• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who gets the T-6 Texan II first?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Good job on your part though. You at least did answer his question on the first attempt. ;)

Every now and then I like to surprise you ;)

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

pilot
I dont know much about the plane, but I heard that the T6B will be better than the T6A by a longshot. I think the navy will start using them in 2 to 3 years.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Steve Wilkins said:
Just for you Road...(large pics of 19th century hardware deleted)
Holy crap, Steve. I don't know what's sadder: The fact that you have what appear to be personal pictures of Betamax hardware, or the fact that I'm old enough to remember our family owning said hardware. :p

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
nfo2b said:
Holy crap, Steve. I don't know what's sadder: The fact that you have what appear to be personal pictures of Betamax hardware, or the fact that I'm old enough to remember our family owning said hardware. :p
Easy there youngster, I spent a small fortune buying one of those when they first came out for my BOQ room in P'cola right after AOCS. It was my first "big" purchase with my Ensign money.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think that's Steves, since it's PAL. And Steve...you've got a pic of Betacam, which is still used, not just Beta. I expect better attention to detail from you.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
HAL Pilot said:
Easy there youngster, I spent a small fortune buying one of those when they first came out for my BOQ room in P'cola right after AOCS. It was my first "big" purchase with my Ensign money.
:D :D :D
A little gift for ya...
product.jpg

kray1395

I've had a few conversations with other people here at Whiting about when we might see the first T-6's on base and who would get them first, us or Corpus. I don't remember any hard numbers as far as what year we could expect them or anything but I've been told that Corpus could expect them before us because apparently you guys already have side by side runways. To use them here we would have to build new runways to parallel those we already have. That or we would have to seriously increase the time it takes us now to launch and recover aircraft. Now if what I've heard on here about the development of a T-6 with beta is true, the above could be a moot point. In that case, I don't know which base could see them first. Hope that helps.

And to sum up the first few answers given to your question, if you want T-6's now, select Vance or Moody. Though I think I've heard that Moody can't be selected anymore. You should verify that with someone else.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's funny, kray, because I've been hearing this for several years. What kills me is when I was going through flight school, they were extending all the runways for the T-6 including the OLFs and South Field. It was like a slalom in the HTs trying to get through the hotpits w/ all the construction, and that was several years ago.

Not saying you're wrong, kray, just funny how the same things keep getting said.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think it all goes back to the fundementals of how the Navy vs. AF fly and operate aircraft.

The AF drives a structured combat mission kind of mindeset from the beginning - with each fllight having very specific phases - and airspace in allocated and managed per aircraft.

The Navy simply lets the IP do all the big picture planning, off to Area 1, see and avoid, etc.

T-6 is geared to the former - split field ops? The AF thinks we are the epitome of lax safety. Not preflighting with the PCL in hand? Herasey.

Ask an AF IP at VT-3 about how we train - they have that deer in the headlights look when they are in the FITU...

ChuckMK23

pilot
"Beta" or alternate mode of throttle setting : a beta mode can be reached by lifting the throttle over the stop, starting the propeller blades toward neutral pitch and, with farther aft movement, employing increasing amounts of reverse thrust.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
beta = below effective thrust angle. No forward thrust from the prop. If you go deep enough into beta you get reverse thrust.

ChuckMK23

pilot
HAL Pilot said:
beta = below effective thrust angle. No forward thrust from the prop. If you go deep enough into beta you get reverse thrust.

I never knew that it was an acronym for something; e.g B E T A.

Nice. Learned something new.

Yessir

Hooker
pilot
kray1395 said:
And to sum up the first few answers given to your question, if you want T-6's now, select Vance or Moody. Though I think I've heard that Moody can't be selected anymore. You should verify that with someone else.

Thats true the last navy guys reported to moody in early august. If you want the T-6 youre only hope is Vance and there its only a fifty fifty shot since they have only transitioned half of their T-37s to T-6s as of yet