• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US AIRWAYS Crash in the Hudson River

Would most crews take the same actions as Flight 1549 and be as successful?

• YES.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • NO.

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You might very well be right on the "award" ... but I remember ALPA (spell-checks as 'ALPO', btw) giving it out in the past to non-ALPA crewmembers, so w/ all things political (politics even in ALPA, right CAT?? :D) I think ALPA might see this as an "opening" to the USAir(ways) pilot group and I don't think CAPT Prater can pass up the opportunity to swallow yet another microphone ... :D

Ergo, I think it's a "good" bet ...
Interesting take. In fact you might very well be right. I would be happy to see it.

Politics in ALPA??? Nah, say it ain't so!!! :eek: :D

I'm told Sully was very much against the decert. and of course he used to do a lot of work for ALPA. It will be interesting to see what happens. I'd vote for it (if I still had a vote :) )

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
FLYTPAY:
What are you trying to measure with this Poll?

Are you trying to find out the percentage of crews that will ditch in a similar situation or trying to find out how many would successfully pull off a ditch?
Would most crews have done the same thing and had the same successful results? or//// would they try to go to Teterboro and come up short, CFIT it into Manhattan, fvck it away some otherway. Would they fvck up the crew coordination, the comms, the cabin instructions?

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
What did this guy do that wasn't in his job description?
Fly well?
Not panic like a bitch?
Crew Coordinate?
Fly the jet to a place he could put it down safest? Don't pilots usually glom onto the longest straightest patch of whatever that catches your eye within 45 degrees of the nose when you can't make it to a runway?
Land well?
Stay with his ship?
Keep his mouth shut after all is said and done?
(the list could continue...)

This dude did an amazing thing... his f**king job, it's what they train and pay you to do when the shit hits the fan.

I for one am very glad Sully did his job. Everybody at some point in a flying career has the opportunity to be a goat. Sounds like he is no goat.
I'm not gonna blow him or anyone else for doing their job well, but I'd buy him a beer to hear the story. Guess that makes me a stuck up shithead.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ernest K Gann, author of the book based on his real life adventures, hated the movie so much he wanted his name removed from it.
You might ** emphasis MIGHT ** have that confused w/ "Fate is the Hunter" .... but anyway ...

Several guys in one of my airlines knew him personally -- I met him once (briefly at a bookstore in Friday Harbor) as he lived just up the island chain from me -- and to a man, the older airline guys who knew him WELL said he was a first class asshole.

Don't kill the messenger -- that's just what they said. I am certain that all of us would like to be as prolific and respected writer as he was ...

This is how I remember him:

gann.jpg

Ernest K. Gann, author ... according to Wiki

ernestgann.jpg

exhelodrvr

pilot
What did this guy do that wasn't in his job description?
Fly well?
Not panic like a bitch?
Crew Coordinate?
Fly the jet to a place he could put it down safest? Don't pilots usually glom onto the longest straightest patch of whatever that catches your eye within 45 degrees of the nose when you can't make it to a runway?
Land well?
Stay with his ship?
Keep his mouth shut after all is said and done?
(the list could continue...)

This dude did an amazing thing... his f**king job, it's what they train and pay you to do when the shit hits the fan.

I for one am very glad Sully did his job. Everybody at some point in a flying career has the opportunity to be a goat. Sounds like he is no goat.
I'm not gonna blow him or anyone else for doing their job well, but I'd buy him a beer to hear the story. Guess that makes me a stuck up shithead.

Yes, it doesn't seem like it was extraordinary flying or decision making (as opposed to the Sioux City landing, for instance).

Clux4

Banned
Would most crews have done the same thing and had the same successful results? or//// would they try to go to Teterboro and come up short, CFIT it into Manhattan, fvck it away some otherway. Would they fvck up the crew coordination, the comms, the cabin instructions?

I am not an Economics guy but I think it is very difficult to capture that kind of data. The crews state of mind is one thing and no one here can tell you how they would have reacted. Also skill level and confidence in once ability also plays a factor here. I just don't think you can get that kind of data unless you put people through a similar simulated situation. Who is to say that another pilot could not have flown into Teterboro and be successful.

I am happy he got the plane down and saved all sould onboard.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thing is, how many decisions made in an emergency only turn out to be the correct ones in hindsight? If Capt Sully had made Teeterboro, would we all be now saying, "I can't believe those guys thought about ditching in the Hudson"? Most of the time, you've got seconds to pick between several apparently equally shitty choices.

The crew in this case made their decision, stuck with it, and then tried their best to make it work, e.g., aimed for a touchdown point near the commuter ferry lanes. All aboard were lucky to have an experienced crew that knew their shit. I'd love to hear the cockpit voice recorder on this one; sounds like it will be one of those "good CRM" stories in the near future.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
/geekrantbegin

The glide ratio for most commercial jets is in the ballpark of 16-19 ... the WHALE was @ 18 ... the DC-10 was @ 17.5 ... the 3-holer was @ 16.5 ... yadda, yadda, yadda ... whoever reported "80" probably heard "18" and said "80" ... news media ... :sleep_125

I'll tell you what's going to make me scream, media talking heads that keep chanting that he missed the GW bridge by 150ft. You gotta be shittin me. I just did some geeky calcs (I'm bored ok) and with the GW bridge being 600' tall at the highest point, adding another 200 just for margin of error and looking at the distance from the GW bridge to around the Intrepid - where the plane touched down - as being about 6 miles...40:1 glide!!

Pair of pliers and a blow torch if I see one of them. :icon_rage

/geekrantcomplete

BTW - Go Cards!!!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Just wait till History Channel, A&E , and Discovery make their documentaries. That will probably be the title.
Don't forget the True Hollywood Story.....so why the hell do people out of Hollywood get a True Hollywood Story?