• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US AIRWAYS Crash in the Hudson River

Would most crews take the same actions as Flight 1549 and be as successful?

• YES.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • NO.

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Al Haynes is a name that everyone in aviation should know. That was a pinnacle event in the flourishing idea of CRM. Why do I feel like I'm preaching to the choir?

Al Haynes -- good stick, a gentleman, a good guy ... a short bio from Wiki

Al%20Haynes-2.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From the Wiki bio on Al Haynes:

His daughter Laurie Haynes-Arguello (born 1964) gained media attention in 2001 when she was diagnosed with aplastic anemia. By 2003, her disease was in an advanced stage and she required a bone marrow transplant. Because his daughter's insurance would not cover the operation, Al Haynes needed help from the AIR LINE PILOTS ASSOCIATION (ALPA), which donated money and brought the Haynes' monetary plight to light. Many survivors of Flight 232 found out about the case and they also helped raise money. Eventually, his daughter was able to get the transplant.

Anyone else have any questions re: the worth of ALPA ??? The Air Line Pilots Association ??? The *gasp* .... "union" ... ???

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I had the honor to meet Al Haynes during aviation week at MTSU, my school. He gave an hour long personal account of UAL 232 in front of 300 wide eyed aerospace students. One of civil aviation's greatest for sure.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We tip toed around the relative airmanship feat that was Cactus 1549 in another thread. "Could you have done it". "Could another crew have done as well", yada, yada. I can say that twice now in 18 years I have flown the sim with no engine power, and I really don't think there is much to landing on a smooth wide long river. Most my props go to the quick analysis, and decision. But something no one had any experience with was the UAL 232 flight control degradation. No real decisions to make. It was instinctive. It was survival. When I was a DC-10 FE we worked something like the UAL 232 profile in the sim. Now that is a bitch! There is airmanship for you. Could I have dead sticked into the Hudson, you bet. Could I have done a better job with UAL 232, I simply can't say for sure.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
We tip toed around the relative airmanship feat that was Cactus 1549 in another thread. "Could you have done it". "Could another crew have done as well", yada, yada. I can say that twice now in 18 years I have flown the sim with no engine power, and I really don't think there is much to landing on a smooth wide long river. Most my props go to the quick analysis, and decision. But something no one had any experience with was the UAL 232 flight control degradation. No real decisions to make. It was instinctive. It was survival. When I was a DC-10 FE we worked something like the UAL 232 profile in the sim. Now that is a bitch! There is airmanship for you. Could I have dead sticked into the Hudson, you bet. Could I have done a better job with UAL 232, I simply can't say for sure.

You know... I remember reading in the after action on 232 that in the initial design of the DC-10 the routing of the hyd lines past the No. 2 engine made them vulnerable to a catostrophic failure, but the justification was that it was a 1:10million chance that it would happen and would cost more money to redesign. Only through the incredible actions of Al Haynes and crew did ANYONE walk away from that accident.

For those that don't know Sioux City crash rescue had a drill the day prior for just such an accident (a widebody crash, for an airport that did not serve wide bodies), and the local hospital was in the middle of a shift change when the call came in about the situation, so they held everyone and were double staffed. Luck was also most certainly on their side as well.

MasterBates

I met Capt Haynes at the Krock O-Club about 6-7 months back. He really reinforced

NEVER GIVE UP. FLY IT ALL THE WAY TO THE END.

Python

pilot
Contributor
The last of a dying breed.

I know it is yet another thread about the US1549 crash, but I believe this one is of great value and substance about the evolution of airline pilots. New York Magazine published a great article.

Quotes deleted

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know it is yet another thread about the US1549 crash, but I believe this one is of great value and substance about the evolution of airline pilots. New York Magazine published a great article.

[Quotes deleted]

Note to all users. Please read Terms of Use before quoting from a copyrighted source. This violates their Terms of Use and AW Copyright Policy.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just saw this. Couldn't find it linked to elsewhere. These guys were cool, calm and collected. Most importantly they were decisive. Good aviation lessons here.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
How many freakin times did he have to tell that controller that he was going in the Hudson??