• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Pags

N/A
pilot
What are liberty cuffs?

Old school sailor liberty uniform adornment. I think they primarily an asiatic fleet thing back when wearing a uniform on liberty was a requirement. To stand out and have some individuality Sailors would have designs sewn on the inside of cuffs of their sleeve and then turn them out so the designs could be seen once they were away from Mom. Designs were typical sailor fare like dragons, serpents, mermaids, etc. Liberty cuffs were also apparently strictly forbidden so you had to get a good tailor who could see them on so that the Chief couldn't tell they were there. Steve McQueen has some in Sand Pebbles (@robav8r provided the shot above).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old school sailor liberty uniform adornment. I think they primarily an asiatic fleet thing back when wearing a uniform on liberty was a requirement. To stand out and have some individuality Sailors would have designs sewn on the inside of cuffs of their sleeve and then turn them out so the designs could be seen once they were away from Mom. Designs were typical sailor fare like dragons, serpents, mermaids, etc. Liberty cuffs were also apparently strictly forbidden so you had to get a good tailor who could see them on so that the Chief couldn't tell they were there. Steve McQueen has some in Sand Pebbles (@robav8r provided the shot above).
Ahh. Don't remember the term, but do remember seeing it on some salty senior POs in the 80s, Pacific Fleet.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Side question, anyone know a good place in Pensacola to repair the wrist cuffs (both of mine have gotten torn over the years)? Wings n things out the front gate does not replace those...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Side question, anyone know a good place in Pensacola to repair the wrist cuffs (both of mine have gotten torn over the years)? Wings n things out the front gate does not replace those...
Not sure about Pcola, but I used this place: https://www.uswings.com. You have to ship your jacket, but it is a relatively quick turn.

Had my cuffs and waist replaced on my jacket. Very good quality. They also do a great job of sewing on leather patches, conditioning the leather, as well as interior lining replacement.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not sure about Pcola, but I used this place: https://www.uswings.com. You have to ship your jacket, but it is a relatively quick turn.

Had my cuffs and waist replaced on my jacket. Very good quality. They also do a great job of sewing on leather patches, conditioning the leather, as well as interior lining replacement.
I had mine done here…they did a good job.