• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I get not wanting a name tag to be seen on without wings since it’ll permanently imprint the leather. And I also think it’s dumb and unnecessary to require a name tag in order to wear it when not every issued jacket has one itself. Hope it’s clarified down the road.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@Waveoff @robav8r

1. I wouldn’t get in the chief’s chili about the enlisted AWs unless they were violating a reg. To me, this is an interpretation of ambiguous language. There’s always a crutch of “well don’t get it tagged until you’re qualled with wings”, which I agree with on something as precious as that jacket
  2. It only prescribes how patches shall be worn, not that they shall be worn/are a requirement in order to wear.
  3. I openly violate the regs with a Navy Jack and I’ll never apologize for ‘Murica

Brown Leather Jacket. Naval aviators, pilots, flight officers, undergraduate pilots, NFOs, and flight surgeons, aerospace experimental psychologists, and aerospace physiologists may wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted air crewmen, E7-E9, are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Khaki and Navy Blue Coveralls. Eligible enlisted aircrewmen E6 and below are authorized to wear the leather flight jacket with flight suits, Service Uniform (SU), and Navy Blue Coveralls. Only direct point to point transit is appropriate when the flight jacket is worn to and from work with working uniforms (excluding Navy Blue Coveralls, which may be worn in immediate working spaces only). Close zipper at least 3/4 of the way when worn. Management and control of leather flight jackets are outlined in <OPNAVINST 10126.4 series>.

(a) Brown Jacket Insignia/Patches. Insignia/patches shall be worn on brown leather flight jackets as follows:

(1) Attachments. Logos may be affixed either hook and pile or directly to the jacket. Hook and pile fasteners will be black or brown and cut to the shape of the logo to be affixed.

(2) Left Breast. Black or brown 2 inches by 4 inches leather name tag. Centered in the top field will be the aircrew designation insignia (i.e., pilot, NFO aircrew EAWS, etc.). The name in block letters will occupy the lower field and will include a minimum first name or initial and last name. Where appropriate, billet title (i.e., CO, XO, CAG, etc.) is optional.

(3) Optional Logos. One command patch may be worn over the right breast pocket. Maximum width may not exceed 4-1/2 inches. No other patches are authorized.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
that’s the reg I was referencing, and the word flow of “patches shall be worn as follows: left breast name tag yada yada // right breast: optional” is ambiguous.

Then again, if they would just finally issue me or order a damn Massif jacket I would stop being bitter. The real enemy are these awful cardboard material CWU jackets they issue in API/NIFE.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Then again, if they would just finally issue me or order a damn Massif jacket I would stop being bitter. The real enemy are these awful cardboard material CWU jackets they issue in API/NIFE.
The winter weight CWU-45 is cut a little longer and bigger (just a little) and washes great - softens up after 2-3 washes.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
For my CWU36, I have an XXL for the arm length, but only need a large in the chest. The arms still aren’t long enough and I look like a 6 foot mushroom.

robav8r

None
Contributor
@Waveoff @robav8r

1. I wouldn’t get in the chief’s chili about the enlisted AWs unless they were violating a reg. To me, this is an interpretation of ambiguous language. There’s always a crutch of “well don’t get it tagged until you’re qualled with wings”, which I agree with on something as precious as that jacket.
I understand your point. I was an enlisted AW for 15 years and saw lots of CPO overreach on this topic. The regs are the regs, period. There isn't a tailored set of rules just for the local Chiefs mess . . .

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was in flight school any stud that flew wearing a flight jacket was thoroughly ridiculed. Don't know if it was different for the pilot students at Whiting.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I wore it infrequently when flying phrogs but stopped as soon as I got a massif jacket which was much more practical

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Helo world: Nomex under the gear, a few times, but didn't like it. More preferred the fleece stuff under the flight suit for ease of movement/lack of bulk. Nomex or massif over the gear when preflighting. AWs in the back wore way more layers but were much more in the wind than we were in the front. No doors off experience, but I'm sure that would've changed my mind.

T-6 world: the very few months needed, jacket over the gear when preflighting. Would hate to wear a g-suit with any jacket.

Leather jacket: For khakis or office time with flight suit only, didn't want to get it fucked up with JP-5, oil, hyd fluid, etc.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should have specified, that was 1979-80. Only flight jacket for studs at that time was the leather G1. Later in VS land no one wore a jacket flying. Didn't even wear it during preflight on the flight deck during NORPAC in April.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In the civvy world I wear my G1 or Massif all the time when it is cold. Of course, I have no real gear to worry about so it is easy. Besides, people think you look cool...even when you are old and round like me!

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
In VP land, I’ve worn it a few times. The new issue CWU jackets are made of cardboard and I haven’t been given a Massif jacket yet.

the most I could get it dirty/soiled in the P8 is by spilling my lunch on it if we hit turbulence when I’m walking back from the oven.

joe dirt

pilot
I’ve worn my leather a few times in the Cobra...I bring it with me regularly, but usually stuff it in the tailboom. It definitely restricts movement when worn under the flight vest. I actually had a small electrical fire in the back seat (where all the breakers are located) while wearing it and had a nightmare of a time working through the EP.

I started wearing my G-1 pretty early in my first fleet tour and got all kinds of crap for wearing it. I never really cared, and just wore it more because people seemed to be annoyed by it.