• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual MEGA Space Thread

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting article from www.space.com on Russia’s recent ASAT test.

Looks like quite a bit of debris in orbit that could cause headaches.

Russian anti-satellite missile test was the first of its kind
By Chelsea Gohd about 21 hours ago
The "Nudol" anti-ballistic missile system had not destroyed a target before.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Congratulations to NASA on the launching of the James Webb space telescope this morning. I am sure we are going to get some awe inspiring photos and fascinating information. Again, congrats!

taxi1

pilot
That’s why I was on-line at 0730 this morning. Big pucker factor.

I guess in two weeks all of the really super scary unfurlings and extendings will be done, and all that will be left is parking it and turning it on. At which time minds will be blown by its discoveries.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Some good stuff from NASA:

Since 2003, the black hole at the center of the Perseus galaxy cluster has been associated with sound. This is because astronomers discovered that pressure waves sent out by the black hole caused ripples in the cluster’s hot gas that could be translated into a note – one that humans cannot hear some 57 octaves below middle C. Now a new sonification brings more notes to this black hole sound machine. This new sonification – that is, the translation of astronomical data into sound – is being released for NASA’s Black Hole Week this year.

1661273044943.jpeg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is this a trick question?

I'd argue it's actually a tough one to answer. Just look at between 1989 and 2000. Starfleet had at least 3 different major uniform changes.

Wait, you're right. That's nothing compared to the Navy.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Paging Bruce Willis…

New evidence suggests the world’s largest known asteroid impact structure is buried deep in southeast Australia

The Deniliquin structure, yet to be further tested by drilling, spans up to 520 kilometres in diameter. This exceeds the size of the near-300km-wide Vredefort impact structure in South Africa, which to date has been considered the world’s largest.

it may have triggered what’s called the Hirnantian glaciation stage, which lasted between 445.2 and 443.8 million years ago, and is also defined as the Ordovician-Silurian extinction event.

This huge glaciation and mass extinction event eliminated about 85% of the planet’s species. It was more than double the scale of the Chicxulub impact that killed off the dinosaurs.

1691856238281.png