• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VQ Hinge Charged with Espionage

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah makes sense, maybe saying they were friends was a stretch but it certainly can't look good if you're a CDR or CAPT who endorsed him for something like "leadership", right?

In hindsight maybe but many of the folks who were 'linked' and endorsed him were fellow JO's or DH's of his so nothing out of the ordinary. I worked with a guy who knew and worked with 4 spies over his career, we all picked on him for being a common thread between them all but it was nothing more than something to pick on him about.

While the profile disappearing may have been at the request of the Navy or law enforcement I wouldn't be surprised if LinkedIn did it on their own, it is a business after all and they want to minimize their exposure too.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah makes sense, maybe saying they were friends was a stretch but it certainly can't look good if you're a CDR or CAPT who endorsed him for something like "leadership", right?
LinkedIn "contacts" are not intended to be FB "friends." The usual criterion for "contacting" someone is "I've worked with this person, know them personally, or want to network." It's considered acceptable to "contact" people like your boss's boss you'd never "friend" on FB.

LinkedIn "endorsements" are not really full references. They are to references as FB "likes" are to calling the person up and personally telling them how awesome their post is.

The people who took the time to write a paragraph on his profile about how awesome he was are probably a little more embarrassed. Those are more like actual references.

But as with many other crimes that go on under people's noses, it just goes to show that with a little effort, bad people can fool good people more easily than we'd like. Until they get busted, but still.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Facebook is for people you know.
Twitter is for people you don't know.
LinkedIn is for people you want to know.
Facebook is for friends and family.
LinkedIn is for professional contacts.
Twitter is for being an incoherent raging asshole to strangers in 140-round bursts.

BenDog

We had a kid at a helicopter squadron in Norfolk that checked into the airframes shop. He was there less than a week and announced that he was a Chinese national. WHHHHAaaaaaaaaTTTTTTTT ?!?!?!?!?!?!? we all thought while trying to figure out how the heck he even got into the Navy. In addition, we found out that his family had some political ties in China.
We sent him to TPU rapidly. Not sure whatever became of him. I would suspect that he got the boot.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I went through boot camp with a guy who had been in the Iranian Army. Wasn't savvy enough at the time to ask if it was the RG, but I assume not. He spoke better English than the rest of the division and was a champ in the gas chamber. He said after a few times getting gassed, it still hurt a little, but one could shrug it off.

BigRed389

None
We had a kid at a helicopter squadron in Norfolk that checked into the airframes shop. He was there less than a week and announced that he was a Chinese national. WHHHHAaaaaaaaaTTTTTTTT ?!?!?!?!?!?!? we all thought while trying to figure out how the heck he even got into the Navy. In addition, we found out that his family had some political ties in China.
We sent him to TPU rapidly. Not sure whatever became of him. I would suspect that he got the boot.

We had a Chinese national MRFN on my first ship.

What we found out:
You only need a green card to join the Navy as an enlistee.
You only need citizenship for a security clearance.
As a MR, he simply wasn't working near anything even remotely sensitive.

Still not a fan of it for various reasons, but unless you implement a no Country XYZ nationals enlistment policy, it'll probably continue to happen.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a Chinese national MRFN on my first ship.
What we found out:
You only need a green card to join the Navy as an enlistee.
You only need citizenship for a security clearance.
Fact. These cases are as unique as the people that generate them. But it'd be flat-out un-American to say that everyone with a green card is a potential spy, so send them to TPU and ADSEP them. How many Iranian-Americans are there whose families got forced out by the revolution, and who don't have the time of day for the current regime? Likewise for Vietnamese-Americans after the war. It goes back to Leadership 101: KNOW YOUR PEOPLE AS PEOPLE. Then you know who the real Americans are, of every color and creed, and who the sketchy ones are that you need to keep an eye on.

Again, I doubt that Mr. Lin didn't show signs beforehand. But I also don't doubt that those signs were murky and disputable enough that good-intentioned officers didn't turn him in until they did. Yet I also bet that many who saw the signs are now worried that they're going to get crucified for missing what was right in front of their nose the whole time.

azguy

None

Fact. These cases are as unique as the people that generate them. But it'd be flat-out un-American to say that everyone with a green card is a potential spy, so send them to TPU and ADSEP them.

Disagree. On a warship, submarine, or squadron, things don't need to be classified to be sensitive.

Do you think the PLAN, RFN, or IRGCN would let an American citizen crew one of their ships, subs, or a/c? I seriously doubt it.