• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tipsy Gypsy Leather Patches

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old Flight Jacket Etiquette

I left it virgin until I got my TG patches recently. Just wait until winging before you patch it up.... at least the patches will match at that point (ie: both TG, wings etc as opposed to mixing and matching).

That being said, DO NOT be afraid to wear it. If it's cold, just tease all the guys giving you shit and walk proudly into the squadron. They're idiots.

To start, keep in mind that I was winged 51 years ago & retired 35 years ago & I realize things have changed. This is how it was:
We were issued the leather jacket in primary about the time of first flight. NAVCADs were issued a leather nameplate with only name & NAVCAD USNR in gold print. SNA Officers tag with name, rank, service (USN, USNR, USMC) & Officers crest in gold.
Patches: 1 for your training squadron, 1 U.S. flag. Ex-enlisted could add patches for previous permanent command(s), ships, squadrons etc..
After winging & fleet assignment it was pretty open... unit patch, ship, CAG, centurion, Tailhook Assn., other specialty patches... for example we had a patch made up in style/color of a CHP Officer that read Laotian Highway Patrol! Neat stuff.:D
Warning: while legal, a JO (ENS, JG) with multi patches (all down front, back, both sleeves etc.} JUST LOOKS STUPID & UNCOOL! My big turnoff for TOP GUN the movie was Tom Cruise's flight jacket. Enough patches for a full career of squadrons & deployments!:eek:
For the rest of your life, KEEP YOUR FLIGHT JACKET SECURE. It is as hot a stealable item as any jewelry item or cash money you will ever own or carry.
For ex-Enlisted: If you earned a warfare specialty pin (Surface Warefare, Air Crewman, Submarine Dolphins etc.), wear it proudly on your uniform for the rest of your career. Once you are winged, you can still wear your specialty pin (only 1) beneath your ribbons/medals. I wore my hard-earned Sub Dolphins from NAVCAD to retirement & was never harrassed about it, but received many compliments over the years.
Wear this jacket with pride, it is a symbol of great achievement more than a uniform article (an added plus is... "on a cold day it, keeps you warm!");)
BzB:icon_smilThe Ancient Mariner

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Maybe because it is not authorized for wear with the leather jacket. The only two patches authrorized are a nametag on the left front and a command patch on the right front of the jacket.

That sounds like a dumb rule, and what do we do with the dumb ones? Correct, we ignore them. Sometimes you just gotta wonder what someone was thinking when they write these things.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sounds like a dumb rule, and what do we do with the dumb ones? Correct, we ignore them. Sometimes you just gotta wonder what someone was thinking when they write these things.

Just be aware of where you wear it, I have known guys who have been called out on it.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Just be aware of where you wear it, I have known guys who have been called out on it.

Did anybody you who was called out actually change their jacket or was it a "yeah, thanks buddy I'll be sure to change it first chance I get... dick"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did anybody you who was called out actually change their jacket or was it a "yeah, thanks buddy I'll be sure to change it first chance I get... dick"

There were a few who had to put them in the closet while the department head/boss who called them out was still in the command.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
What have you all done when you've been in multiple squadrons? I've not sewn on the leather patch from my last command for fear of it screwing up the leather when I remove it iot replace it with the patch of my next command. I figure velcro, but that just looks tardy.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
When I separated in 1968, USN took it all back…including sunglasses and flight jacket. :icon_rage

Flash forward to 01/31/95…VA-35 (A6’s) disestablishment ceremony at NAS Oceana…I was fortunate enough to attend, along with a few squadron mates from “back in the day” (A1’s).

One day, while we were regaling the current A6 guys in the ready room, I became vaguely aware of a JO selling raffle tickets…prize being a set of solid gold Aviator wings…or a brand new issue leather flight jacket. Wife advised she purchased six tickets, for $5.00 USD.

Drawing was held at the last day’s rather formal dinner…at one of the very nice downtown hotels.

So after dinner, while out in the lobby, having a smoke/talking with a Boston based DEA pilot (and former VA-35 pilot…whose DEA training officer also happened to be a guy I knew from “back in the day” in an A4 squadron)…we’re approached by an O-4 from VA-35, who was somewhat in charge of the festivities. He extended his hand to me, and informed me the winning ticket was ours (mine!) Needless to say, I graciously opted for the jacket…good Karma!

A USNR Supply Corp officer was present…at that time, he had a business selling US Military patches…out of Ohio, then moved to West Virginia…may still be around. Purchased all I needed…all my USN Squadrons, Stations, CAG’s, CVA’s, A/C, Centurion stuff, etc. Got the leather name tag/wing patch from a USN authorized dealer in Braintree MA…

Brought the whole kit and caboodle to a cobbler back home…St Augustine FL at the time. This guy turned out to be a USN veteran, (retired 20+ year storekeeper, IIRC). His USN assignment was tailor/cobbler!! He /we had a ball arranging patch placement, and he went to work…finished up a masterpiece!

He related to me he had it displayed in his window (while his store was open)…people (“poser’s”, I guess) were continually coming in, making large cash offers for my jacket…each one received a real bitchy lecture from him re what it took to wear that jacket.

Got to wear it quite a bit up in north Florida…but not so much down here in the Keys...a lot warmer! ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
What have you all done when you've been in multiple squadrons? I've not sewn on the leather patch from my last command for fear of it screwing up the leather when I remove it iot replace it with the patch of my next command. I figure velcro, but that just looks tardy.

Still trying to figure that one out myself...but the velcro'd leather patches look nasty.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Concur. That being said, I bet the current reg is a compromise. There's a small population of folks authorized to wear the jacket, and that fact that it's a controlled item makes it a more attractive item for micro-management. I know for a fact there is a faction who resents the jacket is an option for all designators across the board. To them I say: suffer.

I have a leather patch (Sikorsky 1000 hour patch) I would like to add. The other day at the tailor shop near Oceana I saw some jackets in work for some TACAIR guys with some very cool TG patches. YMMV depending on your command climate and if you have E6 and below aircrewmen. For what it's worth, I've attached a pic of some of TG's work. Hope he wouldn't mind....

Attachments

• TGsachrs.JPG
    TGsachrs.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 167

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Good excuse to get another jacket!

In reality, most guys just stick with one, even if it is from an old squadron.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wear this jacket with pride, it is a symbol of great achievement more than a uniform article (an added plus is... "on a cold day it, keeps you warm!");)
BzB:icon_smilThe An cient Mariner

My flight jacket (3rd one, wore out the first 2).
BzB

Attachments

• Flight Jacket - Front.jpg
    Flight Jacket - Front.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Flight Jacket - Back.jpg
    Flight Jacket - Back.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 209
  • Flight Jacket - R Sleeve.jpg
    Flight Jacket - R Sleeve.jpg
    767.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Flight Jacket - L Sleeve.jpg
    Flight Jacket - L Sleeve.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167

FLY_USMC

pilot
I personally think doing what a lot of the Navy guys do on their Nomex Jacket wouldn't be a bad idea....when you go to a new Squadron....just sew another patch on. The problem, you KNOW you as a Marine you would get shit for it. I'm not sure I have the balls to do it but the leather jacket looks so good with the right patches on it, it's almost a travesty not to at least try.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What have you all done when you've been in multiple squadrons? ...
You wear 'em all --- that's all the patches you've earned that YOU choose do display as they accumulate, as your flight jacket is supposed to represent a Naval Aviator's career history ... not just show a couple of years in time (i.e., be squadron specific) ... that concept is just bizarre.

Anyone who sez/thinks/regulates otherwise ... is simply WRONG. If anyone is stupid enough to 'question' the history that a flight jacket represents by virtue of the patches displayed -- tell 'em to shove it.

This never used to be a question ... never.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Though I'm a little ways from having any cool patches to sport on a jacket, most people seem to put the cruise patches, etc on their nomex. Nothing wrong in my eyes with a guy rocking a sleeve covered with Top Hook patches. :)

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Good excuse to get another jacket!

In reality, most guys just stick with one, even if it is from an old squadron.

Actually, I do have another jacket that I won in a raffle (similar to rondebmar). However, it's about 1/2 a size too small. Guess I need to ebay that sucker and buy a new one...I like the idea of sewing all my patches to my personal one.