• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I dunno man, I have both and I prefer the fleece. Warmer, softer, and doesn’t have the annoying ‘swish’ sound when you walk.

I think it all depends on the environment. On a chilly morning, the fleece is nice and toasty, but on a windy cold day, the Massif cuts the wind better and is warmer. The Massif also lasts a couple minutes longer in the rain than the fleece does if you end up getting caught in it. Obviously neither work as well as the Gore-tex part of the kit.

For a "regular" style of jacket, I always found the winter-weight Nomex jacket to be the warmest and most resilient in cold wind. I would always wear that when walking across the NSE flight line when the cold fronts would come through and the wind chill would be below freezing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I dunno man, I have both and I prefer the fleece. Warmer, softer, and doesn’t have the annoying ‘swish’ sound when you walk.

Maybe I guess. I was a Norfolk fleet guy and the wind quickly cut through the fleece to the point it was worthless to me. I gave mine to an old on-wing as a winging gift since I'll never wear it again.

@bunny_0329 I get it. You might want to call surplus stores in Norfolk/Jax/SanDiego. You'd be surprised what they have. Same for Navy thrift shops.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The sole exception I've seen to this rule is if you end up buying an upgraded leather jacket or an "old school" nomex green jacket, but either way I'd wait until you're in the fleet.

Do they not issue those anymore?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My nuggets, if they got them, got a similar looking version, but it looks like it's more canvas material. It's a little heavier I think and it's not a shiny material; it is matte like canvas.

Oh yeah, I think I've seen those. Not as cool looking as the OG ones, I wonder how they compare.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Oh yeah, I think I've seen those. Not as cool looking as the OG ones, I wonder how they compare.
They’re ok. Don’t block the wind super well and they tend to get these weird fuzzy nugs stuck on them. And the pockets rip off pretty easily with any regular use.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
They’re ok. Don’t block the wind super well and they tend to get these weird fuzzy nugs stuck on them. And the pockets rip off pretty easily with any regular use.
Bring back the G-8 WEP! Comfortable, blocked the wind, and was light enough to ball up and fit in a helmet bag. I got one simply because there was one in my size and they needed it out of the supply locker (never got the “summer weight” CWU-36). I never really tested mine out on the real world but liked it puttering around in the -57.

Last edited:

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Bring back the G-8 WEP! Comfortable, blocked the wind, and was light enough to ball up and fit in a helmet bag. I got one simply because there was one in my size and they needed it out of the supply locker (never got the “summer weight” CWU-36). I never really tested mine out on the real world but liked it puttering around in the -57.
Some IPs here in the HTs still rock that one. It’s very nice as well.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I love my Navy leather flight jacket, but I have to say, when it comes to wearable-in-the-aircraft jackets and cold weather gear, the Army does it right. Who doesn't want some of this smoking jacketesque goodness?(see pic)

But seriously, I have a heavy weight nomex jacket, an ACU pattern fleece jacket, OCP fleece jacket, a light weight and heavy weight nomex/fleece FREE jacket and pants, and gortex pants and jacket. AND of course the vest pictured below.
FREE Vest.jpg
Camping and operating out of an assembly area in inclement weather is REAL for the Army.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love my Navy leather flight jacket, but I have to say, when it comes to wearable-in-the-aircraft jackets and cold weather gear, the Army does it right. Who doesn't want some of this smoking jacketesque goodness?(see pic)

But seriously, I have a heavy weight nomex jacket, an ACU pattern fleece jacket, OCP fleece jacket, a light weight and heavy weight nomex/fleece FREE jacket and pants, and gortex pants and jacket. AND of course the vest pictured below.
View attachment 34632
Camping and operating out of an assembly area in inclement weather is REAL for the Army.

CSM's still loving the sleeveless look like you mentioned before?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CSM's still loving the sleeveless look like you mentioned before?
As soon as I see the term CSM, I shake my head. I have a sincere disdain for Army CSMs....do nothing sacred cows that get in the way of progress.

Sea Story: When I was on my 2007 IA to Baghdad, Iraq, I worked as an EWO for the Army. For the most part, day-to-day we wore Army ACUs so I started Flight Suit Friday. Me and my fellow EWOs would wear Khaki bags on Friday.

I'm at the Dining Facility (DFAC) when the CSM approaches me and informs me that only people that go outside the wire are authorized to wear flight suits. I inform him that I am in an active flight status and collect flight pay, and that I am in-fact authorized to wear a flight suit (pointing to my NFO wings). He left me alone after that.
//Sea Story
//CSM rant

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As soon as I see the term CSM, I shake my head. I have a sincere disdain for Army CSMs....do nothing sacred cows that get in the way of progress.

Sea Story: When I was on my 2007 IA to Baghdad, Iraq, I worked as an EWO for the Army. For the most part, day-to-day we wore Army ACUs so I started Flight Suit Friday. Me and my fellow EWOs would wear Khaki bags on Friday.

I'm at the Dining Facility (DFAC) when the CSM approaches me and informs me that only people that go outside the wire are authorized to wear flight suits. I inform him that I am in an active flight status and collect flight pay, and that I am in-fact authorized to wear a flight suit (pointing to my NFO wings). He left me alone after that.
//Sea Story
//CSM rant
I was there at about the same time and that was probably CSM Mellinger…or “that fucking asshole” as I knew him. I crossed his path and he had his say about my failings as a soldier to which I gave a basic “roger sergeant major” while barely avoiding rolling my eyes. I think he caught my attitude and in his continued rant he happened to say…”I’ll bet you’re some kind of fucking National Guardsman…” I interrupted him saying “Sergeant Major, you are here because it is your full time job, I am here because it is my duty and as an American citizen I don’t have to tolerate your language or dismissing my volunteer service.” and walked away.

A little later in the DFAC (probably the same one) his butt-sniffing Spec 4 came over and said something about “knowing my name” so (since I outranked him) I told him not to confuse his masters bark with his own bite and to get out of my sight. Never heard from Mellinger again.

not_the_lasagna

pilot
Reading over this thread, there is much debate on the merits of the Wings-n-things patches, with no examples. As Typsy Gypsy still has no Navy license to make patches, and the Jax NEX personnel quitting, I pulled the trigger on the w-n-t embossed ones and figured I'd post an example of what they actually look like to let ya'll be the judge. I ordered the flag as well because I figured that was a requirement, only to learn that officially, the opposite is true. 'Course, there seems to be absolutely zero consistency in how anyone is wearing their leather, which is just fine by me. Personally, I'll probably just stick with the name tag.

Also, to the ensign in API/NIFE whatever it is now reading through this thread, heed the advice of your seniors and get a size up. Odds are you will not be the lanky lad/lass you are fresh out of -insert commissioning source here-.

Gouge I hear is to go out in town to have them put on, let ya'll know how that goes.

Attachments

• wnt1.jpg
    wnt1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
  • wnt2.jpg
    wnt2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I got mine put on at the Adamec Harley store (just make sure to tell her exactly where you want it or you may end up with it too low). I have also had some patches put on at Gus' Luggage Repair and they will open up the seam and stitch it so you dont see the lines in the liner if that matters to you. Shame TG has no license right now.