• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who gets the T-6 Texan II first?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is a backwards acronym? i.e. did someone put the acronym to the word? I always thought it was a play on alpha... since alpha is traditionally angle of attack.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
mules83 said:
What will differ with the B model than the A.

Talked to the contractors who were designing it while at Hook '04... it's going to have even more digitized cockpit than the -A... to include a HUD and MFDs... pretty wild...

No word on whether they'd have a TACAN or antilock brakes though...

Pags

N/A
pilot
Fly Navy said:
No TACAN in the T-6A? That's the basics of Navy instruments...

Yeah, the T-6's AF colors shining through. I don't know if they can shoot TACAN approaches, since I don't know the specifics of VOR/DME and paired freqs.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
Yeah, the T-6's AF colors shining through. I don't know if they can shoot TACAN approaches, since I don't know the specifics of VOR/DME and paired freqs.

Well, if the approach doesn't say VOR/DME on it, only TACAN, you can't shoot it as a VOR/DME, even if it's possible. I guess you could for training purposes in VFR, but it's not legal in IFR.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you just have a VOR/DME then you cannot tune a TACAN and vice versa.

Pags: I am not sure what you mean by a TACAN paired freq, but a TACAN by itself has DME. The VOR freq and the DME freq are the only paired freqs I can recall.

Edited: I guess that is not quite accurate. The TACAN has paired freqs (1 for the bearing and 1 for the range), but they are both set when you dial in the TCN channel (i.e. 11Y)

Pags

N/A
pilot
HH-60H said:
If you just have a VOR/DME then you cannot tune a TACAN and vice versa.

Pags: I am not sure what you mean by a TACAN paired freq, but a TACAN by itself has DME. The VOR freq and the DME freq are the only paired freqs I can recall.

Edited: I guess that is not quite accurate. The TACAN has paired freqs (1 for the bearing and 1 for the range), but they are both set when you dial in the TCN channel (i.e. 11Y)

I thought every TACAN had a VOR freq paired with it, like the TACAN at North Whiting is 70X, but you tune the VOR to 112.3 and the VOR needle points the same way. Granted, this is only Primary RI knowledge.

Chubby

I think thats because they have a VORTAC at KNSE and not a straight up VOR or TACAN. They are co-located, but I could be wrong.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Fly Navy said:

True. We use the paired freq on the TACAN just for SA and departure procedures. The only approaches we shoot into NPA are ILS, GCA, and GPS. We have GPS that can mimic the TACAN but it's not legal to use on a TACAN approach.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You guys are getting the two systems confused. Usually (read: 90% of the time), stations are VORTACs. They are a VOR(and maybe a DME) and they are a TACAN. Two seperate pieces of gear that are co-located in the same station. Some are VOR/DME. Some are just TACANs (like at some Navy fields). There are also VOR/DMEs w/ a TACAN channel, but the TACAN channel distance only, so aircraft like the T-34 can use it. Each of these has it's own little widget on the sectional/enroute chart to tell you what it is.

As for GPS, I don't know if the TH-57C is legal now, but it was close when I was going through. The VR G4s use it as well. I may be wrong, but I don't think the -60S has it approved. Only TACAN and ILS, but I'm sure one of the HSC guys can correct me.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
As for GPS, I don't know if the TH-57C is legal now, but it was close when I was going through. The VR G4s use it as well. I may be wrong, but I don't think the -60S has it approved. Only TACAN and ILS, but I'm sure one of the HSC guys can correct me.

The Navy is so behind the rest of the aviation world in this respect, it isn't even funny.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TACAN: Azimuth and DME on UHF frequencies. Tune your channel (70X) and you get that information.

VOR: Azimuth ONLY on VHF frequencies. Tune your station (108.0) and you get that information.

VOR/DME: Azimuth and DME on VHF/UHF frequencies. In a civilian VOR/DME, you tune your station (112.7) and you get that information. It automatically tunes in the paired UHF frequency for the DME. If you tune a TACAN to the listed channel for the VOR/DME, you ONLY get DME information.

VORTAC: TACAN and VOR (possibly VOR/DME) co-located. Pick which one you want to tune.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fly Navy said:

Probably shouldn't be anymore - with the exception of at the boat. But TACAN is a dead/dieing technology.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But Chuck, I'm thinking that whole "boat" thing is a key ingredient to Naval Aviation training. I know, I know, a better system could be put on there, but we all know how long that takes.