This brings me to the other reason I'm not showing empathy to the topic creator's situation. The three year waiting period is NO, repeat, NO reason to give up on being an Officer if it is what you truely want. I've been knocked down countless times now. Imagine my face when my dream university I sent countless dollars to get into accepted me into their ROTC unit only to boot me out on a technicality the recruiter didn't make me aware of. Granted I've been grooming myself to be an officer longer than you, regardless, to me three years is three seconds because being an officer is my dream and no one can keep me from it. That why I'm applying to BDCP. The package you send isn't enough to get you a commission. You got to start showing some internal fortitude not just for the board, but for yourself.

fly2fight25

Fight to Fly....Fly to Fight !!
I agree with you tiz84. Bad credit IS an indicator of character. But being a quitter, is an even bigger one. The creator of this thread should be knocking down walls to achieve his goal... not walking the other way.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
So if bad credit equals bad character, and bad character is irredeemable, the only logical option here is a few bottles of painkillers and some Everclear. (Hint: failure to pay off debts to a large, uncaring company may be morally equivalent to stabbing your buddy in the back, through some Bible verse somewhere, but it's not going to seem like it to someone in his twenties until a bunch of people with good credit tell him so.)

Shouldn't join the military, forget getting married, friends won't last long, (oh, and messing with capitalism is anti-patriotic), might as well just off yourself so people can write a Darwin Award about failing to adapt a modern worldview. Example: I pay cash only. Pretty soon I'm accused of trying to ruin the lives of hard-working men and women at credit card companies. Don't get me wrong, I love capitalism but it's not in the oath of office.

Note: I realize that financial habits can reveal character flaws, but I just don't get a kick out of telling people I disrespect them without ever meeting them. There is a difference, like it or not, between stealing something and borrowing it irresponsibly. Also note the difference between keeping finances in order and watching someone's back in combat, it's neat to make connections but this one isn't legitimate by any stretch.

Now I'll sit back and watch my security clearance get pulled, in 3..2..1..

fly2fight25

Fight to Fly....Fly to Fight !!
Bad character traits can be changed. It's up to the individual. I'd bet that some individuals, who thought everything was running smoothly along their road to the cockpit, weren't even aware that a credit check was part of getting a clearance, are now sitting there with their heads spinning because of this thread. Which is a good thing. Better to find out now, while there may be sufficient time to fix it, than to get denied at the selection board. It may be too late or it may not. If not, do your very best to fix the problem. It's only an obsticle!! If you give up or simply don't apply, then you secure your fate as a permenant officer wannabe. "Life is a storm, you'll be basking in the sunlight one moment and shadowed on the rocks the next. What you do when that storm comes makes you who you are." That's Character.

This forum can help you to high heaven, praise you til your blue in the face, give $2 million in free advice, or completely rip you a new a$$ hole. Take it on board!! Don't give up your dreams!

Status
Not open for further replies.