• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Tough" talk from Iran

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't we shoot down most missiles these days relatively easily? I mean, we did obliterate a satellite.

Uhhh, no. Probably one of the hardest things to do actually, especially considering how many different types of missile are out there. And MDA as a whole does not have the best of track records at it. The Navy component of it is where they have made the most 'money'.

Satellites have known orbits, even ones that are falling out of the sky. It is kind of like blowing up the 9:30 train, pretty easy to do compared to a missile. You may or may not know when and where a missile is going to get launched at you, expecially if the launcher is mobile. Kind of like a dirt bike coming at you from the woods somewhere in front of you, or maybe behind.

A very hard target, and a very hard problem to solve.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
like Flasher said....
it's pretty mush trying to shoot a bullet with another bullet. That being said, we do it better than anyone else and the Israelis completed a successful test of the Arrow ABM a few days ago.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I'm sure it's no small task, but couldn't a decent model be built off something like say, the AEGIS system that the Navy uses?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I'll take it!

thaadlauncheryw7.jpg

Lobster

^
^
Sweet pic!

"Iran's powerful speaker of parliament warned other countries Wednesday not to provoke Iran and cautioned against moves that would "cost them heavily."

^
Really? powerful speaker? Cost them heavily?

give your head a shake Iran :confused:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure it's no small task, but couldn't a decent model be built off something like say, the AEGIS system that the Navy uses?

We already have a system built off that, but it only takes care of a small part of the problem. It is a much bigger problem than you think.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Even if we DO have the capability to take these missiles out, I don't want to let the Iranians keep the program going and *hope* they don't use them.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Even if we DO have the capability to take these missiles out, I don't want to let the Iranians keep the program going and *hope* they don't use them.

You better believe they would try to use them. If a shooting war was about to go down, this might be their only chance to fire off a salvo at Isreal and our forward bases in the Middle East..before we make their lights go out...and their command and control along with it.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
You better believe they would try to use them. If a shooting war was about to go down, this might be their only chance to fire off a salvo at Isreal and our forward bases in the Middle East..before we make their lights go out...and their command and control along with it.

And this is why we have Lazers that Go PEW PEW! To shoot the missiles down. LAWLZ!

On a more serious note is that Airborne Laser System up to somewhat operational status yet?