• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting BOQ

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the issue on this thread, and the short-term kick in the junk it will be to some, but what I find unbelievable is the public wanking about it going on. I cannot tell you how many junior enlisted folks look at this site while putting in STA-21 packages and the like. They see USN officers complaining about moving into a 2 room fully furnished apartment for a short term period. Not only the junior enlisted, but the world can see this. Embarrassing.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I understand the issue on this thread, and the short-term kick in the junk it will be to some, but what I find unbelievable is the public wanking about it going on. I cannot tell you how many junior enlisted folks look at this site while putting in STA-21 packages and the like. They see USN officers complaining about moving into a 2 room fully furnished apartment for a short term period. Not only the junior enlisted, but the world can see this. Embarrassing.

If that's the case, then maybe the thread should be moved to a different section of the forum.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Ah yes, because hiding embarrassing things is WAY better than dealing with the root causes.

MasterBates

When I was forced into the BOQ at whiting, it caused a HUGE financial pinch.

Single ENS. $1100/mo in student loans. (ENS pay was lower then). Kid on the way.

I was on the ramen diet living there.

Also back in the day, there used to be more stuff on base. With all the cutbacks, try finding something to do after 1700 on a smaller base. To include the NEX being open or Subway.

Here in Krock, we are lucky and Wal-Mart and the restaurants are less than 2 miles out the gate.

Whiting, 2002 when the base closed, farking ghost town. What we saved on commuting to work in gas, was more than spent on storage units, and driving into town because the NEX closed 10 min after you landed.

EDIT:
The bases I have been on, that have large amounts of Enlisted living in the barracks, have lots of facilities open reasonable hours for them to use. Not so on the 2 smaller NAS's I have been on (Krock, Whiting)

being an 0-1 with a good chunk of school to pay off, as well as one who counts on that extra BAH as a part of my income to help pay those bills

I agree with $50K in student loans to pay off @ $800/month in addition to car payment and trying to save.

Although you can pocket a fair amount people keep failing to point out the fact that you will be paying extra money for rent, utilities and the extra gas to drive to work depending on where you live...

My roommate and I have a two bedroom apartment and after utilities its $550 for each of us. So the extra $1000 a month is really closer to $400 (which is still better than nothing).

or getting a $550/month one bedroom apt with a better quality of life (fiance and family actually being able to visit over night and being able to have my dog again) and not having to pay for my own storage.

when I finally was able to get my own place I was happy as hell. Since then I've acquired enough stuff that it is more than a minor annoyance to move back into a barracks.

I'm also not looking forward to checking my pistol and shotgun into the armory.

Pets, yeah I have a couple. I do have arrangements to get them taken care of, but, had I known this was the case more than two-three weeks ago I would have done things differently on the move down here.

I know how you feel, I've acquired 3500 lbs of stuff and I have a mounted deer head and bass that will not survive the heat of a storage unit that isn't climate controlled.

I also have 2 rifles, 2 pistols, and a shotgun

I have a dog that my dad has taken care of while I was in corpus and they can't take care of it anymore that I will have to give away if I move in the Q.

Well, with that rationale he'll really like it if he's training somewhere that allows him to enjoy the time that he's not studying.

I know that my job is to study for my wings (and I will do what ever it takes to get them), but it sucks that I'll be moving within 200 miles of my fiance again (in addition to everything else) but not be allowed to have her come and visit at all.

We, as young ensigns, don't have any leadership experience, and we're learning how to be leaders based on our experience with our leadership and how we are treated personally. Am I supposed to be kosher with telling my men/women (one day in the future) that they have to give away their rights to seeing their fiance, that they will have to give away their dog, and they will have in incur more financial burden than what they previously experienced while not being deployed (its understandable with a deployment) at a moments notice?

I've learned from a mentor and role model of mine that the root of almost every problem and disagreement in the military (with leadership) is forgetting to educate or inform your men/women. Us flight students are showing up to whiting completely ignorant (at least us from corpus) because we haven't been officially informed of this policy by our command and are being surprised with this news when we show up to whiting. This whole situation and thread could be resolved by better communication between commands (even if it were just an email) so that we could know before hand and plan accordingly.

I'm sorry if I am being too analytical. but I have an industrial engineering degree and anyone with an engineering degree knows how annoying and analytical us imaginary engineers can be.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wouldn't mind living in the Q. My only complaint is the lack of communication between commands. The only place that I have heard about this (down here in corpus) is from this website and a LT at our selection brief telling us that we might have to live in the Q if we select helos. I would have no problem if I knew that I had to live in the Q before the movers came and packed me out. If they want us to live in the Q, tell our command to inform us. Finding out that I have to live in the Q when I'm checking in at Whiting with 3500lbs of goods on a truck on its way to Milton and my father on his way with my dog and 4 days worth of clothes in my car just doesn't seem right.

With this I agree. The policy, if it exists and for whom, needs to be communicated early and clearly. But as w/ much of the Navy, things don't always move so smoothly when starting up. Not the "right" answer, but a fact of life. I'd continue to work w/ your STUCON/Ops Admin to resolve the confusion.

bb1125

None
I've been biting my tongue for a while seeing as how this doesn't affect me, but I can't help it. I've heard multiple times about how this policy will affect them financially(not being able to pay loans, etc). Well, as we all know, BAH is meant to pay for rent and utilities. If you've been pocketing anything extra, then you've been making out. BAH wasn't meant to pay off your student loans, so why do you think you're entitled to it. I think that is what was being alluded to in the "enitilement" argument earlier.

Sure it sucks having to move into the Q and I think you should be reimbursed for storage. You may even be entitled to it, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. I think this is the only valid argument I've heard so far though.

If you don't want to live in the Q and want to live in base housing (more freedom, still get BAH), check out the houses for sale or rent forum.

Rg9

pilot
... if you signed a lease without orders in hand to API or Primary for that matter....shut up, you're done complaining.

I agree with Semper Gumbi that if they force you to break an existing lease and move, then you have a legitimate complaint...
Doesn't the SCRA cover that? I believe you can break a lease with proper notice and not be held liable for it if you are forced to move into government quarters (just like you can with a PCS). Go to PSD and they can write a letter.