• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VQ Hinge Charged with Espionage

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Did you know that several spies defeated polygraphs multiple times? If you don't believe what you are doing is wrong with how is a polygraph going to pick it up?

Conflicting views on Ames "defeating " the polygraph as in he was buttering up the examiner who gave him the benefit of the doubt when descrepencies were noted. They were there during one of his periodics, but were interpreted incorrectly when they looked back and reviewed the records.

Are polygraphs foolproof? No, but they've become the norm for other agencies to place people in positions of trust, DoD may want to follow suit. Granted the headlines would be terrible when a large portion of individuals fail them over previous drug use, but sometimes you have to break a few eggs...

Hindsight is 20/20. Sometimes it's one of those "they fooled us all" and other times it's one of those "It was pretty obvious and/ or we should have screened them better." I'm guessing, given the subjects background, in this case it's going to be the latter.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Conflicting views on Ames "defeating " the polygraph as in he was buttering up the examiner who gave him the benefit of the doubt when descrepencies were noted. They were there during one of his periodics, but were interpreted incorrectly when they looked back and reviewed the records.

He wasn't the only one though.

Are polygraphs foolproof? No, but they've become the norm for other agencies to place people in positions of trust, DoD may want to follow suit. Granted the headlines would be terrible when a large portion of individuals fail them over previous drug use, but sometimes you have to break a few eggs..

They are a tool, and given the fact there have been plenty of spies in those agencies I don't put a lot of faith in them.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Quash speculation, then speculate! Anything is possible at this point, hopefully the FBI and NCIS will get to the bottom of it.
Lol. Ya got me. I should have said "also possible."

I imagine with 8 months of clandestine CI/HUMINT, FBI and NCIS may have succeeded already. If I were king for a day and in their shoes, I would tell Lin (8 months ago) "you aren't going anywhere. If you work for us as a double/triple for several months (to figure out the extent of the damage, and possibly do some denial/deception), we'll take the death penalty off the table."

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
He wasn't the only one though.

They are a tool, and given the fact there have been plenty of spies in those agencies I don't put a lot of faith in them.

They may not stop the truely dedicated but would serve more of a deterrent for idiots like Seniors officers trading secrets for sexual favors from people like fat Lenard, leakers to the press and guys who figure they'll never get caught otherwise.

People in positions of trust should be required to and expect more scrutiny into their lives than a periodic update of addresses and speeding tickets after signing a NDA that many don't even read.

We've got people who spew secrets everywhere we look. It's easier to cull the herd by denying access if someone can't pass an initial or periodic CI/lifestyle poly than it is cleaning up the mess after they disclose classified information.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They may not stop the truely dedicated but would serve more of a deterrent for idiots like Seniors officers trading secrets for sexual favors from people like fat Lenard, leakers to the press and guys who figure they'll never get caught otherwise.

People in positions of trust should be required to and expect more scrutiny into their lives than a periodic update of addresses and speeding tickets after signing a NDA that many don't even read.

We've got people who spew secrets everywhere we look. It's easier to cull the herd by denying access if someone can't pass an initial or periodic CI/lifestyle poly than it is cleaning up the mess after they disclose classified information.

You are proposing an uncertain and costly solution to a vastly larger group of people than who are subjected to that sort of scrutiny right now. It is one tool of many used for some folks with some clearances, and given its track record it is definitely not a panacea for solving espionage problems. To impose that requirement on everyone with any old clearance would be unwieldy and impractical. And to be frank the folks that look to them as a 'solution' to problems are usually unfamiliar with their utility and effectiveness.

People with security clearances should expect more scrutiny and do get it but there are hundreds of thousands of folks that have them in this country and the reality is no system is going to catch every spy, at least until they put tracking chips in everyone's head.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You are proposing an uncertain and costly solution to a vastly larger group of people than who are subjected to that sort of scrutiny right now. It is one tool of many used for some folks with some clearances, and given its track record it is definitely not a panacea for solving espionage problems. To impose that requirement on everyone with any old clearance would be unwieldy and impractical. And to be frank the folks that look to them as a 'solution' to problems are usually unfamiliar with their utility and effectiveness.

People with security clearances should expect more scrutiny and do get it but there are hundreds of thousands of folks that have them in this country and the reality is no system is going to catch every spy, at least until they put tracking chips in everyone's head.
+1

Also, I'll take a Cool Ranch flavored tracking chip.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Comparisons

nowayout3.jpg
and
eddy_lin_2008.png

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
^^^ he does have the most squared away combination cover I have ever seen - that's for sure!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The articles keep saying Taiwan and the PRC. I have yet to see them spelled out exactly who it is alleged he worked for. Hard to see him serving both of those masters. Maybe it was a Pollard thing. He either gave stuff to the RofC, or maybe thought he was, and it was the PRC in actuality.