• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To All of the New Check-ins

KBayDog

What I really remember is the Marines and their ENDLESS TBS stories.

What you failed to mention is that, in true Marine Corps fashion, 99% of their endless TBS stories were either exaggerated by a factor of three, or (more likely) complete BS.

TBS exists solely to teach/practice/hone the storytelling abilities of future former aviators. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
All i knew to do when i showed up was keep my mouth shut, try not to look like a bag of ass at muster, wear brown shoes and don't get a DUI/arrested at Seville.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All i knew to do when i showed up was keep my mouth shut, try not to look like a bag of ass at muster, wear brown shoes and don't get a DUI/arrested at Seville.

Seriously, that's really all you gotta do. It's the one time in your Naval Aviation career where you're expected to do nothing but look sharp for a few minutes once a day and otherwise keep your nose clean. Yet some guys still manage to fuck that away.

Random Task

pilot
On a lighter note, to all the new check-ins...this is a great time to get scuba certified...my wife and I did it and it was awesome. There are tons of shops, tons of sites and its about as cheap as you'll find it anywhere. Doing things like that should occupy your time. Also killing endangered wildlife will get you in trouble underwater as well as on land and in the air.

torpedo0126

Here's what I remember from P-Cola;
-Academy guys who took some time to adjust upon their release into wild
-OCS guys relaying stories from OCS like they were that chick in "American Pie"
-ROTC guys (at least this ROTC guy) trying to remember to affix collar devices before showing up for duty...and failing at least once

What you failed to mention is that, in true Marine Corps fashion, 99% of their endless TBS stories were either exaggerated by a factor of three, or (more likely) complete BS.

AHAHAHAHAHA! Its so true!

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Here's what I remember from P-Cola;
-Academy guys who took some time to adjust upon their release into wild
-OCS guys relaying stories from OCS like they were that chick in "American Pie"
-ROTC guys (at least this ROTC guy) trying to remember to affix collar devices before showing up for duty...and failing at least once

...and Marine SNA's acting like this...

http://www.spike.com/video/marines/2690790

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If somebody's really screwing something up, an NCO will "square you away" while an officer will point out what is wrong without causing a scene.
A Gunny tried to square me away once while I was in civilian clothes (hadn't shaved in a week while on leave) at the Kbay Exchange. He did it very publicly, and needless to say it didn't end well for him.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A Gunny tried to square me away once while I was in civilian clothes (hadn't shaved in a week while on leave) at the Kbay Exchange. He did it very publicly, and needless to say it didn't end well for him.
I was at the barber shop at Ft. Clayton, Panama way back when. It was an Army exchange barber and I told the barber "just trim it up the way it is. No high and tight, I'm in the Navy not the Army". A Sargent Major took offense and started squaring me away rather loudly. He had a shocked look on his face when I told him to "shut the fuck up, if I wanted to look like a walking tampon, I'd have joined the Army instead of the Navy". He then started with his "I'm a Sargent Major and you can't talk to me that way" rant. I responded the I was a LCDR and according to the UCMJ O-4 trumps E-9. That ended the discussion. BTW, we were both in uniform so he had no excuses.

brownshoe

Contributor

We were aboard the Indy, mid winter, trying to get some pilots qualed and having a tough time of it, the weather was not cooperating.

This DET we had a LDO who was O in C. Easy gig for him, seasoned deck crew, great CPO?s, a cake walk. It took us forever to get it done because of the weather. Our deck crew worked around the clock, pilots were worked to a frazzle, but we got it done, day and night traps, it just took a bit longer than everyone expected. The Indy wanted rid of us, our squadron wanted us off the ship, we were all glad to see this end.

Anyway, the O in C dressed me down for a shoeshine. Here, I have been going 'round the clock, eating and sleeping when I can, and I'm getting crap about my flight deckers! (I should mention here that I was attached to the AO shop, been requested, and went on this DET as a PC due to a squadron shortage of experienced plane captains.)

I'm not going to mention names, some of the older guys here know who I'm talking about, Chief "B" took LT. "Y" aside and explained a few things to him, quietly. It ended nicely we all settled in and watched a movie in the ready room that evening.

The Yuma DET when I was written up... well Walt, Derf, Busybee604, that's another story.:)

Steve