• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tipsy Gypsy Leather Patches

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
My leather is staying virgin. I'm considering putting my leather nametag on my nomex. Know a few people that have done that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My leather is staying virgin. I'm considering putting my leather nametag on my nomex. Know a few people that have done that.
The ONLY thing (w/ the benefit of hindsight) that I would put on my 'leather' is:

American Flag on the shoulder ...

And this on the left breast:

navywings.jpg

YOUR NAME (no rank) .... USN or USMC

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to have a Winnebago leather jacket....:eek:

but have kept my last (and final) re-issue clean of any holes...:D

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
You could get the same thing at the NEX....and that crap would not going on my jacket.

you know better than I my friend... I know they sell good flightsuits as well as gentex helmets HGU-55s, 68s, etc. I saw the assembly line... guess they need to revamp the name tag section.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I waited until I got to my fleet squadron and got in on a group buy for Typsy Gypsy patches for my jacket. It was worth the wait.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Didn't mean to come off as harsh. But the generic style of nametag that has the stamped gold lettering is meant for flight suits. The gold will wear off, etc, definitely wouldn't want that on a nice leather.

I think I'll be going the route of TG, the new JOs in my squadron are putting together a new order of nametags and squadron patches.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Because I care, here's a side by side comparison of the different types of nametags for your viewing pleasure:
3958315005_900cd5e1d7_o.jpg

From the top: Flightjacket.com, Wings and Things, Tipsy Gypsy, and generic foil stamped nametag. How I got all three types is a long and boring story that doesn't bear repeating. And no, I don't have them all sewn on my jacket. Only the top one.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Not that my opinion matters but if I were buying it would be Tipsy Gypsy or Wings and Things in that order.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not that my opinion matters but if I were buying it would be Tipsy Gypsy or Wings and Things in that order.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but the quality of those two sources is VERY close. The leather they're made on is a bit different. TG's has some different tones to it while W&Ts is darker. The wings on the TG are a tad more detailed and stamped deeper. What you can't see in my pic, is that on the TG one the name is grouped close to the middle of the tag, while the W&T tag the name is justified and fills almost the entire length of the tag. Both are great products. I think the TG nametag is going to go on my jacket to match the rest of the TG patches I'm going to put on it to replace the flightjacket.com ones.

3959408284_a3329f0cd8.jpg

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go for the layered look with the squadron patches. My new squadron's patch is smaller than the old one and might leave some holes in the leather showing. Haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm still trying to decide if I want to go for the layered look with the squadron patches. My new squadron's patch is smaller than the old one and might leave some holes in the leather showing. Haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

Are you talking about sewing one on top of the other? Interesting.

I've seen the regs, but is it uncommon to do velcro with the right breast so that the squadron patch can be changed more readily?