• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US AIRWAYS Crash in the Hudson River

Would most crews take the same actions as Flight 1549 and be as successful?

• YES.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • NO.

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Of course. Obama INSISTED on the change of course from Teterboro to the river. He convinced the Captain it was a change he could believe in.

With all due respect, you're both wrong. It was Tim Tebow that saved the day.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I may post this question: When an A320 loses both engines what powers the controls systems and do you get a "feel" for the plane in a dead stick situation? I know they are fly by wire and I am assuming that it is battery power but there has to be a bunch of hydraulic pumps that are running though.

Although it was a fine VFR day, the loss of both engine driven generators would have probably resulted in back up primary flight instruments on the Captain's side only. That may be one reason why the Captain decided to take control. The FO may have had to look cross cockpit at what few instruments were left.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Although it was a fine VFR day, the loss of both engine driven generators would have probably resulted in back up primary flight instruments on the Captain's side only. That may be one reason why the Captain decided to take control. The FO may have had to look cross cockpit at what few instruments were left.
That's a good guess as to why they switched control if we understand it correctly and the F/O made the takeoff and was at the controls when the birdstrike happened.

... and for the record, if I were in the left seat and we KNEW we were going down -- I'd fly it. No doubt on that one.

CAPT's call ... I signed for the airplane, and it's ultimately MY responsibility for the ship & the lives of crew & pax, for better or for worse. As such, I'll be damned if I'm going to "sit" there and watch another do the deed.

With the 4th stripe comes the good & occasionally the bad ...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
New Cactus 1549 info

An FO from my airline was a jumpseater on the US Airways A320 that ditched in the Hudson. She was seated in first class with another jumpseater, from Delta I believe. Her account of the actual incident is consistent with previous reports. What is notable is what happened after she was delivered to the ferry terminal on rescue. Captain Sullenburger collected both jumpseaters and had them stay with the actual mishap crew. When he inquired about the condition of the crew, he asked the jumpseaters as well. My company FO, being a female, had left/lost her wallet on the plane because it was in the overhead. The Captain gave her $20.00 for incidentals. Before they even left the ferry terminal the US Airways Pilot Association union rep appeared. US Airways now has an in house union after decertifying ALPA in the dispute over seniority lists post AWA buy out. The USAPA reps took charge of everyone, including the jmpseaters. They all went to the hospital together, then the USAPA rep took them all to a hotel. After arriving at the hotel our union rep showed up and took care of her needs. Not only did USAPA and the Captain of flight 1549 treat the two other airline juumpseaters like crew, so has USAirways, so far. Both jumpseaters have been offered post inciddent counseling like they were crew.

Here is the point for all you airline jocks out there. USAPA and Captain Sullenberger has set the bar high. During the next incident I expect ALPA, APA, SWAPA, Teamsters, etc, to treat their jumpseaters like crew. Take care of them. USAPA ( and I am not a fan of their intra airline politics) showed real class and professionalism.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Here is the point for all you airline jocks out there. USAPA and Captain Sullenberger has set the bar high... Take care of them. USAPA ...showed real class and professionalism.

No shit. Good call, Wink ... thanks for the confirmation.

I would ALWAYS include jumpseater's -- online or offline -- in the "crew" considerations ... and usually pass-riders as well ...

United we stand ... (and that's NOT UAL :D) ... divided we fall ....

We're all in this together.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ RE: Wink's post ....

And THAT ... for all you know-nothing, knee-jerk, anti-union zealot-bigots ... is WHY WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL PILOT'S UNION.

Next time you want to pontificate about "unions" ... think about it

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
No shit. Good call, Wink ... thanks for the confirmation.

I would ALWAYS include jumpseater's -- online or offline -- in the "crew" considerations ... and usually pass-riders as well ...

United we stand ... (and that's NOT UAL :D) ... divided we fall ....

We're all in this together.

I don't remember his name off the top of my head, but it was an instructor riding in the back that "became" part of the crew of UAL 232 and was key in the outcome.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,
My Dad is one of your Co-workers & he sent me that link a few days ago. I was thrilled to hear the positives between the unions since there has been so much wasted animosity.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't remember his name off the top of my head, but it was an instructor riding in the back that "became" part of the crew of UAL 232 and was key in the outcome.

Fitch ... Denny Fitch. He was a deadheading DC-10 Instructor and a former ANG pilot. His assistance was invaluable to the outcome.

Al Haynes was the CAPT ... he lived just down the road from me when I was a kid. :)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Fitch ... Denny Fitch. He was a deadheading DC-10 Instructor and a former ANG pilot. His assistance was invaluable to the outcome.

Al Haynes was the CAPT ... he lived just down the road from me when I was a kid. :)

Al Haynes is a name that everyone in aviation should know. That was a pinnacle event in the flourishing idea of CRM. Why do I feel like I'm preaching to the choir?