• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm, maybe you should have joined the Marines. As someone who has been on both sides (unlike you), this is not an issue in the fleet. If you want to frame this issue in terms of who's entitled to what, there's a big difference between Os and Es. I'm entitled to more pay. I'm also entitled to more responsibility. Conversely, most Es don't have to take their work home with them at the end of a 12 hour day and they enjoy a lot more leeway when they fuck something up. The list goes on and on. I'm certain that you'll figure this out if you ever get back to the fleet. In the meantime, check the attitude a the door. You have zero experience as an officer. Lecturing people who have been in this business for 20 plus years about "how it is" or "how it should be" in the fleet is a bit ridiculous.

hotmetal

on target
Brett,

Don't get me wrong, I understand almost (likely everyone) here has more experience as an Officer than I do, and I truly appreciate the collective wisdom found around here. My original point was that as an officer, really any leader for that matter, one should hold themselves to the same standards that they hold their subordinates to. I'm sure you can agree with this. The discussion has been going a bit sideways, but at its core, that was my point.

Deere1450

pilot
Brett,

Don't get me wrong, I understand almost (likely everyone) here has more experience as an Officer than I do, and I truly appreciate the collective wisdom found around here. My original point was that as an officer, really any leader for that matter, one should hold themselves to the same standards that they hold their subordinates to. I'm sure you can agree with this. The discussion has been going a bit sideways, but at its core, that was my point.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,

Check PM.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but I will speak fairly candidly.

I very well may not fully comprehend flight suit regulations. However, I do know this much: flight suits are not a service uniform and as such are not authorized for wear in public (save your standard quick stops like gas, child care, et al.).

Navy Uniform Regs 6803.2 a) "Flight suits may be worn by aircrew members and individuals engaged in flight or flight-related duties during that working day. [...] Flight suits may be worn to/from home and work to include brief and appropriate stops, on military transport aircraft, and to official business meetings away from home station when the wear of flight suits is appropriate for transportation, or for the level of meeting (i.e. working meeting)."

Obviously the gray area that causes problems is "flight-related duties" which really should include anything you're doing at the squadron (ie, bags all day at work). However, the second part is pretty clear on wear outside of work. Flight suits are equivalent to what utilities used to be, and while wear is slightly less restrictive than coverall wear (never outside the base), its always frustrating to see officers get on enlisted guys about proper uniform wear, and then see these same guys grabbing lunch off base in their flight suits.

Is it really that hard to lead from the front? If you're going to enforce uniform regs on your subordinates, first make sure you're complicit with them yourself.

Careful with quoting directives. A hard-charging Marine O-5 did the same a few years back at Whiting. Guess what? There may be more than just the Big Navy directive in place. In the O-5's case, he found out that the O-6 in charge of everyone had made the call to let aircrew wear their bags for more than just what's in the Uniform regs. Legal? Eh, maybe not completely, but the O-5 disappeared back into his hole for a while.

Ironically you may have got along with the O-6 better than the O-5. This act may have been the one positive thing the O-6 did for his people and the O-5, the one negative. Life is weird.

hotmetal

on target
Careful with quoting directives. A hard-charging Marine O-5 did the same a few years back at Whiting. Guess what? There may be more than just the Big Navy directive in place. In the O-5's case, he found out that the O-6 in charge of everyone had made the call to let aircrew wear their bags for more than just what's in the Uniform regs. Legal? Eh, maybe not completely, but the O-5 disappeared back into his hole for a while.

Ironically you may have got along with the O-6 better than the O-5. This act may have been the one positive thing the O-6 did for his people and the O-5, the one negative. Life is weird.

I get what you're saying. Copy all.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Brett,

This was said in another thread by someone else, but remember when you join the wardroom that no one gives a shit that you were a prior. Some of what you learned as a Sailor can be valuable, but class warfare attitudes arent going to make you a lot of friends in your new line of work.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had a carrier CO's wife who believed because her husband was an O-6 that she was entitled to park in the spots designated O-6 and above, the base CO disagreed.
When pags rules the world, no one will get designated parking spots.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, maybe you should have joined the Marines. As someone who has been on both sides (unlike you), this is not an issue in the fleet. If you want to frame this issue in terms of who's entitled to what, there's a big difference between Os and Es. I'm entitled to more pay. I'm also entitled to more responsibility. Conversely, most Es don't have to take their work home with them at the end of a 12 hour day and they enjoy a lot more leeway when they fuck something up. The list goes on and on. I'm certain that you'll figure this out if you ever get back to the fleet. In the meantime, check the attitude a the door. You have zero experience as an officer. Lecturing people who have been in this business for 20 plus years about "how it is" or "how it should be" in the fleet is a bit ridiculous.

Agreed. Hotmetal, these words are the truth. In time you will see the differences in being an O now. I respect the shit out of your prior services but the attitude will not fly in the wardroom nor will it cut you any slack. The saying holds true....2 types of priors..... Take a huge bite of humble pie because it will help. As a 9 year prior E-6 trust me on this. Good luck

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, Hotmetal and I had a very constructive conversation in PM. No further piling on is required, learning has occurred, and once again, all is right with the world. :D

MasterBates

Meh, I'm just glad all my squadrons had Bull Ensign, TrainingO, SWO or QAO parking.

I think I had maybe 2 months excluding TRACOM/RAG I did not have a parking spot for one of the above. And those months, I used the motorcycle parking spots.