• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I will speak fairly candidly.

I very well may not fully comprehend flight suit regulations. However, I do know this much: flight suits are not a service uniform and as such are not authorized for wear in public (save your standard quick stops like gas, child care, et al.).

Navy Uniform Regs 6803.2 a) "Flight suits may be worn by aircrew members and individuals engaged in flight or flight-related duties during that working day. [...] Flight suits may be worn to/from home and work to include brief and appropriate stops, on military transport aircraft, and to official business meetings away from home station when the wear of flight suits is appropriate for transportation, or for the level of meeting (i.e. working meeting)."

Obviously the gray area that causes problems is "flight-related duties" which really should include anything you're doing at the squadron (ie, bags all day at work). However, the second part is pretty clear on wear outside of work. Flight suits are equivalent to what utilities used to be, and while wear is slightly less restrictive than coverall wear (never outside the base), its always frustrating to see officers get on enlisted guys about proper uniform wear, and then see these same guys grabbing lunch off base in their flight suits.

Is it really that hard to lead from the front? If you're going to enforce uniform regs on your subordinates, first make sure you're complicit with them yourself.
You should read this verbatim at your first AOM in the fleet to make sure you square away all the rest of us nasties.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I asume you will be wear khakis or NWU's to work on days you are not on the flight schedule since you are going "to lead from the front" as you wrote.

hotmetal

on target
You should read this verbatim at your first AOM in the fleet to make sure you square away all the rest of us nasties.
I asume you will be wear khakis or NWU's to work on days you are not on the flight schedule since you are going "to lead from the front" as you wrote.

You both may have missed this: "Obviously the gray area that causes problems is "flight-related duties" which really should include anything you're doing at the squadron (ie, bags all day at work)."

To answer your question, yes, I would wear khakis all day if I required my division to be in NWUs vice coveralls. Maybe that makes me a tight ass, but I also believe that just because you're an officer your wife doesn't need VIP parking at the Commissary... I digress, but I'm sure you get my point.

Edited to keep the sanity.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
...words...

buzzkill.jpg

robav8r

None
Contributor
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I will speak fairly candidly.

You do realize that you are preaching to a whole host of folks that have spent an entire career "leading from the front?" Go easy on the professional, career enhancing, uniform advice. Like mud-wrestling with a pig, you'll only get dirty and piss off the pig ;-)

Pags

N/A
pilot
You both may have missed this: "Obviously the gray area that causes problems is "flight-related duties" which really should include anything you're doing at the squadron (ie, bags all day at work)."

To answer your question, yes, I would wear khakis all day if I required my division to be in NWUs vice coveralls. Maybe that makes me a tight ass, but I also believe that just because you're an officer your wife doesn't need VIP parking at the Commissary...

You won't set the uniform of the day as a divo, thats usually done in the plan of the week. The plan of the week for my current squadron says the uniform of the day is NWUs for non-flyers and flight suits for flyers (aws included). Think of it as less an o vs an e thing and more of a "choose your rate, choose your fate."

And my wife parks in the same spots as your wife.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

To answer your question, yes, I would wear khakis all day if I required my division to be in NWUs vice coveralls. Maybe that makes me a tight ass, but I also believe that just because you're an officer your wife doesn't need VIP parking at the Commissary...

And here we have it - the true nature of the problem. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you AW's newest MK 1 Mod 0 chip on your shoulder prior enlisted guy. Have fun with that.

exNavyOffRec

You won't set the uniform of the day as a divo, thats usually done in the plan of the week. The plan of the week for my current squadron says the uniform of the day is NWUs for non-flyers and flight suits for flyers (aws included). Think of it as less an o vs an e thing and more of a "choose your rate, choose your fate."

And my wife parks in the same spots as your wife.

I had a carrier CO's wife who believed because her husband was an O-6 that she was entitled to park in the spots designated O-6 and above, the base CO disagreed.

KBayDog

Sailors bitching about uniform minutiae: Proof that "Jointness" is working. (You're all starting to sound like Marines.)

Continue.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Oh man, you're going to have a GREAT time in flight school! I bet your time in the fleet goes even better.

hotmetal

on target
And here we have it - the true nature of the problem. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you AW's newest MK 1 Mod 0 chip on your shoulder prior enlisted guy. Have fun with that.

We're a fleet requirement, they have to let enough of us through to balance out your standard Tom Cruise wanna be Academy grads.

In all seriousness though, its not so much a chip on the shoulder, as it is a core belief that a sailor is a sailor, regardless of rank. Officers are put in a place of authority so salutes, respect, etc... are all necessary parts of good order and discipline. However, authority does not beget entitlement, and that's where I personally draw the line. The same standards should be equally enforced across the board. The very fact that even a minor mention of this will have the forums in uproar is indicative of a problem within the Navy. The Marine Corps does it best, junior personnel always eat first, and if your sleeping on the dirt, you can bet your platoon commander is too.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
We're a fleet requirement, they have to let enough of us through to balance out your standard Tom Cruise wanna be Academy grads.

In all seriousness though, its not so much a chip on the shoulder, as it is a core belief that a sailor is a sailor, regardless of rank. Officers are put in a place of authority so salutes, respect, etc... are all necessary parts of good order and discipline. However, authority does not beget entitlement, and that's where I personally draw the line. The same standards should be equally enforced across the board. The very fact that even a minor mention of this will have the forums in uproar is indicative of a problem within the Navy. The Marine Corps does it best, junior personnel always eat first, and if your sleeping on the dirt, you can bet your platoon commander is too.

Dude, you've been on this forum all of 2 weeks and you come in all high and mighty, you might want to sit back and do some more reading before you post and continue to make an ass of yourself.