• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
I've called just about every month since I finished API and then every other week for the last 3 months and I was finally told that mine will be mailed out next week! I think that if you keep pestering them (at least to the point where they recognize your name) you have a better chance.

It should be noted that it has been over a year since I've been out of API (class 0425).

FYI, when you do call, have the following info ready for them:

1. Jacket Size
2. API class #
3. Your full official military mailing address. No PO Boxes.

According to them, I will get it in about a week. I'll report back if this does in fact turn out to be true.

Oh yeah, and I'm in sweaty-ball Texas. No one really gets the leather jacket because they need it, it's all about the looks! Plus, I believe the longer you wait, the less of a chance you ever have of getting one. I had all but given up hope until today...

ip568

None
The irony is that 95% of the time you'll wear your green Nomex flight jacket instead. The leather ones look cool but are impractical.

Does anyone know if you can wear flight jackets with your khaki uniform off base anymore? This went round and round while I was flying. For some reason the Navy had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to even accept flight suits as uniforms. Until recently you could not wear them off base.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not sure which jacket you meant ip, but the last iteration of the instruction was Leather is okay w/ everything (except whites), including civies. Green is okay w/ bags and wash khakis, but not CNTs (or whatever they're called now). Since you can wear your flight suit in town at appropriate times (meetings where attire is appropirate, buying diapers, buying gas, etc), then I guess you could reason that the green jacket would be okay then, also. But that might make too much sense.

Britairgal

My hubby got his leather jacket mid API in Feb...but he is 6ft 4in and they only had the bigger sizes....and the tiney tiny ones...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
...Leather is okay w/ everything (except whites), including civies.

hahaha, I gotta tell ya, I actually saw a TON of VQ types in Whidbey sporting the leather and whites...ridiculous. Before anyone accuses me of being a hater (which I am), they all had the VQ patch on.

Leather jacket and civvies? That's kosher? I'd heard it was ok with no insignia, nametag off...any amplifying info? Before I patched mine out, I only had a removable nametag on it, which made it good for a bingo bag jacket (only have to carry one for short dets).

Side note: waayyyyy back in the day...it was just as hard to get the jacket. I got issued one that was WAY too big, and went to the supply office across the street from the HM squadron in Corpus (who knows if it's still there...) Anyway, they hooked me up within a month. Maybe it was just because I had one to trade...I dunno, just throwing out ideas.

Also, keep in mind, your Fleet squadron can/should/will help you get all that stuff you're lacking, pretty darn quick too. Don't be an a$s when you show up, and be cool to the SKC and AMDOs and they'll help you out. (Remember to hook THEM up when it comes time for cross countries, whether it's a ride someplace or a case of their favorite regional-only microbrew).

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I left Pensacola at the beginning of the month... at that time they were giving them out to all the guys who had orders out of the area. I think only one or two guys out of my API class who were headed to Corpus/Vance/Moody didn't get a leather jacket.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmm, maybe you can wear it w/ whites. I'd go look it up, but to be honest, I don't care and I'm too lazy. Also bear in mind this was what the instruction says, not what actually happens. ;)

Yeah, you're right, you have to remove the name tag, but then it's okay. I'm sure if it's patched up, it's against the rules.

THRILLER

Do us AF guys go through the same process for ordering the Leathers while at API? I'm not sure if the AF even gives us Leathers until after we are further along in our career...anyone know?

Peace,

THRILLER

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
So much bad gouge out there. From the Uniform Regulations:

(2) Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, Aerospace Experimental Psychologists, and Aerospace Physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket
with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue coveralls. If wearing Aviation Working Green, the option is provided to wear either the flight jacket or the
green uniform blouse. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki, Working Khaki, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue, Aviation Working Green and Navy blue
coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Utilities, Winter Blue, Winter Working Blue and Navy blue coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy blue coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn.

Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in <OPNAVINST 10126.4B>.

(a) Brown Jacket Insignia/Patches.
Insignia/patches shall be worn on brown leather flight jackets as follows:

(1) Attachments. Logos may be affixed either hook and pile or directly to the jacket. Hook and pile fasteners will be black or brown and cut to the shape of the logo to be affixed.

(2) Left Breast. Black or brown 2 inches by 4 inches leather name tag. Centered in the top field will be the aircrew designation insignia (i.e., pilot, NFO aircrew EAWS, etc.). The name in block letters will occupy the lower field and will include a minimum first name or initial and last name. Where appropriate, billet title (ie., CO, XO, CAG, etc.) is optional.

(3) Optional Logos. One command patch may be worn over the right breast pocket. Maximum width may not exceed 4-1/2 inches. No other patches are
authorized.

That means NO leather jackets with Summer Whites, Service Dress Blues or civvies. I am not saying it isn't done, just that it is not regulation. For example, nomex jackets are not authorized with Summer Khaki, only Working Khaki, bot that does not prevent people from wearing them. Also, max of four patches on the nomex jackets. Like anyone other than the AF follows that rule. :icon_wink

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the Uniform Regs, Steve. Gee ... I guess the bottom line is: nothing has changed in 36 years. What do you want to bet it's never changed?

What a suprise ..... :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmmm, maybe that's the latest version of the regs. At some point, somewhere (don't remember if it was in Organizational clothing or the regular uniform section), it specifically said you could wear the Leather w/ civies.

Thanks for looking it up. Like I said, I just didn't care enough to actually take the time to type www.bupers.navy.mil, or whatever their ever changing address is now.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'm fairly certain I read it somewhere the same as you and I'm almost certain it was on here that someone posted the regs. I'll look later.

Pags

N/A
pilot
it also says nothing about the patches having to be leather...and it says you can only wear a squadron patch in addition to the name tag...no flags or airframe patches...

I had always heard regs were much looser with the nomex jacket because you only wore it in squadron spaces so you're around fewer people who would care about the jacket being covered with patches.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Marine Corps Regs

For all my fellow Jarheads out there:

MCO P1020.34
The flight jacket may be worn with the service uniform by only those Marines properly issued and required to maintain an authorized flight jacket according to existing regulations. The flight jacket may be worn with the service "B," "C," and service with sweater uniforms. These uniform combinations will only be worn on base, or while traveling in a private/government vehicle between local military facilities, or to and from a domicile. While traveling outside a military installation no stops are permitted. The jacket will not be worn when the service "A" uniform is considered more appropriate, nor will it be worn on leave or liberty, or with the utility uniform or civilian clothing. When the flight jacket is worn with the service uniform, only one unit/squadron (CNO/CMC approved) patch may be worn. The patch, if worn, will be on the right front of the jacket, level with the nametape on the left side.
This actually applies for all flight jackets (leather or nomex).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just my two cents; I think the flight jacket regs are probably the most widely ignored portion of the uniform regs . . .