• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms

mid1510

Searched, found nothing.

I will be commissioning in May and its about time to buy uniforms. I know I am expected to have all uniforms, but I'm looking for some advice on what I will actually need for API/VT's.

Can I get away with one pair of whites? Is 3 pairs of khakis enough? Do I need to purchase the SDBs now?

I know this has been a touchy subject, but should I buy brown shoes or wait until I'm told to wear them?

Additionally, there is a push at my unit to buy from Abbott's. Good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'd highly recommend a few pairs of khakis (two is probably sufficient), SDBs, whites, and chokers. By and wear brown shoes. Abbott's is nice stuff, but if money is an issue just get the stuff from the NEX, it's good enough. I still have SDBs from them, but all my other stuff, um, shrank.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You also need a set of NWUs. It's not often that you wear them, but the occasion does arise from time to time.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
but all my other stuff, um, shrank.

Be realistic when sizing your pants because right now you're about as lean and mean as you're ever going to be; nobody likes old uniform pants that "muffin top" or make it look like you and Tom Jones have the same tailor.

Other than the marginal value added by my response, I really just wanted to say something that would seer the imaginations of AW readership :p

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ What he said. As much as the NWU aren't awesome, they beat khakis for comfort level.

yakboyslim

None
Buy and wear your brown shoes as soon as you want.

I set out with this weird plan that I was gonna wait until I classed up for API, but ended up getting them half way through IFS. By the end of API almost everyone is wearing brown shoes, and no one will remember (nor will it matter) if you are the guy who arrived at Pensacola in them.

Searched, found nothing.
Do I need to purchase the SDBs now?

I know this has been a touchy subject, but should I buy brown shoes or wait until I'm told to wear them?

Definitely buy a set of SDBs and get your ENS stripe put on them ASAP. We had an SDB inspection to kickoff IFS, It was entertaining to watch people bribe tailors to get that gold stripe put on overnight.

You don't plan on being a "Shoe", so get brown shoes! You won't be a tool for having them here. My buddy was holding off, so we kept cracking SWO jokes til he finally got a pair. If you get them before arriving in Pensacola, I would recommend NOT wearing them at your ROTC unit or whatever group/program you're commissioning through.