• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual MEGA Space Thread

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting article out today about the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission. Did not realize the coincidence that the accident that happened to Apollo 13 happened on April 13. Couple of other interesting things: the center engine of Stage 2 nearly had a catastrophic explosion, on a more humorous note, command module pilot Jack Swigert had forgotten to file his taxes and had to ask mission control to file a 60 day extension.

A view of the damaged Apollo 13 service module after separation.

The crew on board the USS Iwo Jimafollowing splashdown

Mission Control in Houston celebrates the safe return of the Apollo 13 crew. Gene Kranz is smoking a celebratory cigar at the right while Deke Slayton, in front of the mission patch, shakes hands.

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
Couple of other interesting things: the center engine of Stage 2 nearly had a catastrophic explosion, on a more humorous note, command module pilot Jack Swigert had forgotten to file his taxes and had to ask mission control to file a 60 day extension.
If my memory is correct, both of those were referenced in the movie.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Happened to catch this the other day.

Ocean Worlds in the Trappist-1 System
A new evaluation of a nearby star system’s potentially habitable water worlds.

(no word if this is the setting for a Kevin Costner sequel.)

The Trappist-1 system, shown here in an artist's conception, has seven known planets, but only three are thought to be habitable. (NASA/JPL-Caltech)

Both planets appear to have ended up covered by thick oceans and a potentially oxygen-rich atmosphere. In fact, the scientific team extrapolated that the ocean on Trappist-1g may be 670 kilometers deep!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Happened to catch part of “Moon Landing “ on BBC America- will have to go back and watch the whole episode. Here is a clip.

taxi1

pilot
Happened to catch this the other day.

Ocean Worlds in the Trappist-1 System
A new evaluation of a nearby star system’s potentially habitable water worlds.

(no word if this is the setting for a Kevin Costner sequel.)

View attachment 31885
The Trappist-1 system, shown here in an artist's conception, has seven known planets, but only three are thought to be habitable. (NASA/JPL-Caltech)

Both planets appear to have ended up covered by thick oceans and a potentially oxygen-rich atmosphere. In fact, the scientific team extrapolated that the ocean on Trappist-1g may be 670 kilometers deep!

I think with the James Webb telescope they'll be able to spectrographically sniff the planets, and detect signs of life. Going to be some wild science, if it doesn’t blow up on the pad.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think with the James Webb telescope they'll be able to spectrographically sniff the planets, and detect signs of life. Going to be some wild science, if it doesn’t blow up on the pad.

I'm more worried about the sunshield and mirror deployment.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
#justice4pluto

This reminds me of another important question, whatever happened to the Johns from Planet X?

(Where are we going? When are we going to get there?)

taxi1

pilot
Its been 15 years since Pluto was demoted.

Schrodinger’s Planet
Is Pluto a planet or not? It’s complicated.

Planet or not, it’s the coolest thing out there. Hard to believe it is smaller than our moon.

For that matter, moons Ganymede and Titan are both bigger than Mercury. Deceptive.