• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Tough" talk from Iran

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Again, way oversimplifying it. Internal Iranian politics are just as complicated as any other country's, maybe even more than most due to the 'dual' governments.

He didn't 'lose' anything that I remember, he was elected and served the maximum two terms as President.

I think you are right about the term thing, I'm impressed by your attention to this issue. That being said, I think you can remember everytime Khatami said something "pro-West" he had to follow that up with a statement from the party line to appease his hardline superiors.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
Let's make this clear, are we talking about WAR with Iran or just some sort of operation/strategic bombing? I don't see us going to actual war, as in US boots on Iranian soil, for anything aside from an occupation of Israel. I, however do not know much.

Quit thinking 'conventionally' and start thinking 'unconventionally'.......

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Jackass said:
Let's make this clear, are we talking about WAR with Iran or just some sort of operation/strategic bombing? I don't see us going to actual war, as in US boots on Iranian soil, for anything aside from an occupation of Israel. I, however do not know much.

Even that...Iran is a very large country, not knowing strategic or tactical bombing protocol by us or our allies, I have a feeling Iran would not just fly their aircraft to another country like Iraq did...and would be a very different fight then when Isreal could just go to Syria, bomb a factory and egress with no problem.

I am pro-American just as much as you are..but I think you are severely underestimating Iran's capabilities.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I must be getting dumber with age. Because when I was in college, I thought I knew everything about this... and now I think I don't know jack. Getting old sucks.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I must be getting dumber with age. Because when I was in college, I thought I knew everything about this... and now I think I don't know jack. Getting old sucks.

well im sure you are privvy to more information than i am to this stuff..i just have a vested interest in this specific topic.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
well im sure you are privvy to more information than i am to this stuff..i just have a vested interest in this specific topic.

I think lots of us have a "vested interest" in this topic... especially when lots of us on this site are the ones executing our national will. I don't think anyone can predict exactly what will happen with regards to Iran in the coming years. I'd bet money somewhere between an opening up completely to the west and a massive nuclear exchange with Israel.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All I know is the idea of opening an embassy like agency in Iran is one of the best forward thinking ideas that President Bush has proposed in a while. War with Iran would be good for no one.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I think lots of us have a "vested interest" in this topic... especially when lots of us on this site are the ones executing our national will. I don't think anyone can predict exactly what will happen with regards to Iran in the coming years. I'd bet money somewhere between an opening up completely to the west and a massive nuclear exchange with Israel.

No, I agree everyone does, and everyone should. I meant my vested interest comes from a different angle. I have a significantly large portion of my family in Iran (dad was youngest of 12 he is the only one in the US) and have reservations about war with Iran for the same reasons most do but also from a different family perspective. While I am an American first and foremost it still does bother me in the back of my mind of the possibility of getting into a shooting fight with the Iranians.

That being said, I wanted to be a Naval Aviator way before I knew anything about Iran/US relations and I would die executing our "will" if need be. We're on the same wavelength but I was just putting my view from a different perspective and personal one.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Jackass said:
Not to be a huge prick here, but you know there's a possibility that you will be dropping iron in Iran if something were to happen years down the road, right? (If you become a naval aviator)

Almost ignorant of me to question this of you, but just thought I would remind you.

That's why I said, I'm an American first, this is my country and Iran have some of my roots, but I'm proud of both but my loyalty and everything else belong here I was raised like every other kid on the block here.

Hell, my oldest uncle was SAVAK (Shah's secret police) and was murdered by the current regime during the revolution. So of course I'd like for the current government to be ended.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Jackass said:
Not to be a huge prick here, but you know there's a possibility that you will be dropping iron in Iran if something were to happen years down the road, right? (If you become a naval aviator)

Almost ignorant of me to question this of you, but just thought I would remind you.

You did read his post right? I think that comment was uncalled for.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Jackass said:
I understand that; I was never questioning your pride. Just throwing it out there. I know I might hesitate, but then follow through if the Navy decided that they were going to bomb Oslo and I was going to be the one to have to do it!

Have you been to Oslo? I've been to Iran three times (have not been since 1997) and actually know my family there. I also know our fight isnt with the people, it's with the government...and that is why I could "drop iron" as you say.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jackass said:
I'm not under estimating anyone. If it was to be a ground war I'm sure it would be difficult, costly and I'm sure they'd put up a hell of a fight, but I'm pretty sure most agree it wont be a ground fight. Even if if the rumors are true about what they've acquired from Russia, I don't see it being much of an issue. If something happens we wont be going in there for a regime change or anything(knocks on wood). It will be blowing up some sites and being done with it(which doesn't need to be done with aircraft). With that said, I don't see anything happening.

You are thinking of Iran's conventional military capabilities, they are not going to limit themselves to that. Their primary retaliation to a hostile action against them would probably not be through conventional means/arms (and I am not talking WMD either).

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Iran's government is intimately associated with a few terrorist groups that can reach out and touch someone. It would be chaos, just look at what happens everytime Israel pisses off Palestine..(city buses and what not)