• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
I've seen guys wear the Nomex Flight Jacket with CNT Khakis, but that's a NO-NO. Nomex Flight Jacket is acceptable in working uniforms ONLY (ie: Flight Suit & Wash Khakis). The Leather Jacket can be worn with most uniforms (ie: Wash or CNT Khakis, Flight Suit).

It's too bad, cause I think it looks cool. Seen peopel do it regardless too.

Who the hell wears CNT? Poly-wool is the way to go. Come to think of it, not wearing khakis at all is the way to go. :)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
*shudders* Uggghhh...
I can feel the horrible itchiness even now...

Never had that problem... or am I wearing poly-cotton? Crap, I dont' know anymore, I haven't worn my khakis since February.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Bottom line don't wear your leather jacket in the cockpit -save it for airshows, friday nights at the O-club, and FOD walkdown when you happen to be wearing kahkis at the same time :)

East

东部
Contributor
Thanx ea6bflyr

Thanx for showing pics of your flight jackets! The real stuff!
Is this a NFO thing or do Naval Aviators do this as well?

As these NOMEX jackets are green for a reason, what are you supposed to do when you're ejected over hostile territory with all the colourfull sewn-on patches on your jacket. That's why the Air Force become major shareholder of the VELCRO company..haha! Are these jackets allowed by the Navy on actual combat missions or not? (I know about "technically-allowed" only wearing nametag an sqn patches).

Are there are more pics of "Winnebago's" out there...????
Please keep them posted!!!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Patches are a universal Aviator thing --- i.e., anyone participating in Aviation. Naval Aviators, NFO's, Aircrew, etc.,etc.

You don't wear your Nomex jacket on a combat hop --- unless we start going after Eskimos or Laplanders --- and then if you go down, it won't matter anyway because you will freeze and die long before the Eskimos come over to rub your nose. :)

Suggestion: keep your leather jacket relatively pristine and "virgin" and load up the Nomex's with patches ..... years from now you will be glad you did it that way.

East

东部
Contributor
How about combat air patrols over the Baltic? Cold enough for a jacket in wintertime...
A4s: Can you show me your jacket, as a rusty aviator yours must be loaded!

p.s. Don't make me pay for it... :icon_mi_4

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All aviators SANITIZE before getting green ink in the Flight Log. If it's that danged cold, you'll probably be wearing long-johns, or worse yet a DRY SUIT. You normally get two green Nomex flight jackets (Winter and Summer). I concur with A4, keep your Leather one in good shape with minimal patches. You can dress up your summer jacket and use your winter one for those combat hops.
ea6bflyr

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Suggestion: keep your leather jacket relatively pristine and "virgin" and load up the Nomex's with patches ..... years from now you will be glad you did it that way.

Take a nice leather jacket and ruin it with a bunch of patches that wear out 30 years before the jacket will. Never understood why people would do that!

East

东部
Contributor
Leather jackets only for USN Air Crews?

Is the leather flight jacket only avail/allowed for Flight Crews, or are they also avail for other officers? Sometimes I see USN officers wearing one but don't see any wings on their chest. Does that mean that they are non-Flight Crew or haven't they just bothered to sew them on. Is it prestige to wear the wings once earned, or just keeping the jacket prestine?
Haven't looked at their shoes which colour they were...

East

东部
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Maybe they are SNAs.

No USN SNA's in The Netherlands...not anymore though as the GOVERNMENT sold our P-3C's to the GERMAN and Potugese Armed Forces.

I understand the Leather Flight Jacket is a Naval Aviation-thing and not a Navy thing. SWO's don't have the need for leathers, I guess. I know Officer- paratroopers in WWII got also the A-2 leather flight jacket, just like the USAAF pilots, that's why I thought it was a service thing.

East

东部
Contributor
Leather or cloth nametags on the leather G-1 Flight Jacket?

Is there anyone wearing a cloth nametag on their Leather Flight Jacket or is that a BiG NO-NO........ :confused: ?
Pls advice.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would assume they just didn't bother to sew them on. Supposedly in the past, the leather jacket became a bargaining tool for many a drug deal, but now they keep a ridiculously tight lid on issuing them. Aviators/Aircrew only. Heck, I'm an SNA and I've been waiting over a year for mine right now. I think the supply folks down at Pensacola just like to screw with people . . .:icon_rage

I would assume you could wear a cloth nametag if you wanted to, but as I said before, why would you want to put something on it that's going to wear out and look nasty? Lots of people don't even put a nametag/squadron patch on their jacket to avoid filling it full of holes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
nkawtg said:
Is the leather flight jacket only avail/allowed for Flight Crews, or are they also avail for other officers? Sometimes I see USN officers wearing one but don't see any wings on their chest. Does that mean that they are non-Flight Crew or haven't they just bothered to sew them on. Is it prestige to wear the wings once earned, or just keeping the jacket prestine?
Haven't looked at their shoes which colour they were...
Most guys in my experience put at least a leather name tag w/wings on the leather jacket and an American flag on the shoulder --- later I found that a good idea was to do the name tag with a firm velcro backing as I got promoted --- made it easier on the PR's and the jacket.

Non-Aviators sporting the USN G-1 flight jacket usually means they have a good comshaw artist supply officer or chief.