• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting BOQ

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I agree. Scoober is married, so I'm assuming that he was referencing either living by yourself, or living with only your spouse (and no roommates).

What he said.:D All I'm saying guys, is that the barracks are not all that bad...besides...it ends up being a little bit like a frat house anyway. It really can be fun.

Could you make a bit of money living in a house with three roommates? Sure. In this, as with all things military though...remember this...It will serve you better to make the best of what you are getting, than to fight for what you aren't. Make the best of it, and you will have more fun, be more successful and piss off many less people you shouldn't.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I heard rumors that they were also letting single students move into two-bedroom family housing since it's so empty and they're getting ready to renovate. Couldn't hurt to ask for all those people with furniture or pets etc.

I was told this directly from the GMH people. They will let single people rent a 2 bed / 1 bath here in housing. Or 2 can split the 2 bedroom. The question is if this is going to be a CTW-5 or NASWF mandate which then it will not matter what GMH will let you do.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
The new USE OF GOVERNMENT QUARTERS letter is out. It is from the Whiting and Pensacola Commanding Officer dated 5 Mar 2008. If you want a copy pick it up at building 633. It covers per-diem, use of government quarters, and some other good gouge for those who need to know.

jazzdude

I'm currently in the Whiting BOQ- its a pretty nice setup if, like me, you have no furniture. Basically a Bedroom, 2 bath, study room, living room, and kitchen.

Its a good deal compared to getting a single bedroom apartment.

Only downside (besides no BAH) is the random inspection that happens approximately once a month

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Aside from not pocketing excess BAH, I guess at least everyone else w/o families/etc is right there with you....

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Just curious, do corpus guys have to live in the Q? Also living in the Q is not saving you money(Its the Navy who is saving). The only advantage it will give you is when primary starts kicking your butt all sims and resources will be right there.

Does this apply to SNFOs who pcs here or is it just for SNAs with those crazy orders that put them in that new assesion limbo BS

HokieJarhead

If you can avoid living in the whiting BOQ I would. LIving with a roomate in pensacola lets you pocket a lot more then you would living in the BOQ.

Aside from that, having to live at in Milton, FL, is not exactly a pleasant experience. You are gonna rack up taxi fares to go to and from the pensacola night life. If you're married its one thing living in milton and pace, but I am going to call shennanigans if they are gonna make you give up BAH to live at whiting. There is something to be said for being able to get away from work and the schoolhouse atmosphere, and the Wings bar certaintly does not give you that ability

If you can, try and live in the area near west florida hospital, or university of west florida. You're about half way inbetween Nas Pensacola and Whiting, and near 90 alt, 10, and 110.

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . all you single guys should just go find someone to marry (for the BAH of course :)

;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... but I am going to call shennanigans if they are gonna make you give up BAH to live at whiting.

You can call it what you want, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation for those that get sent to the Q (IF they're actually doing this).

There is something to be said for being able to get away from work and the schoolhouse atmosphere, and the Wings bar certaintly does not give you that ability

Personally, I couldn't agree more.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
You can call it what you want, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation for those that get sent to the Q (IF they're actually doing this).

Personally, I couldn't agree more.
They are doing this. It's happening to me.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Yes and it applies to the new helo advanced guys checking in too.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Slight threadjack here...Does anyone know what is prompting this? Ensign's farqing up or what??? Seems like an odd policy to implement for no apparent reason.