• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Tough" talk from Iran

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I will go on record as saying that the USA's IC has had some very flawed NIEs in the past. Until you get read in to the SCI level m0t.... you really can't comment on what the intel community really thinks is going on.

Well, you're right - I'm absolutely sure the general public misses out on a lot of "meaty" information, so to speak. But do you really that a simple statement from the NIE e.g. "Iran stopped their nuke weapons program in '03" is lost in redaction? I mean I'm sure it's fully possible, and I know the MSM looooves to sensationalize and exaggerate, but this is news being published by multiple international sources and journalistic entities... I'd like to believe that there's truth to it.

...but maybe that's wishful thinking, as the idea of a seemingly unstable, vehemently anti-Western government with nuclear capabilities and a leader who is, at least ostensibly, stupid enough to push the button doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and tingly. :(

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Well, you're right - I'm absolutely sure the general public misses out on a lot of "meaty" information, so to speak. But do you really that a simple statement from the NIE e.g. "Iran stopped their nuke weapons program in '03" is lost in redaction? I mean I'm sure it's fully possible, and I know the MSM looooves to sensationalize and exaggerate, but this is news being published by multiple international sources and journalistic entities... I'd like to believe that there's truth to it.

...but maybe that's wishful thinking, as the idea of a seemingly unstable, vehemently anti-Western government with nuclear capabilities and a leader who is, at least ostensibly, stupid enough to push the button doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and tingly. :(
Have you read the NIE? Many, many, more journalists have pointed out the fact that although Iran has stopped weaponization efforts, the same NIE stated they are still working on the more challenging aspects of uranium enrichment and missile designs.

Even France agrees with US on the flawed spin of the NIE...

Here you go
http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/20071203_release.pdf

I'll report, you decide... :D

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Have you read the NIE? Many, many, more journalists have pointed out the fact that although Iran has stopped weaponization efforts, the same NIE stated they are still working on the more challenging aspects of uranium enrichment and missile designs.

Even France agrees with US on the flawed spin of the NIE...

Here you go
http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/20071203_release.pdf

I'll report, you decide... :D

Well, pages 6-9 (heh) seem relatively straightforward. They're basically saying over and over that they stopped enrichment for weapons purposes in '03 but that if they were to re-start it it would more than likely be covert. Barring that, it also says that although they're not, they could.

I won't spell out anything else, because I'm sure you've read it and it reads surprisingly easy for an official gov't document. To me, this talk from Iran seems like just that - talk.

I think Ahmadinejad is just talking big because he knows the US is stretched in Iraq at the moment and that Iraq has become a wholly unpopular conflict as far as the public is concerned. He clearly wants to watch the US do something stupid, such as opening up a third front in the GWOT even in the midst of a souring economy, rising gas prices, and an already unpopular war with it's neighbor.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
"Ali Larijani also recommended that Western nations consider the recent comments from U.N. nuclear watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei, who said Saturday that a strike on Iran would turn the Middle East into a "ball of fire."

Well... shit, if that's all it takes can we start tomorrow?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
"Ali Larijani also recommended that Western nations consider the recent comments from U.N. nuclear watchdog chief Mohamed ElBaradei, who said Saturday that a strike on Iran would turn the Middle East into a "ball of fire."

Well... shit, if that's all it takes can we start tomorrow?

You sure you wouldn't like to re-phrase that? OUSOONER is Iranian-American and has a bunch of family in Iran. My mom is Turkish and I grew up in Turkey; I have not only friends but family there, as well.

I can't believe I'm saying this of all people, but please think before you speak.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Mot,
Read his sig line. I'll bet his post had less to do with a desire to "kill everyone" and more to do with his faith.

Am I wrong JSF?

Zissou,

That still really doesn't excuse what he said. It takes a lot to offend me, but that genuinely offended me.

Edit: Also, Zis - with respect intended - last I checked didn't Christians preach love and peace and not turning entire regions of the planet into "balls of fire"?

Zissou

Banned
If you want to debate theology be my guest. I'll bow out now, I've "debated" with "true believers" and no longer take anyone serious unless they have a grenade. But knock yourself out.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
If you want to debate theology be my guest. I'll bow out now, I've "debated" with "true believers" and no longer take anyone serious unless they have a grenade. But knock yourself out.

All I'm proposing is that you let him a chance to take a fresh look at his post before drawing your little line in the sand. He may have not intended it to read like that at all. Didn't you recently feel like people jumped you pretty quickly?;)

*sigh* Ok.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I just don't think the raising of embargoes will happen. As an Iranian-American would I enjoy free trade between our countries? Yes, but it would be stupid for us (the United States) to do this because next, any country who doesn't like our policy will try to do something stupid and then threaten to stop only when "we raise our sanctions." Sanctioning is a major tool on the diplomatic table to put pressure on someone without force. If we were to do this...it would diminish the power of sanctions greatly.

As for JSF, I am not offended.... to each their own, I just hope his "wishes" never come to fruition. ;)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I just don't think the raising of embargoes will happen. As an Iranian-American would I enjoy free trade between our countries? Yes, but it would be stupid for us (the United States) to do this because next, any country who doesn't like our policy will try to do something stupid and then threaten to stop only when "we raise our sanctions." Sanctioning is a major tool on the diplomatic table to put pressure on someone without force. If we were to do this...it would diminish the power of sanctions greatly.

As for JSF, I am not offended.... to each their own, I just hope his "wishes" never come to fruition. ;)

Tangnetial thought:

What are the debateable track record of sanctions? I feel like more often than not sanctions lead to war than peace. Of course, that might speak volumes about just who drives us to put sanctions on them in the first place...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Tangnetial thought:

What are the debateable track record of sanctions? I feel like more often than not sanctions lead to war than peace. Of course, that might speak volumes about just who drives us to put sanctions on them in the first place...

The blockade..or "quarantine" of Cuba for example :)...That seemed to work out pretty good. Kruschev could have just said "lift the blockade or we fire".. These diplomatic steps need to be intact and abided by.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
My faith has nothing to do with it. Although I am Christian I detest anyone who has a nontolerance for religious/racial differences. So easy with the suggestive comment.

I was speaking out of a extreme dislike of any radical group. Please don't take my comment as an attack on any group of people other than the ones killing my friends in the middle east.

edit: as for my sig... I liked it more from a military standpoint than a religious one.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I was speaking out of a extreme dislike of any radical group. Please don't take my comment as an attack on any group of people other than the ones killing my friends in the middle east.

So, by that logic then do you think that the notion of turning the Middle East into a "ball of fire" is one that inherently discriminates between radical/non-radical Muslims?