• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who gets the T-6 Texan II first?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
It means that at North Whiting, departures are usually initiated from mid-field intersection, Landings made to approach end.

The AF, when joint UPT was in it's evolving stage, looked at the Navy's non centralized approach to course rules and about had a heart attack. They [AF]think we are nuts!

Ahhh, I see. I went to Vance, so I got to use the whole runway.

At AF UPT you are always IFR, even in the "FAM" phase. Out of 100ish hours there, I was VFR maybe 10 hours.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
HH-60H said:
At AF UPT you are always IFR, even in the "FAM" phase. Out of 100ish hours there, I was VFR maybe 10 hours.

At Whiting I did not file IFR until almost finished with RIs (except for the 3 BI flights in the MOA). My initial RI flights were VFR directly over the NSE class C airspace.

toddb

nittany03 said:
Yet they dumped a JET primary trainer and spent all this money making a PROP fly like a jet. Yeesh. Although on the whole "need for beta" issue, is there any other airfield in the world which does split-field ops other than Whiting?

The Canadian's did the same thing, got rid of their CT-114 Tutor's for the Ratheon CT-144 Harvard II (Canadianized version of the Texan II).
Mind you the Tutors are around 40 years old, but it's still one burning instead of one turning.

As a matter of fact these CT-144s aren't even owned by the Canadian Armed Forces, they're Leased from Bombardier Aerospace.

Todd

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm thinking that props are beating out jets due to fuel and life-cycle maintenance costs, not for reasons of flight characteristics.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You are prob right. About the max you can get out of a Tweet is 1.5hrs per flight.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
and talking to an AF guy at Randolph - the AF sees no need for beta. He reminded me that the T-6 is primarily designed to teach a single seat jet candidate - just as with the auto trim on the rudders, the the behavior to move th PCL to beta is a uniquely turbo-prob behavior - and not one the AF wanted to teach. So not including Beta on the T-6 made perfect sense to our AF comrades.

Because that's so hard to un-teach. Silly AF. I flew a T-34 and I'm doing just fine on the T-45. I don't ever get the urge to go to Beta and I am quite happy flying with my feet on the floor ;)

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Hey, what's the rationale behind shooting these long-winded full arcing TACAN approaches in the training command? Every do that in the real Navy?

Its practice for when you are nordo and need to recover. Since I got a cloud card I have always done vectors to final here in the training command, prior to that though, it was usually the full approaches.

Recover IFR that is.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I don't ever get the urge to go to Beta and I am quite happy flying with my feet on the floor ;)

No more mystery spike under the instrument panel that cuts the **** out of your boots?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
brd2881 said:
Its practice for when you are nordo and need to recover. Since I got a cloud card I have always done vectors to final here in the training command, prior to that though, it was usually the full approaches.

Recover IFR that is.
It's called a Case III recovery, something you might want to familiarize yourself with. ;)

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
Fly Navy said:

you never noticed that the T-34 had an uncanny ability to destroy the toes of boots? I would come back from flights and have chunks missing out of the toes. I had some friends who cut their boots down to the steel toe.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
you never noticed that the T-34 had an uncanny ability to destroy the toes of boots? I would come back from flights and have chunks missing out of the toes. I had some friends who cut their boots down to the steel toe.

Uh, no, never. I"m 5'10". How tall are you?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey Pags,

You know when you're airborne, you don't need to keep your toes on the brakes. Only when on the ground. ;)

I know people squeeze the black out of the stick and PCL/collective, but I've never heard anyone trying to push the paint off the pedals until their boots fell apart. You sure you weren't on the short, yellow T-34? :)

phrogpilot73

Who the hell would want to recover IFR?!? Lower, slower, circumnavigate, land... You mean you guys can't land in a farmer's field and wait it out? Man, I'm glad I'm a helo guy... (Sorry, couldn't resist) :D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
Who the hell would want to recover IFR?!? Lower, slower, circumnavigate, land... You mean you guys can't land in a farmer's field and wait it out? Man, I'm glad I'm a helo guy... (Sorry, couldn't resist) :D

No, but we can climb above most weather... ;)