• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US AIRWAYS Crash in the Hudson River

Would most crews take the same actions as Flight 1549 and be as successful?

• YES.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • NO.

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many ditchings under similar circumstances - engine failure at a high enough altitude and with enough airspeed so that the crew had time to analyze and decide where to go, followed by a smooth water surface to land on, and (judging from the water surface as shown on the news last night) not much wind - have there been?

From what I can find there have only been 3 or 4 other incidents where a large jet airliner has intentionally ditched (depends on whether you count the Garuda plane).

The first one was a Overseas National Airways DC-9 that ran out of fuel after making multiple approaches to St Maarten. There were multiple failures on the crew's part and many passengers did not survive, but most did. The plane sank relatively quickly, reason unknown.

ONA/ALM Ditching

The second was the infamous Ethiopian Airlines 767 that ditched off the coast of the Comoros. The pilots were fighting with the hijackers for control of the plane (as well as being smacked with a hammer among other things) which is part of the reason why it flipped when they tried to ditch it. Apparently many people inflated their life vests inside the plane and were trapped as a result.

Ethiopian hijacking and ditching

Two others that I can find are a Garuda Airlines 737 that ditched in a river 1 meter deep in 2002 and a Russian Tu-124 that ditched in a river in 1963.

Garuda ditching

Aeroflot ditching with picture

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The press has made such a big deal about Sully yet we still have yet to hear a word from him.... my money is on the FO. I am betting that he flew that plane all the way down (with Sully's assistance) and the airline is trying to figure out how to spin all of the hoopla about Sully when they break the news to the press that "the other guy" actually was PIC. Maybe they will offer him a free career upgrade to stay quiet.

I've heard (more or less knowledgeable) speculation that was much less positive than that, WRT to the silent pilots.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The press has made such a big deal about Sully yet we still have yet to hear a word from him.... my money is on the FO. I am betting that he flew that plane all the way down (with Sully's assistance) and the airline is trying to figure out how to spin all of the hoopla about Sully when they break the news to the press that "the other guy" actually was PIC. Maybe they will offer him a free career upgrade to stay quiet.

Looks like we will know soon enough...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/28708381/?GT1=43001

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The press has made such a big deal about Sully yet we still have yet to hear a word from him....

He was told by investigators not to talk to the press. Obviously he has now gotten clearance, but don't take his silence as something that it is not.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The captain, OTH, went back to put on his coat and cap so he could depart the A/C with his image intact, complete with paperwork.
Putting your coat on before evacuating a ditched aircraft in the winter is a survival issue, not image. As to image, it is actually procedure at my airline that on evacuating the aircraft the pilots put their hats on. That is so they are immediately recognizable by the passengers as an authority figure. In a crowd, without a hat, you are just another passenger in a white shirt and tie. Many pilots have lobbied the company to get rid of the hat. Company says no, and this is one of the biggest reasons.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious to know if they attempted an airstart.

-ea6bflyr ;)
A bird strike FODs an engine so well it won't likely restart. The compressor blades are too damaged. Then again, many FODed engines continue to make some degree of thrust.
Not sure of the A320, but every other airliner I have flown the ignition is on for take off. So if it quits and you still have fuel and decent rotation, it may restart on it's own.

yak52driver

Contributor
I heard that Airbus installs a 'ditching' button that the pilot can push that inflates seals around external compartment doors in the event of a water landing to aid in keeping it floating. Anyone know if this is fact, or fiction?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard that Airbus installs a 'ditching' button that the pilot can push that inflates seals around external compartment doors in the event of a water landing to aid in keeping it floating. Anyone know if this is fact, or fiction?
The guarded A-320 "ditching switch" that is located on the starboard overhead panel with the manual pressurization controls, is depicted below on the right.

When the guard is raised and it is pushed, it commands:

1. The relatively large, outflow valve (which controls cabin pressure) closed.
2. The emergency ram air inlet closed.
3. The avionics ventilation inlet, and extract valves closed.
4. The pack control valves (cabin air conditioning systems) closed.

ditchingswbz8.png

jcj

Captain's account according to this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28688215/

THE FO was flying & the Captain took it over after the bird strike.

Both engines failed.

They did not use the "Ditch" switch.

The FA chose to not use the rearmost emergency exit, the decision likley saved lives.

They had time to look for a ditching area in the river near some vessels.

They (primarily the FO) did atttempt air restart.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Rant switch---ON

I think it's interesting that when the press lambastes a pilot or crew for screwing up the winged world rises up and defends their actions (to a point); shouting back "monday morning q-back" and things of that nature.

But when the press is calling a crew that ditched a crippled airliner into the water, and got everyone out and to safety without a single fatality heroes, some of those same fliers are calling their judgment into question and doing the same thing they claim to lament

Things like "Why didn't he simply land at Teeterburo" (sp?), or "they're not talking to the press, and my best friend's sister's cousin has an uncle whose niece knows a reputable source who says they're not talking because they screwed the pooch" just annoy me to no end. Seriously, the pilot made the right choice in making a water landing where no one on the ground would be hurt and the pax stand a good chance of surviving, versus 'maybe' being able to reach teeterburo, and if they don't, there will be a lot of casualties, both on the ground, and in the air. Hopefully the decisions we make will be just as successful if/when our time comes to bat.

Rant switch---OFF

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I think it's interesting that when the press lambastes a pilot or crew for screwing up the winged world rises up and defends their actions (to a point); shouting back "monday morning q-back" and things of that nature.

But when the press is calling a crew that ditched a crippled airliner into the water, and got everyone out and to safety without a single fatality heroes, some of those same fliers are calling their judgment into question and doing the same thing they claim to lament...

Hear, hear. But.

Aviators, especially military aviators, are like brothers in a big Irish family...we'll throw punches amongst ourselves seven days a week, but any attack by an outsider means we all turn on them together.

I don't know about you, but I've heard Monday-morning quarterbacking aplenty in the Ready Room for pretty much every mishap, regardless of the outcome. The reason everyone gets so torqued at the press is when they do stupid Monday-morning quarterbacking, e.g., all the asshats sniping last month that that Marine Hornet driver should have rode his jet into the ground rather than punched. The fuck do they know, anyway?

The crew in this case were very lucky, very good, or both. Here's hoping we all get the same when it's our turn for a Dark and Stormy Night.