• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tipsy Gypsy Leather Patches

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are you talking about sewing one on top of the other? Interesting.

I've seen the regs, but is it uncommon to do velcro with the right breast so that the squadron patch can be changed more readily?

Yeah, just put the new one on top of the old one, leaving the rocker of the old one showing, so you get a bit of history. I've seen folks do it with their green jackets with embroidered patches.

I've seen a few folks do the velcro+leather patch, but I don't think it looks very good and I think it kind of defeats the whole point of getting a leather patch. The leather patches are stiff when they're new, but if sew them directly to the leather, they get real soft with wear and look real good. If you have a leather patch on velcro, it can't break in as well.

Most people will either sew the leather directly on or just not have anything on the right breast.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen a few folks do the velcro+leather patch, but I don't think it looks very good and I think it kind of defeats the whole point of getting a leather patch........Most people will either sew the leather directly on or just not have anything on the right breast.

Velcro on a leather patch on a leather flight jacket looks like crap, it is generally not done.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
My leather jacket came issued with a velcro patch already on it. It looks like garbage. I'm thinking a Tipsy Gypsy nametag and flag/navy jack might be a solid xmas present for myself. They look pretty awesome.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My leather jacket came issued with a velcro patch already on it. It looks like garbage. I'm thinking a Tipsy Gypsy nametag and flag/navy jack might be a solid xmas present for myself. They look pretty awesome.

....and maybe a new leather jacket :)

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen the green jacket with the layered patches, but is it common with the leather?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen the green jacket with the layered patches, but is it common with the leather?

No, of the scores of leather patches on leather jackets I have seen in person only one or two stacked their squadron patches and it didn't look all that good. I have given it a little thought but with my two leather squadron patches being different sizes, and the fact I dropped $30 on the one I would be covering 90% of, it would not only look funny but it would be a waste of money IMO.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Not that I've seen, but I'm kind of at a loss as to what else to do with it other than leave my fleet squadron patch on there or deal with some little holes around the edges of the new patch. The jury is still out.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm not putting a nametag on mine yet (being a stud and all), but I'm giving thought to throwing the flag on there so it doesn't look so virgin. What's the consensus? Leave it slick, or throw the flag on there?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Why would putting an American flag on anything you've been issued, where its already authorized, be gay?

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Why would putting an American flag on anything you've been issued, where its already authorized, be gay?

Poor choice of words on my part---not what I meant at all. I mean, if that's the only thing I'm going to put on there, should I just leave it virgin until winging? Just curious as to what the other studs are doing.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Poor choice of words on my part---not what I meant at all. I mean, if that's the only thing I'm going to put on there, should I just leave it virgin until winging? Just curious as to what the other studs are doing.

I left it virgin until I got my TG patches recently. Just wait until winging before you patch it up.... at least the patches will match at that point (ie: both TG, wings etc as opposed to mixing and matching).

That being said, DO NOT be afraid to wear it. If it's cold, just tease all the guys giving you shit and walk proudly into the squadron. They're idiots.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Along the lines of C420s question, any issue with Navy Jack instead of the regular flag?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Maybe because it is not authorized for wear with the leather jacket. The only two patches authrorized are a nametag on the left front and a command patch on the right front of the jacket. "No other patches are authorized", close to the bottom of the page (NMCI), on page 6-67 (non-NMCI).

With that said it is an oft broken rule, many of the guys who have the leather patches have a flag and a aircraft-specific on the shoulders, or a Top Gun patch if you are really cool. I have seen guys try and be sticklers about it and if someone wants to be a prick about it though cough*SWO's*cough the rules back them up.

Along the lines of C420s question, any issue with Navy Jack instead of the regular flag?

Usually not, it is quite common with those who have the leather patches, though I would leave it until you a bit saltier. Just remember it still is not legal, beware when in the vicinity of SWO's. ;)