• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Perpetual MEGA Space Thread

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
First 'space helicopter' set to take to Martian skies
Dubbed "Ingenuity," the drone weighs just 4 pounds, and it will stay stored beneath the rover’s belly while Perseverance runs through its initial surface checks and experiments.

I think I saw earlier the density altitude at the surface of Mars is equivalent to 100,000 ft on Earth.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Dubbed "Ingenuity," the drone weighs just 4 pounds...

I think I saw earlier the density altitude at the surface of Mars is equivalent to 100,000 ft on Earth.
It'll weight about 1½ pounds on Mars. Plus the gas properties of cold carbon monoxide means that the reynolds number on the rotor blades should be higher, which would improve L/D and rotor system performance ever so slightly. 100,000 feet DA should be no problem!

taxi1

pilot
It'll weight about 1½ pounds on Mars. Plus the gas properties of cold carbon monoxide means that the reynolds number on the rotor blades should be higher, which would improve L/D and rotor system performance ever so slightly. 100,000 feet DA should be no problem!
I work occasionally with the Penn state guy who is developing the rotorcraft that will fly on Titan. The gravity is about 1/8th of here, but the pressure is about 50% higher and the air denser than on Earth at sea level. A drone designer's dream.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I hear they are filming it on the same sound stage as the so-called “moon walk.” ??
?

tenor.gif

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Great article in the NYT about Saturn’s moon Titan, which is the only other object in the solar system to have liquid on the surface (methane). Also, the largest lake (bigger than all 5 of the Great Lakes combined) is named “Kraken Mare.”