• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
OK, this may be a dumb question, but I was issued the jackets this spring and haven't had a chance to wear them yet or see anyone else wear them. Are there any regulations that you can only wear the Nomex jacket with a flight suit, and the leather one with khakis? Or do people just tend to do that because it looks better?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TrunkMonkey said:
OK, this may be a dumb question, but I was issued the jackets this spring and haven't had a chance to wear them yet or see anyone else wear them. Are there any regulations that you can only wear the Nomex jacket with a flight suit, and the leather one with khakis? Or do people just tend to do that because it looks better?

There are several threads on this, as well as the Pers instructions website. However, in an effort to be a kindler and gentler mod, and give hugs to everyone who needs it, here's one hit on a quick search...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8926&highlight=nomex

ip568

None
Old School

l_jacket_front.jpg

n_jacket_back.JPG

Used to be able to wear either.

East

东部
Contributor
Nice

Nice Jackets!
Anymore pics of Flight Jackets outthere...??
Keep them posted!

In the RNLAF we're only allowed to wear:
-Nametag (left chest)
-Squadron Patch (right chest)
-A/C type Patch (right shoulder)
-Misc Patch or National Flag (left shoulder)

That's for flightsuit and CWU, but hey...we are not the "Top Guns"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Technically you are only allowed to wear a squadron logo and nametag on your leather jacket. Possibly the most ignored uniform reg in the navy.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen guys wear the Nomex Flight Jacket with CNT Khakis, but that's a NO-NO. Nomex Flight Jacket is acceptable in working uniforms ONLY (ie: Flight Suit & Wash Khakis). The Leather Jacket can be worn with most uniforms (ie: Wash or CNT Khakis, Flight Suit).

As for patches, My Nomex jacket is "Fleeted" out with an assortment of patches. My leather has my Leather Nametag & SQDN patch (from Tipsy Gypsy ). Sweet & professional looking!!
ea6bflyr

East

东部
Contributor
If possible, pls add a picture of your Nomex with all your patches...
If anyone else is willing to do that, pls don't hesitate!
I love those jackets which are showing these outstanding experiences!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
l_jacket_front.jpg

n_jacket_back.JPG

Used to be able to wear either.

In my fleet squadron we'd call that jacket a "Winnebago"...ever seen the back of an RV covered with stickers? :D But still very cool. :)
I would recommend getting a size larger for your nomex jackets (summer and winter weight). That way you can actually wear it to man up in inclement weather (rain snow). I used to fly with mine worn over my flight gear. I just pulled the shoulder part back enough to connect the upper koch fittings.

r/
G

East

东部
Contributor
USN G-1 Leather Flight Jacket

I am considering buying a used USN Leather Flight Jacket but I am not sure about the size. Flightsuit is sz 46, would anyone suggest what kind of sz I should look for? It's just for casual use on the civvies and I am chasing e-bay for that. Genuine 60-70's Gov/supplied Jacket for about $200.= to $250.= sounds as a reasonable price, doesn't it?

Pls advice

rare21

pilot
Contributor
i was told to get about 2 sizes larger than you usually wear so I did that. I also got lucky and found one at a thrift shop in Pensacola for 10 bucks. Sold it on ebay for 100.