• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is wrong with the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
What do you all think of NPR?

Independence is essential for reducing the bias in the news, and unfortunately all the majors - CNN, ABC, NBC, and yes FOX - all have to compete for advertising dollars, and advertisers are going to favor the network that makes them look good when one of their subsidiaries is the subject of some story..

The problem these days, I think, is that NPR is starting to have to finance themselves (and compete for dollars) and that has become a slight issue in the subjects they are reporting and the way in which they are reporting them..

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
I think that CNN is definitely to the left in a lot of its news coverage. It seems like they always try to put their own spin on the news.

However, I definitely don't think Fox News presents a fair and balanced report. I believe that the opinions of most of its personalities are not just slightly conservative, but ridiculously right wing. A lot of the personalities get quite overzealous and agitated when presenting their opinions, and I don't think that portrays a fair and balanced opinion.

I think that people like to watch the news channels that they feel most comfortable with. If you don't like to watch a certain family of networks, then just don't watch it!

Personally, I don't watch much TV, so I usually just tool around on the internet to find my news.

utrico

Applying for OCS
I think Fox is awful. I know everyone will disagree but it is. It is extremely biased and not very informative. Most of their shows involve a host yelling at a guest for 5 min and then a new guest comes on. That is unless, of course, the guest is a Republican in which case they spend the whole show patting each other on the back. I watch it sometimes because it is entertaining but it is not news. I mean do you guys really like Sean Hannity? He acts like a little kid the way he interrupts and tries to talk over the guest if he does not like what they are saying. Not to me mention how bad he distorts the facts. He is clearly a spokesman for the Bush administration. This would be fine with me if he was a guest and not a host or if he would at least tell the truth. I could list a lot of other people on Fox I don’t like but I figure I will get enough flap for this already.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
What do you all think of NPR?

I find NPR too libral for me, and I"m all for them funding themselves. They get how much a year in donations, plus Govn't $$. It's too much in my book.

Fox is to the Right, the rest are to the Left. Guess it all balances out.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
utrico said:
I think Fox is awful. I know everyone will disagree but it is. It is extremely biased and not very informative. Most of their shows involve a host yelling at a guest for 5 min and then a new guest comes on. That is unless, of course, the guest is a Republican in which case they spend the whole show patting each other on the back. I watch it sometimes because it is entertaining but it is not news. I mean do you guys really like Sean Hannity? He acts like a little kid the way he interrupts and tries to talk over the guest if he does not like what they are saying. Not to me mention how bad he distorts the facts. He is clearly a spokesman for the Bush administration. This would be fine with me if he was a guest and not a host or if he would at least tell the truth. I could list a lot of other people on Fox I don’t like but I figure I will get enough flap for this already.

Be careful, you're about to enter a no-spin zone

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
utrico said:

You're confusing news with opinion shows. O'Reilly, Hannity, etc are not news anchors. They are opinion shows, just like Crossfire, etc. This argument is one of the weakest I've seen against Foxnews (not you specifically, I see it from a whole host of people who don't like Fox).

Here is a philosophical question for you: Is Foxnews (not opinion shows, but news delivery) right biased, or are the other networks so far left that "fair and balanced" seems to be right wing. Foxnews may be right biased, but I sure as hell know that anything that ISN'T LEFT seems like it's right-wing. Makes you go hmmmmmm.

And NPR is leftist liberal trash.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I"m pretty to the right and even I got tired of O'Rielly. I do like Dennis Miller though. What channel is that CNBC or something?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the way, pay attention to Bill O'Rielly, he can be a bit lefty sometimes. It's rare, but it comes out.

utrico

Applying for OCS
Well, you are right. What I was referring to was opinion shows but that is their prime time line up and that is what most people watch. I mean what on Fox is not an opinion show? Are you talking about the 30 second updates they have? Maybe I just don’t watch it enough but I am really trying to think of when they show just news so I can’t say if they are fair or not. Would you agree that their opinion shows are far to the right?
Dennis Miller is CNBC

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They show news all throughout the day. Primetime all the major networks are in opinion shows.

O'Reilly can waver, Hannity and Colmes has both left and right, and to tell you the truth I've never watch Gretta. What matters to me is the news delivery. If an opinion show is biased, well, then so be it. Hopefully people are smart enough to realize that is not news, but opinion.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
For you righties,
are there any specific problems you have had (recently or otherwise) with the way news has been reported on CNN and the others in that category? It seems that your arguments for FOX are emotional and tautological (XXX is liberal trash, YYY is left so it's garbage)...

Which network was making the fuss about American Idol and Friends? (I don't have a TV but I've heard it all over the radio..)

utrico

Applying for OCS
Since some of you like to throw the word liberal around like it is an insult, you might remember what it means:

Definition: [n] a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
[n] a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets
[adj] tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
[adj] showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
[adj] not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem"
[adj] given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather"
[adj] having political or social views favoring reform and progress

That doesn't sound so bad to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.