• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Aircraft You Never Hear Anything About

Stubby

Ask the Chief
The P-8 doesn't really exist yet. A few pilots that I know have had the opportunity to fly a stripped out 737 that Boeing is touring to various bases.... The reviews are positive, we'll see when the package is complete.

AIR_P-8A_MMA_Changed_Wing_lg.jpg

Artist's rendition......

xinsrc_58208031110473597649183.jpg

The closest thing to a "real" P-8

vp5_02_25aug2006.jpg

And of course... here is the tube.....

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I think this plane is highly over looked in the Navy......as it should be :sleep_125

C-2Aairborne.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I always wanted to fly one of these ..... Well, Son of a Gun ... looks like one of my 'ol B/N's already beat me to it ....

Any guesses as to what the "A" in A-26 stands for in the picture below .... ??? :)

Trivia: The Navy called 'em "Jig-Dog's" (JD-1/UB-26-J) .... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What are you up to in PCOLA now Bunk? NFO VTs?

NETSAFA DET OIC at Whiting (basically the student control officer of foriegn pilots). I'm actually traveling right now, visiting family in Texas. I'll be assigned to one of the VT's in Whiting as an IP. Trying to get on as an IP at Sherman as well.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ohh Foriegn students, Im so sorry. Hopefully you get to Whiting soon.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
The only F-5s in the Navy are at NAS Fallon, NV with a permanent det at NAS Key West, FL (VFC-13). Marines have them at MCAS Yuma, AZ (VMFAT-401 I think).

In that case, I guess that they are TDY at North Island. I drove past them this morning on my way home from HSC-3. As far as I know, they've been here for at least the last month or so. I'll get some pictures of them next time I'm on base and maybe all you strike bubbas out there can tell me what base they belong to.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Trivia: The Navy has F-16s.

I thought all the F-16N (navy version) aircraft were currently grounded?
Something about the wing spars or something needing to be repaired due to the constant G loading they had without the nifty AF maint. money to keep them going strong. And Navy funding cuts prevented getting them back flying again...which sounds about right.

Can anyone confirm if this is still true?

Also, no gun in the F-16N....

That would be a sweet gig, though. Advs fighter trainer in an F-16N all the time? Where do I sign?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought all the F-16N (navy version) aircraft were currently grounded?
Something about the wing spars or something needing to be repaired due to the constant G loading they had without the nifty AF maint. money to keep them going strong. And Navy funding cuts prevented getting them back flying again...which sounds about right.

Can anyone confirm if this is still true?

Also, no gun in the F-16N....

That would be a sweet gig, though. Advs fighter trainer in an F-16N all the time? Where do I sign?

F-16N's were used from '88 to the mid '90's. The were retired because of cracks discovered in the bulkheads. The Navy got a hold of some F-16A/B's in 2003 that were built for the Pakistani's but had been embargoed because of their nuclear program. They sat out in desert for about 10 years after being rolled off the production line because Pakistan had already paid for them. After trying to seel them to several buyers in the '90's, they we agreed to lease them to New Zealand in the late 90's for cheap. It was cancelled by the new government soon after that and they had to pay a penalty. After 9/11 and our renewed friendship with the Paki's we finally settled the final bill and paid them back. The Air Force and Navy split the fleet down the middle, with the AF using them for TPS and chase birds at Andrews and the Navy using them as Adversary aircraft.

I saw in a recent article that they were going to be delivered to Pakistan after refurbishment, along with the new F-16's they bought. Any truth to that rumor?