• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tipsy Gypsy Leather Patches

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I think the NEX actually sells them. I have a vague memory of seeing wings pendants at the jewelry shop in the Big NEX at Norfolk.

Speaking of leather jackets, has anyone ever had theirs tailored? Mine was already a size too big when I got it (P'cola was out of my size and the next smaller), and since then there's now 15 lbs less of Fester to love. I'd hate to have to break in a new jacket, but it's so big now as to be almost comical.

Interested in a trade? I'm about 15 lbs heavier now than I was when I got mine and it barely fits! Can't really afford a new one and they'll never give me a replacement.

snake020

Contributor
Leather on leather stitching in NORVA area

Can anyone recommend a place that will sew leather patches onto leather jackets around Norfolk?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nancy Harbison

Can anyone recommend a place that will sew leather patches onto leather jackets around Norfolk?

Nancy Harbison (tailor shop) on backside of Lynnhaven Mall can do it all. They did all my Typsy Gypsy patches when I finally go tthem last year. Thye can also do custom ribbons, name tapes, embroidered custom patches, etc. Send me a PM if you need a better steer.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Nancy Harbison's is so good I actualy had some suits tailored there. They definitely know their stuff, and are very capable of custom work. Make sure they remove the jacket's lining before stitching in the patch, then restich it. Makes for a more professional job. Whidbey cleaners did this for mine, and it looks really good, except its a little too high...bastards.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
There is a tailor shop in the Midtown shopping center at the intersection of Granby and Little creek. (Same mall as Uncle Louie's) They sewed my leather patches onto my jacket with no problems.
It's right near NOB so if you're up there, it's an easy drive.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a tailor shop in the Midtown shopping center at the intersection of Granby and Little creek. (Same mall as Uncle Louie's) They sewed my leather patches onto my jacket with no problems.
It's right near NOB so if you're up there, it's an easy drive.

Uncle Louie's is also best place to eat in that entire area! It closed for awhile, which was a hearbreaker for a lot of regulars. If you want a decent setting and good eats near the base, there are not a lot of choices.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nancy Harbison's is so good I actualy had some suits tailored there. They definitely know their stuff, and are very capable of custom work. Make sure they remove the jacket's lining before stitching in the patch, then restich it. Makes for a more professional job.

Nancy was a widow of an EA-3 aviator and became the Naval Exchange Tailor upon his unfortunate demise. When Exchange downsized, she established the same capability off campus with same crew. She has passed away now as well, but not before creating a pretty unique shop near NAS Oceana. I went there when I needed new cuffs and waistband for my G-1 and kept going back for all my tailoring needs.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nancy was a widow of an EA-3 aviator and became the Naval Exchange Tailor upon his unfortunate demise. When Exchange downsized, she established the same capability off campus with same crew. She has passed away now as well, but not before creating a pretty unique shop near NAS Oceana. I went there when I needed new cuffs and waistband for my G-1 and kept going back for all my tailoring needs.

Concur. The place is great and they know military uniforms through and through. They even provide the gold striping for SDBs, know where to place them and ask no questions. Great embroidery for flight suits too.

Kathy is the POC there.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Miss Suki outside of Little Creek's Gate 5 did mine and they look great. They are located on the East side of Independence Blvd. just south of the Hwy. 13 overpass.