• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Prashant Patel

My entire class (API 32-05) got leather jackets at the end of API with no problems (this was around the end of June). Once again, timing is key.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
paddle562 said:
My entire class (API 32-05) got leather jackets at the end of API with no problems (this was around the end of June). Once again, timing is key.

Then you can all go to hell, since I had to wait for mine.

zuggerat

Blutonski816 said:
well, maybe if you're Maxwell Smart, but that was his phone...

2bf9049f.jpg

completely forgot about that show... ahhh blockparty summer how i miss you so.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
I almost forgot about this, but (as promised) I'm reporting back that good ol' Keith did send out my leather jacket when he said he would and I received it here in Kingsville.

Now my next question... Can anyone recommend a good place near Corpus/Kingsville to have my velcro sewn on for my name patch?

The paraloft guys do a fine job with the green bags, but I've heard that it is worth finding a good place (like the place out the front gate of NAS P'Cola) to do the leather jacket since it is a one-shot deal when sewing holes into leather.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
more interesting AF factoids

When I was a ROTC kid in college, I did 6 weeks with the AF at Holloman AFB, NM at with a LIFT squadron, lead in fighter training. The way they explained their flight syllabus to me was they did their equivalent of primary in the T37 (tweet, I think) and then some version of intermediates in the T38 (the talon), then they got winged. After that, they went to their platform specific training (ie I was with the fast movers at Lead In Fighter Training in T38s), and then they learn how to fly their operational aircraft. Don't know how they worked helo's into that equation.

Have no idea when they got their leather jackets as NM in July was way too hot to even think about wearing them.

This was many moons ago, but it was a very interesting summer.

Rugger

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
It's not about wearing them, so much as it is mocking those who the supply system have overlooked. Isn't that right sivers? What'd you wind up getting anyway?

East

东部
Contributor
USN supplied G-1 Flight Jackets

Does the USN still supply the Leather G-1 Flight Jacket to their Flight Crews?
In my career as RNLN P-3 F/E, I saw a lot of USN P-3 crewmembers wearing them but in the jet community Aviators were wearing the CWU-45/P jackets.
Are they comfortable, and what's the story behind a leather jacket as CWU's were supplied as well? :confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nkawtg said:
Does the USN still supply the Leather G-1 Flight Jacket to their Flight Crews?
In my career as RNLN P-3 F/E, I saw a lot of USN P-3 crewmembers wearing them but in the jet community Aviators were wearing the CWU-45/P jackets.
Are they comfortable, and what's the story behind a leather jacket as CWU's were supplied as well? :confused:
Everyone gets both types, but you can't wear a leather jacket in the jet, so most jet guys will wear the nomex jacket.

Brett

East

东部
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Everyone gets both types, but you can't wear a leather jacket in the jet, so most jet guys will wear the nomex jacket.

Brett
You can't wear the jacket in a jet or are not allowed?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not allowed, but I would be hard pressed to think that you'd want that under your torso harness.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most guys wear the nomex jackets over their flight gear. Unless it's really cold, I usually take mine off before I strap in and stuff it somewhere in the cockpit.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I wear mine at the hangar sometimes (more often now in khakis on the shore tour), but I can't climb in/out of the plane without kicking my own a$$ and snagging the sleeve/leg of my bag on something. Can't imagine the hell it'd inflict on the leather jacket. Generally Nomex only on the boat for me...

Scab

pilot
Concur with all above. I only wear the Leather flight jacket on deck in a flight suit, khaki's (almost never wear those) or Service Dress Aviator. I've never worn the nomex in the cockpit though (too bulky). If its to keep warm where you're flying, I recommend buying some silks (not nearly as bulky or uncomfortable as the cotton thermals). Bought 3 pairs (you can get top and bottom online for about $30 or so) for flying in the NW. Same protection wet as wool and much less bulky than anything else but possibly polyester and other man made materials, and, as they're a natural fiber, they don't melt; which is obviosly very bad.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I usually save the leather for khakis (if I am wearing them, life is not good) or if it's rediculously cold. I never wear it in the plane though. It's tight enough getting through the front of the plane without snagging something on a hydraulic line or something. But yeah, if you're lucky, they'll supply you your leather while you are in flight school. However, when I went through (last year), they were "all out" and didn't give them to you. My skipper at the rag had to fight to get my class all of their leather. Don't know if that's still the case. Just FYI.