• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is wrong with the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
Patmack18 said:
I wanna know when she is going to OCS (given that she isn't even selected yet) so I can send her DI a post card.

I guess OCS wouldn't be interesting if it were easy.. Patmack, I'll let you know when I find out.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
hey gorp, my wife'll kill me (she lurks on AW), but......

"hey, what's up."

rockin' out with my c0ck out.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
ENSsquid said:
"hey, what's up."

Oh.. nothing. I think I've just about gotten myself out of trouble :fight_125 , but I don't want to jinx myself, so I will try to say only polite things from now on.. :smirk_125

CLAM97to99

I tend to agree that one thing you can’t attack Kerry on is his military history. He volunteered to be a swift boat skipper. This is one of the best ways to get yourself killed, if you were in the Navy, during Vietnam. But what you can attack is the disgraceful way he acted after he got home. Being a conservative liberal I have talked to a lot of people about him, and my felling is that most of the people that are going to vote for Kerry aren’t actually going to voting for him they are going to vote against Bush.

But to get back to the original subject of this thread I found myself disturbed watching the promos for the news the other night. They spent all their time talking about who was the next person kicked off American Idol and the last episode of Friends and failed to even mention any real news. Am I just a weirdo or do the majority of the people in America really care more about these stupid TV shows than they do what is actually going on in the country/world?

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
People watch that stuff because it doesn't make them feel bad or sick to their stomachs. Watching decapitations, while probably more important and pertinent to what's going on in the world-at-large, upsets people.

The point is, we don't have to watch! It's still capitalism, and if enough people decide that it's garbage and don't watch, the shows don't get ratings, no advertisers, no money, and bam, it's outta here.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
At the same time, I think it would be very difficult for the media to present these cases (Berg, Fallujah, Abu Ghraid) without putting their own spin on what happened. American consumers want the story, it's more sensational if it's a story and not just the raw facts. Also, the media's job is to package up the raw facts into a nicely digestible product. Because people eat up what the media gives them, that basically throws out "innocent until proven guilty" since no one's going to take the time to sift out the facts and make up their own minds.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The news media is only concerned with one thing: entertainment. Look at the stories you see. It is either sensationalistic, bad news, or Hollywood. You NEVER see good news from Iraq, among other things. It is not "news" to them, i.e. it is not entertainment. This is why the internet news sources are booming and the TV and paper media is very very upset about it.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
So what does everyone watch for News? I like Fox; can't stand the Clinton News Network. What about the rest of you GUYS?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Foxnews is the only cable news I can take. CNN, ABC, MSNBC are all trash.

gorpwarp

pro-rec'd snfo
I use news.google.com for various news agents' takes on the same topic. (It's still probably not accurate but... what can you do?)

Status
Not open for further replies.