• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who gets the T-6 Texan II first?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
You mean ICLS...

The Rhino NATOPS (and everything in the jet) actually do call it "ILS"... regardless of whether or not it's the same system as the AF and civilian world uses it. It works the same way... just not compatible with their systems...

That's fine, and I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. That being said, when talking in general about aviation, when someone says "ILS", think they mean military or civilian system? I'd say civilian.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
UInavy said:
Whats the reasoning behind shooting GPS approaches? Just general SA building?

Hey, what's the rationale behind shooting these long-winded full arcing TACAN approaches in the training command? Every do that in the real Navy? ;)

Besides, learning how to use the GPS (even if it's for approaches) isn't a bad idea. You'll use it again in Advanced Intercepts if you go Strike/Fighter... or in Comps if you go Strike (or Fighter-Comps... guess they added those to the syllabus). Just good to be familiar with waypoint plotting and how the system works, et cetera

TurnandBurn55

None
Fly Navy said:
That's fine, and I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. That being said, when talking in general about aviation, when someone says "ILS", think they mean military or civilian system? I'd say civilian.

Well, UINavy IS a salty veteran who has been fully brainwashed into Navy-speak ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pags,

The NSE TACAN is only certified as a TACAN for that exact reason. If it was a VORTAC, then PNS and whatever that field south of S. Field is would want to use it. It's not just that it doesn't show up on the charts, it's legally not....well, legal. But I think that's what you're saying.

EDIT...never mind, Fly beat me to it. I hate it when I'm stuck on another page.

@Chuck,

I think it depends on your community. We would use GPS tactically all the time, to the extent that some people freak out when the little "G" goes away (which is quite often). Personally, I think ASW is easier if you just leave GPS off once it fails. But if it does work while you're doing it, your solution is much tighter. Plus for OTH targetting, it's so much easier to pass reliable info to other assets with GPS. Things don't drift.

notyco

You guys need to do your reaserch the difference between the T-6A and T-6B isn't BETA. The T-6B has weapons stations and can be used for close air support training. You can check it out on Raytheons website.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
and talking to an AF guy at Randolph - the AF sees no need for beta. He reminded me that the T-6 is primarily designed to teach a single seat jet candidate - just as with the auto trim on the rudders, the the behavior to move th PCL to beta is a uniquely turbo-prob behavior - and not one the AF wanted to teach. So not including Beta on the T-6 made perfect sense to our AF comrades.

ChuckMK23

pilot
right and if you fly anything other than a single seat jet with an "F" in front of it, you are considered a second class citizen in the AF

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
and talking to an AF guy at Randolph - the AF sees no need for beta. He reminded me that the T-6 is primarily designed to teach a single seat jet candidate - just as with the auto trim on the rudders, the the behavior to move th PCL to beta is a uniquely turbo-prob behavior - and not one the AF wanted to teach. So not including Beta on the T-6 made perfect sense to our AF comrades.

Yet they dumped a JET primary trainer and spent all this money making a PROP fly like a jet. Yeesh. Although on the whole "need for beta" issue, is there any other airfield in the world which does split-field ops other than Whiting?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
right and if you fly anything other than a single seat jet with an "F" in front of it, you are considered a second class citizen in the AF

Yes and no, I think. The real second class citizens in the AF are Navs. (I mean by the way they are treated)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Yet they dumped a JET primary trainer and spent all this money making a PROP fly like a jet. Yeesh. Although on the whole "need for beta" issue, is there any other airfield in the world which does split-field ops other than Whiting?

I have heard that mentioned, but exactly does split field ops mean? North and south field?

ChuckMK23

pilot
HH-60H said:
I have heard that mentioned, but exactly does split field ops mean? North and south field?

It means that at North Whiting, departures are usually initiated from mid-field intersection, Landings made to approach end.

The AF, when joint UPT was in it's evolving stage, looked at the Navy's non centralized approach to course rules and about had a heart attack. They [AF]think we are nuts!

TurnandBurn55

None
HH-60H said:
Yes and no, I think. The real second class citizens in the AF are Navs. (I mean by the way they are treated)

Actually Navs are third-class citizens... below WSOs...

And yes, it actually is an entirely different selection process. Like in the Navy where you can select pilot or NFO out of your commissioning source, in the AF you select pilot or WSO or Nav... three totally different pipelines for them...