• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Hey Everybody,

This question may have already been answered in this thread, but its like 98 pages long, so I'll just ask. I'm thinking about finally putting patches on my leather flight jacket, at Wings and Things, Pcola. Does anyone recommend Velcro over those permanent rubber patches? and should I get the pockets modified? I'm leaning towards the Velcro, that way I can switch between my current squadron patch to a legacy one for Fridays or something. Any thoughts? Also, when's this covid shit gunna end? Am I right?!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Hey Everybody,

This question may have already been answered in this thread, but its like 98 pages long, so I'll just ask. I'm thinking about finally putting patches on my leather flight jacket, at Wings and Things, Pcola. Does anyone recommend Velcro over those permanent rubber patches? and should I get the pockets modified? I'm leaning towards the Velcro, that way I can switch between my current squadron patch to a legacy one for Fridays or something. Any thoughts? Also, when's this covid shit gunna end? Am I right?!

Not sure which “rubber” patches you’re referring to, but 99% of aviators I see have a permanent leather patch sewn on to each spot on their jacket. The trick is to not put your rank on your nametag therefore it’s always valid as you promote. The squadron is really up to you. We have DHs who have their JO tour patch on theirs and are now in an entirely different squadron. I’ve never seen anybody bat an eye at that.

Nobody is stopping you from getting Velcro either, but in my opinion it doesn’t look nearly as cool. Also, go with Tipsy gypsy for your patches, not wings and things. Tipsy gypsy is navy-renown for their quality work on aviator patches.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The PVC with velcro are nice for the "plastic" jackets. For leather, the TG guys are spot on.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Not sure which “rubber” patches you’re referring to, but 99% of aviators I see have a permanent leather patch sewn on to each spot on their jacket. The trick is to not put your rank on your nametag therefore it’s always valid as you promote. The squadron is really up to you. We have DHs who have their JO tour patch on theirs and are now in an entirely different squadron. I’ve never seen anybody bat an eye at that.

Nobody is stopping you from getting Velcro either, but in my opinion it doesn’t look nearly as cool. Also, go with Tipsy gypsy for your patches, not wings and things. Tipsy gypsy is navy-renown for their quality work on aviator patches.

This x 1000.

@SpankenStein . No velcro on your leather. Recommend leather name tags with wings, one line of Full Name, second line United States Navy, no rank. Unless Wings and Things has considerably upped their game in the last few years, stick with Tipsy Gypsy. Squadron patch, either leave it slick, JO tour, or stacking. Never saw anyone get shit for having their JO squadron when they were in their IP tour/Super JO/DH/etc. People get the leather is a thing to keep nice and velcro is definitely not nice. If by pocket mod you mean the side entry pockets, then yes, that's awesome and makes the jacket infinitely more wearable in winter by keeping your hands warm, plus a bonus that it drives the goat locker bananas.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I got my squadron patch from flightjacket.com because I actually like it better than TGs representation. Quality is nearly as good, but still very nice.
Name tag is TG or bust IMHO.